• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many Republican Senators will vote to impeach Trump?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are you observant?

Do Canadians vote to impeach? I don't know, but I do know you don't have a clue how the US political system works...obvious..:doh

OP question...
= stupid question.

The obvious answer is zero since Senators don't vote to impeach.

Do Canadians vote to impeach? I don't know, but I do know you don't have a clue how the US political system works...obvious..:doh

OP question... = stupid question.

The obvious answer is zero since Senators don't vote to impeach.

Took ya quite some time to calm down to this angry post

Ya know many say there is no such thing as a stupid question?

Zero is my guess, based on things as they stand at this cosmic moment in time.

But I also think all the Democratic senators will vote 'yea'.

We really shouldn't call non-party-line voters "defectors". I understand what's meant by the word, but the last thing America needs is language that likens party loyalty to valour, and voting one's conscience (ideally in line with the majority of one's constituency) to defecting to the enemy.

I'm just a foreign observer, but if every US senator voted objectively--the way they'd reasonably vote if they had absolutely no idea what Party they belonged to and Pres. Trump belonged to--I would be content with the outcome, whatever that might be.

Ya know many say there is no such thing as a stupid question?
When you say "many", are you referring to many people or to many molecules of lithium?

You sell Republicans short. What you suggest only works as a short term strategy. The GOP will see the writing on the wall and shift to appeal to older Latinos.

i don't see him winning a Republican presidential nomination again. being a plutocrat who shows up at factories to tell workers that their company has been purchased and they're fired was satisfactory for 2012, but it's not enough anymore. now a successful Republican candidate will have to be xenophobic, stupid, and possibly deranged to really shine in the primary.

I believe there could be ONE that wants his name in the news.

Pls post who you think will vote to Impeach
Yes it will pass the House

Going to make this a time limited poll as further public testimony is to come and may change numbers

The 10 most vulnerable senators in 2020: Republicans play defense

2020 Senate elections: Gardner, McSally and Jones run in key races

I said 4-5 GOP Senators vote for impeachment and removal. I'llalso say that there is a very good chance that Democrats Jones, Alabama and Manchin West Virginia vote NAY on impeachment. Trump has a 60% approval rating in Alabama and 61% in West Virginia. A vote to convict by Jones ends all chances for his reelection.

I said 4-5 GOP Senators vote for impeachment and removal. I'llalso say that there is a very good chance that Democrats Jones, Alabama and Manchin West Virginia vote NAY on impeachment. Trump has a 60% approval rating in Alabama and 61% in West Virginia. A vote to convict by Jones ends all chances for his reelection.

I have been between 2-3 and 4 -5

My opinion= Pelosi was dead set against Impeachment, and was literally pushed into it by recent events

From the WB report being with held, Trumps release of a summary of the call,not a transcript and reputable witnesses closed testimony.

Pelosi has a narrow focus, over by at the latest, early Jan and off to the Senate

Wound Trump with Independents, with public testimony and a quick end in the Senate

As I am not from the US, I found this little gem from the Clinton Impeachment which some members may not be aware of

Now will McConnell go this way?

Impeachment of Bill Clinton - Wikipedia
Verdict

On February 9, after voting against a public deliberation on the verdict, the Senate began closed-door deliberations instead. On February 12, the Senate emerged from its closed deliberations and voted on the articles of impeachment. A two-thirds vote, 67 votes, would have been necessary to convict and remove the President from office. The perjury charge was defeated with 45 votes for conviction and 55 against, and the obstruction of justice charge was defeated with 50 for conviction and 50 against.[3][30][31] Senator Arlen Specter voted "not proved" for both charges,[32] which was considered by Chief Justice Rehnquist to constitute a vote of "not guilty". All 45 Democrats in the Senate voted "not guilty" on both charges, as did five Republicans; they were joined by five additional Republicans in voting "not guilty" on the perjury charge.[3][30][31]

You sell Republicans short. What you suggest only works as a short term strategy. The GOP will see the writing on the wall and shift to appeal to older Latinos.

i'll believe that when i see it.

Collins and Murkowski and the dude from CO. Possibly. But, if they perceive they will be excoriated as RINO's and that is too unbearable for them they will toe the party line. Remember we're dealing with Republicans. They are authoritarian by nature. And they hate deviations that would make someone "the other". So, if one of those breaks party ranks they will be ostracized because Republicans demand obedience and uniformity in their hierarchy.

IIRC Alaska's RINO isn't planning on running again. Didn't she vote against Kavanaugh too?

IIRC Alaska's RINO isn't planning on running again. Didn't she vote against Kavanaugh too?

Not sure if she is running again or even up for re-election in 2020. and yeah she made the right call and voted against Brett "The Half Barrel" Kavanaugh. Hence you excoriating her as a RINO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if she is running again or even up for re-election in 2020. and yeah she made the right call and voted against Brett "The Half Barrel" Kavanaugh. Hence you excoriating her as a RINO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well I am glad Kavanaugh was seated since the charges were of dubious validity and the accusers were proven to be liars for the most part. But she seems to be growing a horn the last few years. Of course, one poster called Collins a "rape enabler" or something similar for her vote in favor of Kavanaugh

I believe there could be ONE that wants his name in the news.

Maybe your Ted Cruz?
Not running for reelection until 2024.
He was pretty angry at The Donald in 2016.
Cruz goes off on DJT at the 1:45 mark.......

[video]https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/politics/donald-trump-rafael-cruz-indiana/index.html[/video]

Ouch, good stuff.
They've made up and appear to be best buds nowadays, but you never know.
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

I have been between 2-3 and 4 -5

My opinion= Pelosi was dead set against Impeachment, and was literally pushed into it by recent events

From the WB report being with held, Trumps release of a summary of the call,not a transcript and reputable witnesses closed testimony.

Pelosi has a narrow focus, over by at the latest, early Jan and off to the Senate

Wound Trump with Independents, with public testimony and a quick end in the Senate

As I am not from the US, I found this little gem from the Clinton Impeachment which some members may not be aware of

Now will McConnell go this way?

Impeachment of Bill Clinton - Wikipedia

The vote in the senate will be pretty much along party lines. I think Pelosi was trying to protect some of her freshmen congressmen. 31 of the 40 seats the Democrats picked up in 2018 were in districts won by Trump back in 2016. Also Pelosi knows there is zero chance of conviction in the senate and realizes this who thing is a waste of time, money and energy.

This whole thing is a purely partisan affair. On average looking over the impeachment polls 85% of Democrats want Trump impeached and removed from office. That is countered by approximately 85% of Republicans who don't. You can't get more partisan than that. I'm pretty much indifferent to the whole affair as I realize this is a battle between the two major parties. What this shows to me, proves is that the polarization and ultra high partisanship has enveloped Washington to a degree that it is becoming very harmful to this nation.

It use not to be this way, but when both major parties are shrinking, that leaves more and more ideologues in charge of both. The willingness to work across the aisle with the other party through compromise, give and take, even respecting and being civilized with the other party has disappeared.

Maybe your Ted Cruz?
Not running for reelection until 2024.
He was pretty angry at The Donald in 2016.
Cruz goes off on DJT at the 1:45 mark.......

[video]https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/politics/donald-trump-rafael-cruz-indiana/index.html[/video]

Ouch, good stuff.
They've made up and appear to be best buds nowadays, but you never know.
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

Ted Cruz is utterly spineless. Trump insulted his wife and Cruz still kissed his ass. Think about that. Think about how much you have to be completely lacking of any spine or integrity for you to publicly kiss the ass of a man that insulted your wife.

The vote in the senate will be pretty much along party lines. I think Pelosi was trying to protect some of her freshmen congressmen. 31 of the 40 seats the Democrats picked up in 2018 were in districts won by Trump back in 2016. Also Pelosi knows there is zero chance of conviction in the senate and realizes this who thing is a waste of time, money and energy.

This whole thing is a purely partisan affair. On average looking over the impeachment polls 85% of Democrats want Trump impeached and removed from office. That is countered by approximately 85% of Republicans who don't. You can't get more partisan than that. I'm pretty much indifferent to the whole affair as I realize this is a battle between the two major parties. What this shows to me, proves is that the polarization and ultra high partisanship has enveloped Washington to a degree that it is becoming very harmful to this nation.

It use not to be this way, but when both major parties are shrinking, that leaves more and more ideologues in charge of both. The willingness to work across the aisle with the other party through compromise, give and take, even respecting and being civilized with the other party has disappeared.

The vote will be partisan. What Trump did would be deserving of impeachment though regardless of who controlled congress.

As it is, it's pointless. It could come out that Trump raped a 15 year old girl and the Republican response would be "Yeah, well what was she wearing?".

The vote will be partisan. What Trump did would be deserving of impeachment though regardless of who controlled congress.

As it is, it's pointless. It could come out that Trump raped a 15 year old girl and the Republican response would be "Yeah, well what was she wearing?".

Here's something I found interesting from another thread.

62% of people who approve of the job Donald Trump is doing as president say they can't think of anything he could do that would cause him to lose their support, according to a Monmouth University poll published Tuesday.

and

The other side: Among those who disapprove of the job Trump is doing (467 respondents), 70% say there's nothing the president could do to gain their support.

Poll: 62% of Trump supporters say nothing he could do would change opinion - Axios

So you're correct, but that also applies to the other side. Both sides are entrenched. You could say war has been declared between our major parties. Trump is very polarizing, but I think we'd be going through this whole thing had Hillary won. It won't change regardless of who wins in 2020.

Collins and Romney to answer the OP.

Manchin and Jones will likely flip for the D's, so it will be a wash.

The Jones flip won't help him keep his seat, Gardner is probably screwed no matter how he votes. Romney is the poster boy anti-trumper, Collins is the definition of RINO.

So if this thing rolls out of the House, we will all get to see exactly where everybody stands just before the election.

Ted Cruz is utterly spineless. Trump insulted his wife and Cruz still kissed his ass. Think about that. Think about how much you have to be completely lacking of any spine or integrity for you to publicly kiss the ass of a man that insulted your wife.

You are correct.
Cruz called Trump out in that CNN press conference, refused to endorse DJT at the convention.
But since then he has swallowed his pride, dignity and become a Trump toady.
He's almost as pathetic as Lindsay Graham.
I wonder if Ted's lack of backbone contributed to his unexpectedly narrow victory over Beto?

No Senators will vote to impeach Trump. The Senate doesn't vote on impeachment.

It will take 67 votes to convict and I don't see 19 republicans voting to convict in fact I agree with you that a couple democrats could vote not to convict...this whole impeachment is nothing but political grandstanding by democrats and will hurt them at the voting booth in Nov 2020 just as it hurt republican after the Clinton Senate hearings to convict.

That trend has been awfully shaky lately. There is really nothing that ive seen that would signify this as a losing issue for democrats.

That trend has been awfully shaky lately. There is really nothing that ive seen that would signify this as a losing issue for democrats.

It was an open question before, but yeah, thus far this has put Democrats on extremely strong ground.

Sorry Southern(my esteemed cousin). Accept the idea that folks who admire and appreciate the things President Trump has done, aren't blind to practical values. That obverse Cow pie too, is a lazy accusation. We admire truth, but hate gossip. As a Southerner, you know that.

That one such yourself, has bought into the wild card Mantra of the anti-Americanist's is proof positive of the power of the anti-American core of loud mouths.

Regards,
CP

Back
Top Bottom