• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many people would fall for this?

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
If someone starts truthfully proclaiming to be of "Iberian" descent, what proportion of people would act like they know where it is? Imagine conversing like it's a country. You mention that is has two capitals and basically just see how far you can take it to see if the other person ever catches on. I'm tempted to put one of my sons up to this.

Likely

If someone starts truthfully proclaiming to be of "Iberian" descent, what proportion of people would act like they know where it is? Imagine conversing like it's a country. You mention that is has two capitals and basically just see how far you can take it to see if the other person ever catches on. I'm tempted to put one of my sons up to this.

Anyone with a high-school level education in either Spanish or Portuguese, anyone who's studied either one of the languages or cultures (or nations) past the introductory course. & anyone who's studied Latin or Greek past the intro course, can work out the root.

Re: Likely

If they were actually descended from people from Iberia I would probably give them as much credibility as I would give anyone that is 8th generation American claiming to be Scottish, Irish, or African.

Question for you: Without looking it up, could you find Iberia on a map?

Question for you: Without looking it up, could you find Iberia on a map?

Looking it up implies finding a map. By imagining a map in my mind, I can visualize the shape of Iberia. Keep in mind that its boundaries changed over the centuries. You didn't specify a map from which time period.

Of course if my sons wanted to take it a step further, they could truthfully claim to be of Lusitanian descent.

In fact, everyone in our family is a Lusophone.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I feel like half the people I know(maybe more) would need to be reminded what the Iberian peninsula is...

And I guess they don't really need to know that information... doesn't really matter to most people.

I know my sister couldn't even point to where England is on a map. :/

Is there anyone in the USA with a high school education who doesn't know that Spain and Portugal form the Iberian peninsular ?

Unfortunately, I feel like half the people I know(maybe more) would need to be reminded what the Iberian peninsula is...

And I guess they don't really need to know that information... doesn't really matter to most people.

I know my sister couldn't even point to where England is on a map. :/

Is there anyone in the USA with a high school education who doesn't know that Spain and Portugal form the Iberian peninsular ?

I guarantee you the vast majority of high school educated Americans don’t know where the Iberian peninsula is. I bet less than 10% do.

The ONLY reason I knew about it was my previous career. I don’t recall ever hearing about it in high school or college.

I guarantee you the vast majority of high school educated Americans don’t know where the Iberian peninsula is. I bet less than 10% do.

The ONLY reason I knew about it was my previous career. I don’t recall ever hearing about it in high school or college.

How many Euros know what the top part of Florida is called? What if that was a name instead of a description?

We can probably find a geographic and population relative region in the US no Euro would know the name of.

There are four capital cities on the Iberian Penninsula: one for each of the three sovereign states and one for the British Overseas Territory, .

Four Heads of State...one Queen, one King, two Princes, and a President, although the Queen and one of the Princes do not actually live on the penninsula.

Last edited:

Please. There are American adults that dont know why we celebrate the 4th of July.

Jay Leno asked the question on Jaywalking. I dont care how much they edited it...there were still plenty of people shown that had no idea.

Re: Likely

Anyone with a high-school level education in either Spanish or Portuguese, anyone who's studied either one of the languages or cultures (or nations) past the introductory course. & anyone who's studied Latin or Greek past the intro course, can work out the root.

That. If not, fail.

And I'm not surprised if many dont...but that doesnt mean they didnt learn it in grammar school or high school.

In some states it is illegal to not answer a question about the Iberian Pen when asked by the police...

Uhh... yeah. I had a student that thought that France was the state next to Nevada... and we were in California. I had students who did not know where the Pacific Ocean was... AND WE WERE IN CALIFORNIA. I had a student that thought that 28 Days Later was a DOCUMENTARY.... the amount of ****ing stupid out there is astounding.

¿Qué pasó?

Many Americans think that I need a visa to leave New Mexico.

That's definitely the case for ANYONE wanting to enter Texas.

texas-its-like-a-whole-other-country-73778557.jpg

Looking it up implies finding a map. By imagining a map in my mind, I can visualize the shape of Iberia...

Do you mean the airline or the Iberian peninsular ?

Do you even know how many countries are in the Iberian peninsular ?

agreed whats even more funny .. sad . . funny . . or just reality I guess is I bet just as few know mexico is the United Mexican States and theres 31 of them, each with there own flag . . now they aren't quite like our states but are referred to as states none the less.

Back
Top Bottom