• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

HOw many people making 50K a year are paying an EFFECTIVE FED INCOME TAX RATE OF 14%

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
well the obama campaign is claiming that its not fair that someone making 50K a year is paying a higher effective FIT rate than Romney

Guess what

ITS A LIE.

Re: HOw many people making 50K a year are paying an EFFECTIVE FED INCOME TAX RATE OF

well the obama campaign is claiming that its not fair that someone making 50K a year is paying a higher effective FIT rate than Romney

Guess what

ITS A LIE.

Damn straight it's lie.

I'm so sick of hearing that bull****!!!

Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-

Re: HOw many people making 50K a year are paying an EFFECTIVE FED INCOME TAX RATE OF

Damn straight it's lie.

I'm so sick of hearing that bull****!!!

Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-Like-

Its the latest Obamatard campaign commercial based on a 60 minute interview of Romney

its a complete lie

Why are you engaging in class warfare?

Post a link to the actual claim, please.

President Obama's campaign, with a good dose of help from the media, is pushing a claim that millionaire Mitt Romney is taxed at a "lower rate" than someone making $50,000 a year.

The claim, though, is open to debate. It only holds up in a particular scenario in which both income and all payroll taxes are counted.

The president's campaign presumably is referring to Romney's release last week of his 2011 tax returns, which showed he paid an effective tax rate of 14.1 percent.

This revelation, as might be expected, fueled a wave of campaign stump speeches and videos. The latest was an Obama Web video blasting Romney's "strange take on tax fairness." It included clips of people accusing Romney of paying a lower rate than "average" Americans. An accompanying campaign email said: "Mitt Romney admitted he thinks it's fair that his $20 million income was taxed at a lower rate than someone making $50,000."

IRS data, though, shows that Romney's effective income tax rate -- that's what he pays as a percentage of his income once deductions and other benefits are factored in -- is actually far higher than what most Americans pay. And it's certainly higher than what someone making $50,000 pays.

IRS data from 2010 shows someone making between $50,000 and $75,000 on average pays an effective rate of 7.8 percent. Even someone making between $100,000 and $200,000 pays a 12.1 percent rate -- also lower than Romney's....

The latter percentage, though, comes down once deductions and exemptions are included. The Tax Foundation estimated in a report in January that Romney's rate in 2010 -- which was also about 14 percent -- was higher than what 97 percent of Americans pay.

Read more: Fact Check: Is Romney's tax rate really lower than yours? | Fox News

Thanks. As I noted, the claim is TRUE when you include all federal taxes. Apparently the ad didn't specifically limit the claim to income taxes.

The fact that they are even in the same ballpark to be disputed is ridiculous in itself.

Thanks. As I noted, the claim is TRUE when you include all federal taxes. Apparently the ad didn't specifically limit the claim to income taxes.

No, you're right, the claims don't mention that he doesn't pay Social Security tax and that one has to include that to make the claim even close to true -- of course, he won't collect any either.

No, you're right, the claims don't mention that he doesn't pay Social Security tax and that one has to include that to make the claim even close to true -- of course, he won't collect any either.

Not sure what you're getting at there. The social security tax Romney paid, if any, wouldn't increase his total federal tax rate by a hundredth of a point.

Guess what

ITS A LIE.

Barak Hussein Obama is a LIE...

end of story.

Regardless if it is true or not, when you defend the rich it still makes you sound like an asshole even most rich get that and for the record isn't there like not even 5 million millionaires in USA? Do you seriously think they need defending or better yet, that most of them even care if they are taxed like they were 14 years ago? Not only that as a percentage of their income, they usually pay less into state, local, social security and Medicare.

I'm not saying tax them to death. All I'm saying is make it reasonable like it was in the past and slowly phase out certain tax deductions for them as well as those for families like my own making around $50,000 along with making reasonable cuts to all parts of our government.

Don't you understand? He may not be collecting, but he should be paying for everyone else's retirement. It's not fair that they only get back what they pay in, they should get back what he pays in.

Not sure what you're getting at there. The social security tax Romney paid, if any, wouldn't increase his total federal tax rate by a hundredth of a point.

No, it wouldn't increase Romney's. But one has to use that tax in order to get a $50K earner (or a $75K earner, for that matter) up to Romney's rate. He doesn't pay it. He doesn't receive it. I actually disagree that FICA is a tax -- it's an annuity, in my opinion -- a retirement fund. All that money people pay in? People start getting it back when they retire.

I always use my Tommy's SS statement as a reference. He receives $1800 a month. He will have all of the money he put into those "taxes" back in his pocket in about three-and-a-half years.

Don't you understand? He may not be collecting, but he should be paying for everyone else's retirement. It's not fair that they only get back what they pay in, they should get back what he pays in.

Are you delusional?? If you think that's what ought to happen, then you'd better talk to your Congress Clowns. The only thing on which FICA is collected is a salary from a company. When he worked at Bain, I'm quite sure he paid it. When you just earn dividends, interest, capital gains, etc., etc., you do not pay FICA. Neither do you get credit for it when you go to collect Social Security.

Are you delusional?? If you think that's what ought to happen, then you'd better talk to your Congress Clowns. The only thing on which FICA is collected is a salary from a company. When he worked at Bain, I'm quite sure he paid it. When you just earn dividends, interest, capital gains, etc., etc., you do not pay FICA. Neither do you get credit for it when you go to collect Social Security.

I should have put a sarcasm indicator in there. I was mocking the folks who believe that.

Regardless if it is true or not, when you defend the rich it still makes you sound like an asshole even most rich get that and for the record isn't there like not even 5 million millionaires in USA? Do you seriously think they need defending or better yet, that most of them even care if they are taxed like they were 14 years ago? Not only that as a percentage of their income, they usually pay less into state, local, social security and Medicare.

I'm not saying tax them to death. All I'm saying is make it reasonable like it was in the past and slowly phase out certain tax deductions for them as well as those for families like my own making around $50,000 along with making reasonable cuts to all parts of our government.

You are wrong. They don't usually pay less, state/local/SS/Medicare. If they earn a salary, which at this time Romney does not, he pays the same as everyone else. "The rich" pay more in real estate tax than I earn in a year. They probably pay more sales tax (because of their consumption) than any 25 people you know. At least. They pay plenty of taxes.

And no, it doesn't make people sound like assholes who defend the rich. If you have complaints about how little income tax rich people pay, I suggest you write your Congress Clown. He's the one responsible for it. Not "the rich."

You don't think there's class warfare in this country? You'd be wrong. People like you are leading the march down the dark country road with torches in your hands.

I should have put a sarcasm indicator in there. I was mocking the folks who believe that.

I done been punked. ;)

You are wrong. They don't usually pay less, state/local/SS/Medicare. If they earn a salary, which at this time Romney does not, he pays the same as everyone else. "The rich" pay more in real estate tax than I earn in a year. They probably pay more sales tax (because of their consumption) than any 25 people you know. At least. They pay plenty of taxes.

And no, it doesn't make people sound like assholes who defend the rich. If you have complaints about how little income tax rich people pay, I suggest you write your Congress Clown. He's the one responsible for it. Not "the rich."

You don't think there's class warfare in this country? You'd be wrong. People like you are leading the march down the dark country road with torches in your hands.

I done been punked. ;)

As a percentage of income yes they pay less for those things. State, local taxes I can't say for every state but that's how it is in Kentucky and several other states. I'm sorry that I offended you. Keep up the good work defending your masters.

So, now you're including payroll taxes, social security and medicare? Be careful all that spin don't make you drunk.

Barak Hussein Obama is a LIE...

end of story.

That might have been the most contributional post in this thread. Bravo.

In other news, I'm disappointed in the fallacy of these ads, but also, they're ads. So... its really just a small piece of a large problem I wish we could fix.

Fox news fact checking? You mean the people who cannot get facts straight are pretending to be fact checkers? The people who blatantly lie on a regular basis are the people who you trust with your facts? The people who say the world is a few thousand years old, pollution doesn't exist, their is a war on christmas, evolution doesn't exist, Obama was born in kenya, coal burning is clean, and that they are fair and balanced despite being overwhelmingly biased are your source for facts? The people who consider Donald trimp, Sarah palin, Mark fuhrman, and Alan west reliable correspondants are your source for facts? The people who think Bill O'rielly, Rush Limbaugh, Sean hannity, Steve Ducey, that bimbo gretchen, and Glen beck are news reporters are the people you get your facts from? The station that multiple countries will not allow to broadcast news because they lie so often is the one you get your facts from? The station owned by rupert murdoch who is best known for being the world's biggest tabloid producer and is up on charges in other countries for lying and doing crazy ass **** like hacking into the voicemail of terrorist victims is who you are getting your facts from?

No wonder you are so poorly informed.

Yes, dear. Don't like the source, make Google your friend. It's all over the place.

As a percentage of income yes they pay less for those things. State, local taxes I can't say for every state but that's how it is in Kentucky and several other states. I'm sorry that I offended you. Keep up the good work defending your masters.

What makes you think you offended me? I've noticed when people run out of good arguments, they often use insults to cover their tracks. I don't blame you, John, you just ran out of things to say.

Yes, dear. Don't like the source, make Google your friend. It's all over the place.

Yeah, then why didn't you use a reliable one?

Fox news fact checking? You mean the people who cannot get facts straight are pretending to be fact checkers? The people who blatantly lie on a regular basis are the people who you trust with your facts? The people who say the world is a few thousand years old, pollution doesn't exist, their is a war on christmas, evolution doesn't exist, Obama was born in kenya, coal burning is clean, and that they are fair and balanced despite being overwhelmingly biased are your source for facts? The people who consider Donald trimp, Sarah palin, Mark fuhrman, and Alan west reliable correspondants are your source for facts? The people who think Bill O'rielly, Rush Limbaugh, Sean hannity, Steve Ducey, that bimbo gretchen, and Glen beck are news reporters are the people you get your facts from? The station that multiple countries will not allow to broadcast news because they lie so often is the one you get your facts from? The station owned by rupert murdoch who is best known for being the world's biggest tabloid producer and is up on charges in other countries for lying and doing crazy ass **** like hacking into the voicemail of terrorist victims is who you are getting your facts from?

I fought my way through your rant that lacks paragraphing, logic, and any point. I did notice you constructed several straw men, attacked the source, and managed to call a very smart person poorly informed based on one quotation. While this post did a great job of butchering quality debate, it failed to rebut a single thing in the post you were addressing.

So, I'm wondering if you have anything relevant either to the OP or to her post to add.

Back
Top Bottom