• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many people do you know that would do business with segregationists?

Would you or anyone you know do business with a store that had a openly racist policy

• Over half the people I know would frequent such a business

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most people I know would frequent such a business

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Psychoclown

Clown Prince of Politics
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Based on the "John Stossel called for a repeal of the public accomodations portion of the Civil Rights Act" thread. If that portion was repealed and it was legal to openly deny service based on race and such a business opened up in your neighborhood, would you do business there? Would anyone you know do business there?

Poll options will be up shortly. Have patience.

EDIT: Can a mod fix the typo in the title. I hate my typing skills (or lack thereof).

Last edited:
Re: How many people do you kow that would do a business with segregationists?

It's hard to say.
I wouldn't think many people I know would be doing business with Walmart, but I guess people are selfish and avaricious by nature, and will throw their principles to the winds when it comes to being able to purchase whatever trashy geegaws they want at lower prices and all in one convenient location.

I'm white. If a black owner denied service to whites, I'd have no choice. I couldn't shop/eat/drink there.
Oh you probably meant... If a white owner denied service to blacks... would I go there. Absolutely not and I don't know anyone who would.

I wouldn't spend my money at any store that refused service to people of any race, religion, or sexual orientation. I know a few people who would visit a store light that only if they had good prices (people who put super savings above company ethics).

I wouldn't spend my money at any store that refused service to people of any race, religion, or sexual orientation. I know a few people who would visit a store light that only if they had good prices (people who put super savings above company ethics).

I can't see that any business would be able to have super savings if they were say.. a whites only or blacks only establishment. Prices are kept down by the volumn of sales they are able to make.
Possibly an elite black or white store could stay in business, but I doubt it.

If I was aware of such a policy, I would avoid such a store for a couple reasons:

Because they had such a policy.
Because the owner(s)/employee(s) would likely have certain views that, if I were around them, might give me the urge to do physical harm to them.

If I wasn’t aware of such a policy, I would go to such a place if they had something that gave me reason to.

In the immediate area that I live in, the majority of the population is White/Caucasian, so lack of minorities in a small business would not set off alarm bells. A large one, such as Wal-Mart (although I can't see them putting such a policy in place, they didn't get to the point they are by being stupid), is another story.

I casually know of a few people who might still go to a place with such a policy, and less who might because of such a policy.

About….2-5 people, that I’ve come into contact with face-to-face.

Last edited:

It's hard to say.
I wouldn't think many people I know would be doing business with Walmart, but I guess people are selfish and avaricious by nature, and will throw their principles to the winds when it comes to being able to purchase whatever trashy geegaws they want at lower prices and all in one convenient location.

In a way i think your right but only when people are detached from the situation i think at least in free societies the majority of people will do the right thing.

Based on the "John Stossel called for a repeal of the public accomodations portion of the Civil Rights Act" thread. If that portion was repealed and it was legal to openly deny service based on race and such a business opened up in your neighborhood, would you do business there? Would anyone you know do business there?

Poll options will be up shortly. Have patience.

EDIT: Can a mod fix the typo in the title. I hate my typing skills (or lack thereof).

I voted that I wouldn't patronize a store like that. It does remind me of one time when my party of six was asked to leave an otherwise all black church gathering at a fund-raiser held at Arlington Park Race Track. We bought tickets quite by accident. But decided to stay once we realized what had happened. After about thirty minutes, the minister came over and very nicely asked us if we'd mind moving out of their church gathering....said we'd probaby be more comfortable. He was right. We were.

Here we have a Cowboys of Color rodeo.
Or at least we did have one, at least once.
I was downtown with my kids who were about 8 and 9, and they saw a poster for this rodeo and asked me a billion questions about it.
My conclusion was that minority cowboys have traditionally excluded from regular rodeos, and so they've started their own.
Although I don't for sure if that's true. It just sounds convincing.

I would conduct business with a business that had segregation. I would have no problems with it if everyone had the same opportunity to have such a business.

Some persons may see me as racist for the way that I see things, perhaps I am. But I am a white heterosexual that generally prefers the company of other white heterosexual men. This is not to say that if you do not fit that description that I would not be your friend just as you may not be someone I'm interested in if you do fit that description. I generally tend to have more in common with people that more closely resemble me and my lifestyle and as a result generally get along better with them.

If a business catered exclusively to white hetero men I would probably frequent such a place. For me it works both ways. If a person wished to start a gay baseball team that only allowed gays to participate. I have absolutely no problem with it what so ever. But If I wish to have a heterosexual baseball team then I should be allowed to.

I find that most people segregate themselves by choice not even realizing it. Yet when they notice someone else doing this they are seen as racist.

How many heterosexual men here frequent a gay bar? The drinks are the same. I would guess not that many. Does this make you a homophobe? or perhaps your interests simply are not the same and therefor you go with more like minded people.

I voted 'no'. I would not knowingly patronize such an establishment nor would anyone I know. My answer is in regards to the U.S. since that's what the thread is referencing to.

However I usually prefer bars, clubs and stores where the minorities are the majority due to places I grew up, music and cultures I gre up with and I feel more comfortable with people like me. In the case of Black/Latino barber shops they're the only ones that cut my hair the way I want.

But if the place is openly racist and makes in known I will not patronize the place.

I'm hesitant to even say whether or not I'd patronize such an establishment, because I feel like if we all say we wouldn't, that will be used as an excuse, by libertarian types, why business owners should have the legal right to discriminate in this way (which i don't believe they should), because- the theory goes- the free market will drive such establishments out of business anyway, because nobody would be willing to shop there.

It's not a discussion I'm willing to have, though.
Business owners don't and shouldn't have the right to discriminate on the basis of ethnicity.
The reason I made the point about Walmart is that everybody claims it's evil, but shops there anyway.
Ideals tend to fly out the window in the face of good bargains and convenient location.
Racism and racial discrimination need to remain illegal.

Last edited:
I do live in the South and must say that a few folks I know would go to these places. And I have a feeling a LOT of people I don't know would go too:(

The reason I made the point about Walmart is that everybody claims it's evil, but shops there anyway.
Ideals tend to fly out the window in the face of good bargains and convenient location.

Great point and well said.

Here we have a Cowboys of Color rodeo.
Or at least we did have one, at least once.
I was downtown with my kids who were about 8 and 9, and they saw a poster for this rodeo and asked me a billion questions about it.
My conclusion was that minority cowboys have traditionally excluded from regular rodeos, and so they've started their own.
Although I don't for sure if that's true. It just sounds convincing.

There is also a black circus. Forget what is called something like Soul Circus or something. Of course white folks are free to attend.

There are several black cowyboys here in North and S Carolina

I do live in the South and must say that a few folks I know would go to these places. And I have a feeling a LOT of people I don't know would go too:(

I live in the South.

I'm reasonably sure none of my family or friends would patronize a business that denied service based on race, or segregated races in different rooms, etc.

Then again I choose not to hang out with racists.

Nobody I work with would go for it either, I think. I suppose if I drove around town and looked at the houses and thought about people I'd previously been acquainted with, I might think of a few who would like such a thing... but not many. Not these days. Things have changed.

Depends on the price. Like or not, everyone has their price. As much as we pretend to be high minded, if the price is right, many people don't give a **** about who they buy or sell to.

I'm hesitant to even say whether or not I'd patronize such an establishment, because I feel like if we all say we wouldn't, that will be used as an excuse, by libertarian types, why business owners should have the legal right to discriminate in this way (which i don't believe they should), because- the theory goes- the free market will drive such establishments out of business anyway, because nobody would be willing to shop there.

Business owners don't and shouldn't have the right to discriminate on the basis of ethnicity.

I find it odd you're reluctant to answer because you're afraid it would confirm we're moving away from needing government to enforce racial tolerance. Isn't a good thing that society has moved away from racism and embraced tolerance to the point where market forces would work against racists? Isn't a good thing that we may not need these laws to force people to be tolerant, because society has become more tolerant and has a deep disaproval of racism?

As for the poll results, I'm not surprised. 21 of 22 respondents say they would not do business with a store that had an open racist policy. And 21 of 22 respondents also said either no one or only a small handful of folks they know would do business with such a store. Now, I will say that I agree with Obvious Child. If a store with a racist policy was also had great prices, I think these numbers would change. Perhaps radically. I deplore racism, but if the savings were large enough, I'd probably set aside my principles to save a few bucks. Principles don't put food on the table. But fortunately being a racist scumbag has no correlation with being a super efficient businessman who can offer premium pricing. If anything, by limiting their clientel, it would hamper their ability to offer competitive pricing.

Another thing I have to say, I wonder if folks are underestimating how many people they know would shop at such places. Especially those that said no one they knew would shop there. I asked my mother this question. She's occassionally said a thing or two on race that has made me cringe, but in general I don't consider her a racist. But she shrugged and said while she doesn't support that sort of thing, it wouldn't bother her enough to make her boycott the store in question. She seemed rather indifferent to it. I was a little surprised by this.

Another shoddy attempt to try and justify tossing out the Civil Rights Amend. If it isn't needed, why the push to get rid of it? Who do racists think they are kidding? Bigots should be exposed for what they are and their businesses shut down.

Discriminate against who they would do business with? I wouldn't go and a very very small number of people I know probably would go.

Discriminate against who they hire? I'll be dead honest. You advertise that your retail or food store in Northern Virginia doesn't hire hispanics and I'd probably show up there every time because I have a significantly better chance on my first attempt at finding someone working there that might actually fluently speak in a way I can understand and more important could actually understand me....something that right now is frankly a rarity.

I'd like to go work out at Curves, but they won't let me.

correction: the libertarians don't believe the free market WILL drive such establishments out of business. They just believe that if it is a true issue for society to have segregated businesses, then society will have the opportunity to drive them out of business. But then again, if they don't mind the segregated business to the point that they will continue to shop there, then they will remain in business. They just don't think the government should be able to decide that for society.

I dont know why someone -wouldn't- do business with someone for no reason other than they are racist.

Would you not do business with someone because they are Catholic? Muslim? Gay? Straight?
Liberal? Conservative?

I'd do business with segregationists.

I'm not in business to judge anyone's character, I'm in business to make money. I've sold wedding cakes to gays and lesbians and I don't give a crap about them at all, and I've had a gangster give me $1000 from his pocket to pay for his wedding cake, no quibbles. I was selling a product, not running a ministry.

I highly doubt the average store will have any sort of racial bias. They may not enjoy a language barrier, but who does?

Back
Top Bottom