• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many people do you have on ignore

Number of people I have on ignore

Votes: 65 73.0%
  • 1-5

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • 6-10

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 11-20

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Infinity, etc

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I refuse to answer poll, but will still post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't make any sense to me. How would they even know you have them on ignore?

I had one person on ignore. (I just updated to take him off, since he was banned over 6 months ago anyway.) I put him on ignore because he advocated putting all children into government-run institutions/homes to be raised "properly" and I believe he idolized Charles Manson.

Ahhhh.....It seems someone may have "taxed" your nerves a bit too much.

I have nobody on ignore. To do so is to empower them, and to show that you cannot initiate proper point-counterpoint.

If you can't defend your position rationally and coherently, you may as well shut your mouth. You'll be made a fool of.

Ignore is a good thing. There are too many who want to post nothing but backhanded insults and flamebait. Since they offer nothing, I prefer to see the gray box.

This is a debates forum, and for those that let others get under their skin, I see the Ignore button as a signal of defeat... BUT can understand some might not be emotionally tough enough to handle turd droppings coming from the same anus over and over and hence employ the ejection button at least temporarily.

This is a debate forum, and if people are reacting instead of thinking and responding? I'm going to use the ignore button.

This is a debates forum, and for those that let others get under their skin, I see the Ignore button as a signal of defeat... BUT can understand some might not be emotionally tough enough to handle turd droppings coming from the same anus over and over and hence employ the ejection button at least temporarily.

For those of us who don't look upon DP debates as contact sport, the idea of victory or defeat seems a little silly. As is that adolescent internet concept of pwning. A victory could surely only be called if you completely convinced your debating rival of the rightness of your position and the wrongness of their own. Has that EVER happened here?

For those of us who don't look upon DP debates as contact sport, the idea of victory or defeat seems a little silly. As is that adolescent internet concept of pwning. A victory could surely only be called if you completely convinced your debating rival of the rightness of your position and the wrongness of their own. Has that EVER happened here?

This is what the losers say..... :2razz: ;) :pimpdaddy: :mrgreen:

None actually Im not too sure how to ignore someone and i dont get too mired into arguemnts with people that they bug me so much. Theres alot of folks i scroll through but its a post to post issue not a personality one. I come on the forums sometimes just casually engaging in the spit-matches, other times I find the opportunity for valuable discussion and turn the rest of my brain on and actually try and discuss. Discussions about Israel are too deeply ingrained in peoples personal realities its impossible to get the fish to see the water, so I don't really try.

I put everyone that uses a 'really big font' on ignore. I don't want to see that. That's for kids, chalk, and the sidewalk.

Touché!

But don't you find that those who claim to 'win' debates are usually those who have been losing it, big time?;)

I do. Of course when the Good Reverend does it its different. I mean look at him. How could he ever possibly lose. :pimpdaddy: :mrgreen:

Maybe it's bad form to necro a thread but I felt it might be important to clarify an old and long held position of mine.
I use the IGNORE list because it allows me to FOCUS more on people who actually want to discuss stuff, people who actually have something to say.
They don't have to share my political beliefs, they just have to be worth reading and talking to.
So yes, I do put a fair number of trolls, sock puppets and malcontents on IGNORE because it just becomes tiresome to see a thread get polluted with noise when there are far too many fine people who deserve attention. If the signal to noise ratio gets too high, then rational thought gets drowned out. So for me the IGNORE list is a filter meant for therapeutic use, to refine that which is valuable.

I recently started to try a new tactic, however.
If I put one person on IGNORE, I try to go to my IGNORE list and take another person OFF of it.
I don't want the list to just keep growing and growing, plus I really DO want to see if someone I iggied might have progressed and grown into someone worth listening to, and sometimes it is entirely possible I caught them in a bad period when they were being jerks and maybe now they're more normal again. Maybe they were just having a bad day or a bad week.

So now, the list I DO have on IGNORE is more of a rotating list, and by taking people OFF of ignore, I can always be sure that I will not find myself in an echo chamber. I enjoy learning from people outside my own ideological values...if they have something to offer which is teachable.

I'll try to do my best to LEARN.

I don't have anyone on ignore. I'll read posts and respond if warranted. I also have never once reported a post either. All's fair in love and politics.

That's something I don't think I will ever do.
Trust me, I have BEEN tempted but I just don't do it, I do NOT "report a post".
I might put someone on IGNORE if they are a troll but I won't report the post because I figure someone else already has if it's that bad.

Even if I lose, as in "getting my butt kicked completely" in a thread, I still LEARNED something, right?
Thus, even if one loses, you still win something.

Maybe it's bad form to necro a thread but I felt it might be important to clarify an old and long held position of mine.
I use the IGNORE list because it allows me to FOCUS more on people who actually want to discuss stuff, people who actually have something to say.
They don't have to share my political beliefs, they just have to be worth reading and talking to.
So yes, I do put a fair number of trolls, sock puppets and malcontents on IGNORE because it just becomes tiresome to see a thread get polluted with noise when there are far too many fine people who deserve attention. If the signal to noise ratio gets too high, then rational thought gets drowned out. So for me the IGNORE list is a filter meant for therapeutic use, to refine that which is valuable.

I recently started to try a new tactic, however.
If I put one person on IGNORE, I try to go to my IGNORE list and take another person OFF of it.
I don't want the list to just keep growing and growing, plus I really DO want to see if someone I iggied might have progressed and grown into someone worth listening to, and sometimes it is entirely possible I caught them in a bad period when they were being jerks and maybe now they're more normal again. Maybe they were just having a bad day or a bad week.

So now, the list I DO have on IGNORE is more of a rotating list, and by taking people OFF of ignore, I can always be sure that I will not find myself in an echo chamber. I enjoy learning from people outside my own ideological values...if they have something to offer which is teachable.

I'll try to do my best to LEARN.

On the other hand most brains are well trained to ignore what they want to ignore, needing a crutch to get the job done is a sign of poor training.

I encourage you to work up to doing it au naturale.

It is good for you.

And if the answer is '0', do you have them on 'faux ignore'? I.e., you just don't respond to anything they say.

I voted no, and I have no one on Ignore.

But there are a very few that I dont answer and it's not about how obnoxious or wrong or prejudiced they are.

It's about how dishonest they are. There are some people that lie about providing sources or proof or rebuttals and then go on and on saying they 'already posted it' and then wont either quote it or give you the post number. Those people are clearly lying and are such losers that they cant even admit when they're wrong AND are so delusional that they dont realize everyone else know's they're lying. They will go on and on, post after post denying it and you cant call them out on it because then 'you're the one' breaking forum rules.

A couple of them are people I even share a common perspective with on many issues with but their lack of integrity, lying, and weakness dont overcome the convenience of their agreement.

And then there are 1 or 2 that I ignore because their level of discourse is abysmally low and they're infallibly dishonest and rigid but they are the rarity.

If you put me on Ignore, I'd find that amusing and still respond to your posts, as I'm content if everyone else sees me refute your posts (or agree with them) anyway.

Last edited:
I mentally ignore who I want...usually...:2razz:

For those of us who don't look upon DP debates as contact sport, the idea of victory or defeat seems a little silly. eir own. Has that EVER happened here?

Agreed...and it's amusing to see some claim 'I won, you lost!' over and over.

Er...yeah, everyone can see what was written and they'll be the judges.

Fun fact, until I saw this thread, more than half my ignore list consisted of people who are now banned. So this was a perfect time to trim it to a...small number. :)

I took three more people OFF my ignore list just now, but unfortunately I added one new one.
But that is still TWO who I decided to take off the list.
And both of them are conservatives.
BTW five of the people on my ignore list are lefties.

It is the troll factor that makes them wind up on my list.
If they just want to throw out troll bait, it's iggy bait to me.

I took three more people OFF my ignore list just now, but unfortunately I added one new one.
But that is still TWO who I decided to take off the list.
And both of them are conservatives.
BTW five of the people on my ignore list are lefties.

It is the troll factor that makes them wind up on my list.
If they just want to throw out troll bait, it's iggy bait to me.

Sounds like progress to me....

We do still believe in progress I trust....

I am Pretty Sure that I neither have anyone on ignore, or ever have.

If I am wrong then I did a good job of forgetting about them.

I dont believe i have every put anybody on my ignore list unless it was way in the beginning. I "personally" dont put any stock in the feature. I simply ignore people if/when i want but i see how, in general, it could be a very useful tool for others.
If traffic of solid honest posting was heavy i might use the ignore then but right now the people i would ignore are 50% of the fun and enjoyment i have here. I love the HONEST different views and conversations especially random ones but since those arent always happening exposing liars is also fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom