• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many of the world's poor should the USA give asylum to?

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The leftwing tells us that the USA can absorb and benefit from giving asylum to the uneducated impoverished people of the world. Unless they are pure racists, certainly they can't mean just people from South of the border.

So in real terms the leftwing is urging the USA to grant asylum to at least the 3,000,000,000 people in the world in abject poverty living on less than $2.50 a day.

https://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-global-poverty

The collective cost per immigrant is $70,000 when all expenses figured.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...l-immigrant-costs-70-000-7x-deportation-price
The total cost of granting asylum to all 3 billion would $210,000,000,000,000 ($210 Trillion) - or approximately 2 1/2 times the GDP of the entire world. But certainly the treasury could print up $210 Trillion to cover it.

So, how many people should the USA grant asylum too if the prejudice on behalf of Latinos is eliminated and our humanitarian granting asylum is offered worldwide?

PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD - there is no warning that there is only 5 minutes to write a poll or the message automatically posts without the poll. Since there is no poll, please delete this thread.

I am not sure that is what the "lefties" are saying. Sure you need some untrained immigrants to do jobs most "White people" are unwilling or not tough enough to do.

I think it is more that the "lefties" want to let people in who are fleeing violence and crime. And live up to the motto of the US as stated in New York.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I think this is the country Liberals see as what the US should be. But they are not for leaving all the poor into the US. Only those with a real refugee status should be let in and besides that only those who come to work in the USA. At least that is the idea I got from what you call "leftists". Are there "leftists" who want to be even more than that when it comes to taking in the poor? Yes, but we are talking about the majority of the "left" and not the outliers.

Fun Fact -- if you forget to make a poll, you can click on "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread and add a poll within a time limit.

Why did it take more than 5 minutes to come up with the poll options?

The leftwing tells us that the USA can absorb and benefit from giving asylum to the uneducated impoverished people of the world. Unless they are pure racists, certainly they can't mean just people from South of the border.

So in real terms the leftwing is urging the USA to grant asylum to at least the 3,000,000,000 people in the world in abject poverty living on less than $2.50 a day.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...l-immigrant-costs-70-000-7x-deportation-price
The total cost of granting asylum to all 3 billion would $210,000,000,000,000 ($210 Trillion) - or approximately 2 1/2 times the GDP of the entire world. But certainly the treasury could print up $210 Trillion to cover it.

So, how many people should the USA grant asylum too if the prejudice on behalf of Latinos is eliminated and our humanitarian granting asylum is offered worldwide?

As many as can contribute to America which means in part as many as we can us.

No More, and we should make an effort to snag the better ones who want to come.

I am not sure that is what the "lefties" are saying. Sure you need some untrained immigrants to do jobs most "White people" are unwilling or not tough enough to do.

I think it is more that the "lefties" want to let people in who are fleeing violence and crime. And live up to the motto of the US as stated in New York.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I think this is the country Liberals see as what the US should be. But they are not for leaving all the poor into the US. Only those with a real refugee status should be let in and besides that only those who come to work in the USA. At least that is the idea I got from what you call "leftists". Are there "leftists" who want to be even more than that when it comes to taking in the poor? Yes, but we are talking about the majority of the "left" and not the outliers.

The single greatest lie told by the leftwing is using the poem of the Statute of Liberty to argue for open borders.

1. The poem plaque was added after the statute and the author was a Zionist. The poem is her urging for the state of Israel before it exists singularly for Jews. The poem is NOT for diversity, but absolute opposition to diversity

2. The USA did not have open immigration at the time of the statute of liberty or the poem. Rather, virtually without exception ONLY white people were allowed into the country.

3. The USA had NO social or welfare programs of any kind for immigrants.

Exactly NO liberal would tolerate the practices of the USA at the time of the Statute of Liberty and furiously opposes what the poem on the plaque actually is talking about - complete opposition to any ethnic, racial or religious diversity.

Fun Fact -- if you forget to make a poll, you can click on "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread and add a poll within a time limit.

Why did it take more than 5 minutes to come up with the poll options?

10 poll options that I was proof reading. Then when clicking to post it all, it only posts the message advising a 5 minute limit has passed so only the poll itself was not posted.

10 poll options that I was proof reading. Then when clicking to post it all, it only posts the message advising a 5 minute limit has passed so only the poll itself was not posted.

start another thread with the poll done in a timely fashion and ask a mod to merge the two threads.

Actually, multinational corporations are providing jobs to people in their own countries as part of multinational teams. Should we substitute "unemployable" for poor in your question?

The single greatest lie told by the leftwing is using the poem of the Statute of Liberty to argue for open borders.

1. The poem plaque was added after the statute and the author was a Zionist. The poem is her urging for the state of Israel before it exists singularly for Jews. The poem is NOT for diversity, but absolute opposition to diversity

2. The USA did not have open immigration at the time of the statute of liberty or the poem. Rather, virtually without exception ONLY white people were allowed into the country.

3. The USA had NO social or welfare programs of any kind for immigrants.

Exactly NO liberal would tolerate the practices of the USA at the time of the Statute of Liberty and furiously opposes what the poem on the plaque actually is talking about - complete opposition to any ethnic, racial or religious diversity.

Yeah, and your claims is an oversimplification of what "the left" wants.

Democrats will continue to work toward comprehensive immigration reform that fixes our nation’s broken immigration system, improves border security, prioritizes enforcement so we are targeting criminals – not families, keeps families together, and strengthens our economy.

Democrats know the importance of our country’s history as a nation of immigrants. We honor our fundamental values by treating all people who come to the United States with dignity and respect, and we always seek to embrace — not to to attack — immigrants.

strange, I read nothing about open borders?

And the poet was written about (from what I have read) Jews fleeing antisemitism. She may later have been a voice for zionism but she also worked to train fled Jews to fit into the US society.

None. Being poor shouldn't get one award asylum.

None. Being poor shouldn't get one award asylum.

The majority of people in the world are poor. The world's poor also are among the most ignorant, bigoted, racist, sexist and anti-secular people in the world - and the last people we want to influence our political system - a topic NO ONE ever talks about. They WILL bring their bad values with them and will teach their children those values, who will vote upon those values.

We should give asylum to 0% of economic refugees.

PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD - there is no warning that there is only 5 minutes to write a poll or the message automatically posts without the poll. Since there is no poll, please delete this thread.

The very idea of borders is racist... we should eliminate the border and cooperate with our neighbors.

We have to deport the wealthy and the middle class in order to render us into poverty. Then, no one will want to emigrate to the United States

It's the only way to stop the problem and make America great again!

We have to deport the wealthy and the middle class in order to render us into poverty. Then, no one will want to emigrate to the United States

It's the only way to stop the problem and make America great again!

The Democratic Party wants to eliminate the middle class, but worships rich people.

The leftwing tells us that the USA can absorb and benefit from giving asylum to the uneducated impoverished people of the world.?

How many of the world's poor should the USA give asylum to?

None, asylum is predicated on the notion that the applicant is fleeing DANGER, not poverty.
Thread fail

But since you asked, how many...

As many as Immigration workers project that they are able to process, provided that number comes in under a specified quota.

The Democratic Party wants to eliminate the middle class, but worships rich people.

ROTFLMAO! Who is it you worship, a Billionaire, you cannot be that dense to not see the hilarity if your claim. Oh, no one is trying to destroy the middle class, slow down on the koolaid.

As many as can contribute to America which means in part as many as we can us.

No More, and we should make an effort to snag the better ones who want to come.

Sorry, the best are already coming to Canada. Less racism, more freedom, less hatred, better public education, less incarceration, better healthcare.

You can have our sloppy seconds. Enjoy. ;)

Woah, joko, you've gone full projection. Never go full projection.

11 Facts About Global Poverty | DoSomething.org

Border surge highest since 2011, each illegal immigrant costs $70,000, 7x deportation price

It's rather simple, the rich countries should help the poor countries catch up. Not by installing some puppet government, contributing foreign aid to said government, and having said government allow multi-nationals to rape the land and people. But by really helping those countries catch up.

It's best for mankind, for everyone, long term. Sadly many people can't see past the tip of their nose, or consider anyone but themselves.

Do people not realise that the poor never leave home...they can't afford to for goodness sake. Only the rich can afford to pay people smugglers. Poor people have enough trouble getting food for their families, let alone paying the expenses required to leave home.

Do people not realise that the poor never leave home...they can't afford to for goodness sake. Only the rich can afford to pay people smugglers. Poor people have enough trouble getting food for their families, let alone paying the expenses required to leave home.

Tell that to the families sleeping on cardboard on the Colombian side of the border from Venezuela. They walk and beg for food without a penny to their name. Some sell loosies and snacks for about $10 per day. I know because I asked them. Staying in Venezuela means no power, no water and very little food. Those that do stay risk getting killed over a beat up cell phone or some tennis shoes.

It took you more than 5 minutes to proofread 10 poll options? OK...

Whatever number is helpful for the US, of course

Lazarus contributed her poem for fundraising to erect the Statue of Liberty. She was arguing for a Jewish homeland 13 years before Theodore Herzl was arguing for Zionism - so she was a pre-Zionist, I suppose the term would be. She was part of a family of apparently non-practicing Jews, Sephardic, from Portugal (originally) through Brazil. See Emma Lazarus - Wikipedia. As she continued writing, she became more interested in Judaism. She died fairly young, @ age 38.

poem is her urging for the state of Israel - Elements of the poem are deemed to refer specifically to the setting &/or the statue itself. See The New Colossus - Wikipedia

"The title of the poem and the first two lines refer to the Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, sometimes described as standing astride the harbor; contrasted with the "New" Colossus (the Statue of Liberty, described in the poem).

"The "sea-washed, sunset gates" are the mouths of the Hudson and East Rivers, to the west of Brooklyn. The "imprisoned lightning" refers to the electric light in the torch, then a novelty.

"The "air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame" refers to New York Harbor between New York City and Brooklyn, which were separate cities at the time the poem was written, before being consolidated as boroughs of the City of Greater New York in 1898.

"The "huddled masses" are the many immigrants coming to the United States (many of them - in the early 1900s - through Ellis Island at the port of New York).
The "golden door" has a double meaning - of the literal entryway immigrants to America passed through (the Communipaw Terminal on Ellis Island), as well as metaphorical doors of opportunity and prosperity for those suffering oppression and poverty (the 'huddled masses')."

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

Why do you think she was arguing for no racial diversity in the poem? I don't see that anywhere in a quick look around the 'net.

Back
Top Bottom