• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Many Languages Do You Speak?

A Poll On Languages

• I speak English and one other language, from birth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I speak English and two other languages from birth, one language from studies

• I speak English and one other language from birth, and two other languages from studies

• Total voters

Le Marteau

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Hey all,

In an ever-globalising world, it is a fact that the ability to speak multiple languages is a benefit to yourself, your people, and your nation. It is a badge of pride to be able to claim the title of polyglot, and will inevitably aide you in a great variety of your life's pursuits.

And so I ask the people of DebatePolitics:

How many languages do you speak?

Which languages do you speak?

Are they learnt languages, or have you spoken them from birth?

Which languages would you like to speak?

Why do you want to learn said languages?

The poll was a bit tricky to make, and so I ask, on top of answering the poll, to also answer the questions I've listed above.

Cheers!

Hey all,

In an ever-globalising world, it is a fact that the ability to speak multiple languages is a benefit to yourself, your people, and your nation. It is a badge of pride to be able to claim the title of polyglot, and will inevitably aide you in a great variety of your life's pursuits.

The poll was a bit tricky to make, and so I ask, on top of answering the poll, to also answer the questions I've listed above.

Cheers!

I speak only English, really, but can curse like a sailor in Spanish.

English Natively, Spanish since childhood and some studies in college and Russian from living overseas and studying in college.
I also command some simple japanese and can get around japan if need be.

English alone.

I would like to learn Latin, Ancient Greek, and Russian. For their history, and because highly inflected languages interest me.

I'm surprised but also happy by how many people have cited Russian as a learnt language, or a language they'd like to learn. I've spoken Russian since birth (as well as French and English), but it's absolutely a useful language to learn. I've picked up passable German and Spanish from studies, but, alas, I doubt they'll ever be as good as my native languages. Still, they say that if you speak Spanish, Russian, English and French, you can go nearly anywhere on Earth and be understood, even if only rudimentarily. True world languages, those four.

I was raised on English and Turkish -- I haven't spoken Turkish much since my father died back in 1985 but I still understand most of it when I hear it. The harder part is speaking it. I never learned to read it, I only know it from listening and talking as a child. I learned Japanese in the military and in the best circumstances it's "broken" Japanese. I could bone up on it but the wife is Yugoslavian and doesn't speak anything but English - my mother is German and never learned Turkish and no one speaks Japanese. I don't think I'd like to learn any other languages... most everywhere I've been someone speaks a bit of English. I guess I'd learn another language if my job demanded it or there was some other dire need but other than that - nah.

I do a helluva English accent though :wink:

I only speak English.

But, I'm still working on that - still run into new words every so often, or find that I was mispronouncing a word for one reason or another.

Then again, English is such a mashup of words, many from other languages (or a version therof), that I probably know a few words from at least 5-10 other languages, in a way...heh.

I'm a native english speaker, and can also speak a bit of spanish and german. I'm nowhere near fluent, but I can speak enough to get by (barely).

Only English fluently. I had three years of Spanish in high school and another two years in college...but I wouldn't say that I'm fluent. I've never been south of the border (except to pre-war Mexican border towns), so I've never really had the opportunity to practice very much. And it's been several years since I've actively studied Spanish, so I've probably forgotten a lot of it. Hopefully it will come back to me, and I can pick it up pretty quickly when I go to a Spanish-speaking country.

I'm surprised but also happy by how many people have cited Russian as a learnt language, or a language they'd like to learn. I've spoken Russian since birth (as well as French and English), but it's absolutely a useful language to learn. I've picked up passable German and Spanish from studies, but, alas, I doubt they'll ever be as good as my native languages. Still, they say that if you speak Spanish, Russian, English and French, you can go nearly anywhere on Earth and be understood, even if only rudimentarily. True world languages, those four.

I would add Arabic and Chinese to that list. Those are the six official languages of the UN, and a majority of the world's people speak at least one of them. Hindi is probably a good one to learn too, although not everyone in India speaks it and a good many Indians speak English anyway.

I think I picked the wrong choice. Didn't really understand the difference between the last two.

Anyway, I speak English, Spanish, Italian and Galician from birth. I'm fluent in French, as most of my academic life was spent in French schools. I also speak German and Swiss German quite well.

I'd love to learn Arabic, Chinese and Russian. Hebrew would be cool too.

I only speak English well.

I studied French for four years but don't remember a damn thing.

I spoke passable German for awhile from living there for 3 years and studying. It has been 20 years ago though and I have lost it. Funny enough I speak dialect since I learned it in the bars. Germans from other parts of Germany think I am French because my region of Germany borders Alsace-Lorraine.

I speak a little Spanish from living in Puerto Rico for a couple of years.

Finally I studied 4 semesters of Arabic, a beautiful language. Minfadlak.

I speak English, but I have studied both Latin and Spanish. I have picked up on some Chinese, Japanese, and Indian from friends though.

I can speak some in French, but I'm only fluent in English. I'd love to learn a couple of languages, but I haven't gotten that far. :(

Hey all,

Cheers!

Does fluency in the language of love count?

If I really want to. I try to minimize that sound.

Back
Top Bottom