• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many jobs do you have?

How many jobs to do you have?

• Total voters
With the recent job report being released, it got me to wondering. Are these additional jobs where people are brand new, re-entering the workforce post Covid or taking on a 2nd or 3rd job? So just doing a simple poll within DP as I'm curious. I currently hold one full-time job and one part-time job. I've done this for a while due to the lifestyle I wish to lead. Inflation is definitely taking a bite and causing me to reevaluate some expenses or considering working more hours.
Full time as a director in a logistics company and my second full time job is the dad to a beagle puppy. Not sure which one is the most tiring.

That’s always been my plan, but (at age 68) I’m not sure how many more years I can follow it. ;)
Welcome to my world. I'm the same age, and nearly two years of relative inactivity due to COVID has impacted my health in every conceivable way - none of it good. Not working - not remaining active - is very unhealthy. I don't even know if I could do the jobs I was doing just two years ago, if I had the opportunity today.

Welcome to my world. I'm the same age, and nearly two years of relative inactivity due to COVID has impacted my health in every conceivable way - none of it good. Not working - not remaining active - is very unhealthy. I don't even know if I could do the jobs I was doing just two years ago, if I had the opportunity today.

Ease back into it - before it’s too late. My workload decreased considerably during that time as well.

I am retired (getting Social Security/Medicare) and continue to do part-time work as a self-employed handyman.

Up until about four or five years ago I was a Director of Photography, film editor and occasionally a producer.
A decade or two earlier I was also running my own post production facility AND doing videotape duplication, too.

Due to multiple factors like declining eyesight and hearing, plus the progression of my wife's MS, I've pretty much been semi-retired since about 2017 or so and my "not really FULL time" job is
now just being a caregiver to Karen. It's close enough to full time that it bars me from taking off down the road for a couple of weeks or a month to do any big productions
and with the added responsibility of our son's health going up and down like a pogo stick, it's even difficult to commit to shorter shoots where one absolutely MUST be there for call time.

I'm sixty-five so it's not as if I was ever going to be surprised but I used to harbor hopes of continuing well into my seventies if health permitted.
But there isn't much market for senior citizen cameramen with bad eyes and lousy hearing I'm afraid. 😆

This I understand completely.

With the recent job report being released, it got me to wondering. Are these additional jobs where people are brand new, re-entering the workforce post Covid or taking on a 2nd or 3rd job? So just doing a simple poll within DP as I'm curious. I currently hold one full-time job and one part-time job. I've done this for a while due to the lifestyle I wish to lead. Inflation is definitely taking a bite and causing me to reevaluate some expenses or considering working more hours.

How does one work a 3rd job if the have a real job in the first place?

Most my life I worked 60 plus hours a week at one job.

If you work 9-5 you can work a second but a 9-5 is so cushy you should be working a second.

Only people working 3 jobs are school teachers because they are all soft jobs. Just a few hours each. They still are home for dinner.

Up until about four or five years ago I was a Director of Photography, film editor and occasionally a producer.
A decade or two earlier I was also running my own post production facility AND doing videotape duplication, too.

Due to multiple factors like declining eyesight and hearing, plus the progression of my wife's MS, I've pretty much been semi-retired since about 2017 or so and my "not really FULL time" job is
now just being a caregiver to Karen. It's close enough to full time that it bars me from taking off down the road for a couple of weeks or a month to do any big productions
and with the added responsibility of our son's health going up and down like a pogo stick, it's even difficult to commit to shorter shoots where one absolutely MUST be there for call time.

I'm sixty-five so it's not as if I was ever going to be surprised but I used to harbor hopes of continuing well into my seventies if health permitted.
But there isn't much market for senior citizen cameramen with bad eyes and lousy hearing I'm afraid. 😆

I understand. I had no intentions of ever retiring. Health changed all that.

I have a full-time job and a very minor side hustle that takes up maybe 20-30 hours per year and helps fund my hobbies.

I understand. I had no intentions of ever retiring. Health changed all that.
Karen and I got to meet one of my (many) idols and for a change it was actually everything I expected and more.
Haskell Wexler was a two-time Academy Award-winning cinematographer known for "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and the 1984 cop drama "Colors" and also the documentary "Medium Cool".
And he was still going strong into his 80's when we met him.
And while I stood there knock-kneed and stuttering my praises, cool classy guy that he was, he charmed my wife into giggles and mutual admiration.
He was fascinated to meet a former female Navy diesel mechanic who served aboard a tugboat full of men and held her own.

Karen Meets Haskell Wex (2019_02_27 17_41_55 UTC).jpg

I wanted what he had, the health and vitality to continue going full speed ahead in his senior years.

I have a full time job. A personal business and am raising 3 children under four. Life is busy.

If you work 9-5 you can work a second but a 9-5 is so cushy you should be working a second.

Only people working 3 jobs are school teachers because they are all soft jobs. Just a few hours each. They still are home for dinner.
Not many have 3 jobs but they're out there. Some people work day jobs then continue on to another job for night shifts and then add a side hustle to boot. My main job is shift work so it frees up time for a part-time job without wearing me down too much. But most of the folks I work around have two jobs and some 3.

I have a full time job. A personal business and am raising 3 children under four. Life is busy.
I remember two children under 4 at the same time. That was non-stop. Don't forget to take some me time wherever you can find it.

Still doing some home improvement here and there but only when it's something worth paying taxes on. I've actually been making a killing on junked out commercial marine properties lately removing old steel. I'll get involved with other stuff involving a trusted electrician and plumber. They take on few job under my license so they can pull permits and in turn they take care of me pretty well. They will have their own Class "A" licenses pretty soon. I still take on the odd drywall job here and there if I can round up a sub crew.

Still working for a friend 3 days a week on average who owns a Marine construction company. I'll continue to drive his dump for him until a young lady passes her CDL test. I also do quite a bit of repair work on his barges, excavators, skid steers, welding etc. etc. etc. I come and go any time I please and he's grateful to have me. I make him pay for quite a few of my greens fees. (y)

Dog walker....... I have a older (and beloved) client that I did water damage repair work for during the housing recession years ago. She trusted me to come and do all the drywall, plumbing, flooring, trim, and painting without a license. She was the single person who kick started my business and we became really close while I was doing the work for her. Fast forward 12 years and she's getting to old to walk her dog and her kids all live a long ways away. I stop off at 6:00 am every morning and bring her a French Vanilla coffee and walk her dog. My wife stops in the afternoon and does the second walk and takes notes for doing a little shopping for her. Her kids do take turns on weekends stopping by to make sure she's OK.

Retired.
30 years in wildland fire management for a federal agency.
Been retired for 18 years. I miss being out on fires sometimes. I don't miss the office politics one has to put up with when managing fire operations.

One full time job that I've had for many years and involves me working with international clients.
There’s an Only Fans Overseas joke hiding there somewhere………😎

One full time job, consultant and contractor.

Retired, do some work around the homestead, cut & split firewood for the house & shop. Honey do list stuff, buy junk at tag sales, estate sales. tag sales etc.& sell junque to dealers, some smalls on ebay.

Just wow....about all I can say.

I also have a list that always has something on it! :) Having a job(s) you truly enjoy is the goal I always stress to my kids.
1659744815733.png

“Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”

― Mark Twain

I have been always self-employed, sometimes 3 businesses at the same time, to get my #1 going and pay off the gigantic investment in#1.
Since 2006 I have this gigantic luxury, of being debt free, business and personal. Now being past retirement age and having a good going debt free business and my debt free farm, I can afford to be half retarded and work part time 6 days a week.
I very much like that, 80h just suck, big time, I like my 24h week and then play around on my farm, have a bier, scratch my animals bellies, watch real Football, car races, go tend my garden, just do what I want.
After 50 years of work, I finally enjoy the luxury of freedom, that is something special, very special.
If the weather is right, I will take down 4 beetle kills, 100 foot Ponderosas, for my Senior exercise. Power-walking is not my thing,

Lots of retirees with cool side hustles!

One job - grad student- used to pull 60-70 hours per week, now I'm cooling my heels at maybe 20 since I'm close to being done

Retired, but before retirement I bought a couple of foreclosed homes in 2010 during the housing bust in Az where I had planned to retire, fixed them up and rented them until the market improved. When I retired and moved to Az I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but found I really enjoyed fixing up houses, so I started buying and flipping homes 1 or 2 per year but I didn't make as much as expected because my conscience wouldn't let me do a cosmetic lipstick on a pig renovation,
so now I bought an old house and am fixing it up at my own pace. If I want to work when I get up I do, if I'm feeling lazy I just goof off, best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom