• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How many firearms do you own?

Since there have been a couple of polls about bearing arms I'm curious as to how many guns my fellow DPers own. I have over 20 myself.

Lots-couldn't tell you without pulling up the list on the computer. Between the ones I bought, inherited, and won, over 100

Lots-couldn't tell you without pulling up the list on the computer. Between the ones I bought, inherited, and won, over 100

.........why?

Why not? :rofl

Sure. Why not? Doesn't matter... I just wondered why one person needs or wants 100 or so guns.
People have reasons for the things that they do... and "why not" is not a reason.
"Why not" is doing something in the face of reason without reasoning...

Sure. Why not? Doesn't matter... I just wondered why one person needs or wants 100 or so guns.
People have reasons for the things that they do... and "why not" is not a reason.

I propose that if a person wants to collect guns, it is fine as long as he isn't also collecting welfare, food stamps, etc.
Had a neighbor like that once....lazy prick wouldn't take a job any longer than he had to, but he had guns, guns, and more guns.
His wife finally got tired of supporting him and sent him packing, and he had to sell off a lot of his collection. (Community property state)
I have one of his .22 target pistols now....got it for a very good price.
Now that he is supporting himself, his collection keeps getting smaller and smaller. What makes it worse, part of what he earns now is getting sniffed up his nose.....

Last edited:
I am sure that you do...

The question still stands, why does one person need or want 100 or so guns?

No single person actually needs to own 100 guns.

They can want to own 100 guns for a variety of reasons.

I own a few thousand comic books.

If someone asked me "why" I own 2000 comic books I can say I collect them, but I cannot give a definitive answer as to "why" I derive joy from being able to say I own a #1 Amazing Spiderman from 1963.

But I can say that there is definitely something about owning that particular book that brings me great pleasure.

I expect that gun ownership can be like that.

Someone who owns 100 guns is probably of the same mindset, but they collect Guns not comic books.

I could not explain "why" I own comic books because resale value is of no interest to me (I've never once sold a book) nor is it for practical reasons (I never read them anymore).

The real pleasure comes from the finding and purchasing the rare books. Getting great deals, etc.

It's probably the same for gun collectors.

How many surfboards do you own? How many is to much?

i don't own any guns. Not a big fan of them at all

Criminals appreciate that. :2wave:

Have you ever been attacked/robbed/assaulted by a criminal???
And if it is the case, do you think a gun would have made a difference?

When we moved from Idaho to Phoenix, AZ, some friends commented on the crime rate there. After living there for awhile, it was obvious that there were certain places, and even certain times, that most of the crimes occurred.
Anyone going to parts of South Phoenix after dark was just asking for it.
Hanging around bars too much in any part of town would increase the risk for being a victim of a crime.
After living there for 22 years, and not being a victim of a crime in that time, I can say that carrying a gun is not necessary, or even having one in my home.
The closest we came to being a victim was when some drunk young men took a swing at our car with a golf club, while they were driving up and down the street looking for trouble. They broke a window, my son (who was driving back from somewhere with a friend) got their plate number, and found a cop. That is pretty much the whole story...

One city down, thousands to go.

When we moved from Idaho to Phoenix, AZ, some friends commented on the crime rate there. After living there for awhile, it was obvious that there were certain places, and even certain times, that most of the crimes occurred.
Anyone going to parts of South Phoenix after dark was just asking for it.
Hanging around bars too much in any part of town would increase the risk for being a victim of a crime.
After living there for 22 years, and not being a victim of a crime in that time, I can say that carrying a gun is not necessary, or even having one in my home.
The closest we came to being a victim was when some drunk young men took a swing at our car with a golf club, while they were driving up and down the street looking for trouble. They broke a window, my son (who was driving back from somewhere with a friend) got their plate number, and found a cop. That is pretty much the whole story...

+ if your son had a gun, maybe he would have shot at the drunk guy (because I guess he was feeling threatened) instead of finding a cop.

Yes.

Without a doubt.

I've actually been the victim of a few crimes, but really only one could I have defended myself. The others were thefts/damage that happened while I was not present.

Sorry about that.

Without a doubt.

I've actually been the victim of a few crimes, but really only one could I have defended myself. The others were thefts/damage that happened while I was not present.

So, OK, it would have helped you in one case. But in how many cases the presence of firearms made things worse?

- Psychological experiences have shown that the presence of weapons made people more aggressive.
- Some people have meltdowns. When they are not armed it's not a big deal, but when they've got a rifle it's a serious problem. I've read somewhere that guns at home dramatically increased the homicide rate.
- If you're attacked, you're likely to be "only" kicked/smashed...the best thing not to be too badly hurt is to run away (except if you know how to fight). While if you've got a gun, you can stop the guy, but if the agressor has got a gun too and is more skilled, then you're dead.

So, OK, it would have helped you in one case. But in how many cases the presence of firearms made things worse?

- Psychological experiences have shown that the presence of weapons made people more aggressive.
- Some people have meltdowns. When they are not armed it's not a big deal, but when they've got a rifle it's a serious problem. I've read somewhere that guns at home dramatically increased the homicide rate.
- If you're attacked, you're likely to be "only" kicked/smashed...the best thing not to be too badly hurt is to run away (except if you know how to fight). While if you've got a gun, you can stop the guy, but if the agressor has got a gun too and is more skilled, then you're dead.

No one said freedom was safe. If I pull a gun on an attacker, I'm risking that he could disarm me and use it on me, or be armed himself and be better than I am. Such a risk is up to the attackee to evaluate on their own.

When I lived in the college town I used to, I walked down the street with a 4in knife in my hand to ward off any possible attacks (they weren't uncommon). That safer than a gun? Personally, I don't think so.

I've noticed that in this country there's an inverse relationship between the legitimacy of your gun ownership and the amount of guns you own.

I actually need a gun, I have one. Crazy McLibertarian Mountainman has an entire armory, despite his total safety.

Back
Top Bottom