• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many calories do you eat in a day?

I can't believe some of you girls here eating fewer than 1500 KCals a day. Do any of you get exercise? That is just sick...

i am at less than 1200. i am working out every day.

I can't believe some of you girls here eating fewer than 1500 KCals a day. Do any of you get exercise? That is just sick...

I am trying to get back into my exercise program - walking 1 to 2 miles a day + strength training 3 days a week.

If you want your body to hold onto fat, don't eat much. If you want to get strong, look good and wear smaller clothes, give your body the fuel it needs.

I'm not sure how many calories it burns but I'm running 3 miles a day every day, been upto that for about 3 weeks now, no rest day, my body has adjusted so I started a new add on to it this week, now I'm starting out with intense cardio 5 reps of 30 second sprints with 30-60 second rest in between, followed by a 2 mile run (moderate pace) then I run a three story flight of steps up and down 5 times every other step on the way up, next week I'm either going to try to increase the number of sprint reps or the stairs or maybe a combination of increase on all three or jogging and one of the two high intensity cardios, but I think I'll have to take Sunday off completely with maybe only a very light jog or walk because those sprints are getting me sore again and I haven't gotten sore in a while. That's on top of lifting and calisthenics plus I recently picked back up the skate board for the first time since I was 16, still fun. I'm still trying to only eat between 1,500 and 2,000 calories a day because I'm trying to cut, but I don't want my metabolism to slow down so if I get hungry enough I eat, I just make sure to not eat crap so I can eat a lot when I do and I don't flip when I have my occassional lapse and eat to much because I'll just burn it the next day plus apparently the intense cardio keeps your body burning calories even after you're done due to what is called EPOC or Excess Post exercise Oxygen Consumption.

Keep that up. Yeah, you need to jack up the distance... 3 miles really isn't that much... I run three miles as just a light warm up... Also, add some variety... work in a speed workout once or twice a week... and, if you have a road bike, get out on the bike... Speaking of which, I will be getting out on mine in about 15 minutes for a light 40-50km ride...

I'm netting between 1300-1600 a day...I think. I burn close to a thousand calories a day at the gym.

That should be good for about 2lbs a week. :thumbs:

Well I'm kind of in a quandary. Since starting my weight training obviously my ability to strip pounds has become a bit of a challenge. It's slowed down quite a bit, however my waist has been shrinking and my upper arms/chest/calves seem to be noticeably larger and more solid. I'm trading fat for muscle at this point...I think. However I'm still wrestling with my gut a bit. And it's about fat down there. So I may have to adjust...although I damn sure like the look my arms and chest are starting to take on.

I just wonder if I'm not netting enough given the level and type of exercise I'm doing. /shrug

Well I'm kind of in a quandary. Since starting my weight training obviously my ability to strip pounds has become a bit of a challenge. It's slowed down quite a bit, however my waist has been shrinking and my upper arms/chest/calves seem to be noticeably larger and more solid. I'm trading fat for muscle at this point...I think. However I'm still wrestling with my gut a bit. And it's about fat down there. So I may have to adjust...although I damn sure like the look my arms and chest are starting to take on.

Lerxst, the belly is the absolute last thing to go. And it may not ever go entirely. I think you're doing fabulous, and you're on a great roll. Keep it up, and eventually the belly will follow. But understand, it will probably never be completely flat again. You'll still look great. :)

Lerxst, the belly is the absolute last thing to go. And it may not ever go entirely. I think you're doing fabulous, and you're on a great roll. Keep it up, and eventually the belly will follow. But understand, it will probably never be completely flat again. You'll still look great. :)

Awww shucks.... :)

I just wonder if I'm not netting enough given the level and type of exercise I'm doing. /shrug

this is key, you may be eating too little, so your body is holding onto that gut for dear life as you work out. I would make sure that you are getting the right amount of calories for the muscle building and fat loss....

Also, I have a theory on gut loss....

Sprinting....

Who's ever seen a fat sprinter? MIRITE?!?!?! :mrgreen:

this is key, you may be eating too little, so your body is holding onto that gut for dear life as you work out. I would make sure that you are getting the right amount of calories for the muscle building and fat loss....

Also, i have a theory on gut loss....

Sprinting....

Who's ever seen a fat sprinter? Mirite?!?!?! :mrgreen:

brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I have a theory on gut loss....

Sprinting....

Who's ever seen a fat sprinter? MIRITE?!?!?! :mrgreen:

I started adding sprinting into my runs, I do it at the begining now to get my heart rate up, 5 30 second sprints at top speed with about 15-45 seconds rest in between reps followed by a 2 mile jog and then stair runs, and so far I'm sore as hell so I cut the sprints and stair run today but upped my jog from the 3 miles that I was up to before adding the sprints to 4 miles.

I've had to up my caloric intake though.

Last edited:
Keep that up. Yeah, you need to jack up the distance... 3 miles really isn't that much... I run three miles as just a light warm up...

How often?

Also, add some variety... work in a speed workout once or twice a week... and, if you have a road bike, get out on the bike... Speaking of which, I will be getting out on mine in about 15 minutes for a light 40-50km ride...

A "light 40-50 km" ride?

How often?

Depending on what I am training for at a particular time, I will get out and run five or six time each week -- once being a speed workout for which I run a 5km (3.1 miles) warm-up before I start. I have also been doing a lot of transition training where I will ride 40km and then transition right into a 5km run...

A "light 40-50 km" ride?

Yes, light. The bike leg of the triathlon is 90km... 40-50 km is pretty light... I often go out for 100+ km rides...

During high intensity training stages and competition, my target is 5,000 kcals. When I'm on vacation or terribly busy, i can't see myself exceeding that number even with alcohol.

jesus christ. If I ate 5k calories a day for any length of time, I'd weigh 600 lbs. Even working out. I'd be +3000 calories a day and it takes only 3500 for a pound. I'd gain 6 lbs a week!

Goldenboy, what kind of foods do you eat to get your calories up that high? I've been trying to increase my intake and find myself turning to junky kind of foods for the calories (ie: fried seafood, extra pizza, bread, homemade mac and cheese ....etc). Frankly, I feel like a bloated mess after eating that stuff.

Goldenboy, what kind of foods do you eat to get your calories up that high? I've been trying to increase my intake and find myself turning to junky kind of foods for the calories (ie: fried seafood, extra pizza, bread, homemade mac and cheese ....etc). Frankly, I feel like a bloated mess after eating that stuff.

Calorie dense foods:

Nuts, peanut butter, etc...

Oat muffins.... etc...

Healthy High Calorie Foods To Gain Weight

Drink protein shakes. Pure protein and calories. No carbs, no fat. Well, except for whatever you use to mix them with.

Drink protein shakes. Pure protein and calories. No carbs, no fat. Well, except for whatever you use to mix them with.

I don't know why I've always avoided the shakes :shrug:.

Thanks for the suggestions, peeps!

I don't know why I've always avoided the shakes :shrug:.

Thanks for the suggestions, peeps!

It's the only way I can get the protein I need without eating a ****load of food and calories. And, they're good. I get Optimum Nutrition 100% Soy Protein, Vanilla flavor. Then I add berries to it (usually blueberries), some coconut oil and I use almond milk. Gives me about 26g of protein and the powder itself is 120 calories. Add the almond milk (80 calories) and the coconut oil (50 calories) and it's an extra 250 calories. I don't drink them for the calories, mind you, but if you wanted calories without feeling heavy and full, or whatever, it might be a good alternative.

It's the only way I can get the protein I need without eating a ****load of food and calories. And, they're good. I get Optimum Nutrition 100% Soy Protein, Vanilla flavor. Then I add berries to it (usually blueberries), some coconut oil and I use almond milk. Gives me about 26g of protein and the powder itself is 120 calories. Add the almond milk (80 calories) and the coconut oil (50 calories) and it's an extra 250 calories. I don't drink them for the calories, mind you, but if you wanted calories without feeling heavy and full, or whatever, it might be a good alternative.

nom nom nom! :chew: That sounds delicious!

nom nom nom! :chew: That sounds delicious!

they're very good! Just one tip: Don't get the unflavored powder. It HAS a flavor, and it's bad, bad, bad. It's a different consistency too, for some reason.

I just have this BIG plastic cup and a little hand mixer that fits down inside it, and I toss in all my stuff and mix it right in the cup. They're pretty good, if I do say so myself. ;) Sometimes I use them as meal replacements if I don't feel like eating a meal or something. But generally I have one in the morning, and one an hour before I workout in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom