• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How long until the next high profile mass shooting (don't count the daily ones)?

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I'm hoping this thread goes at least 2 months before we hear about the next one. Way too many lately.

I guess we're making up for the lost time, last year.

I'm hoping this thread goes at least 2 months before we hear about the next one. Way too many lately.

Do you want your answer in days, or "number of easily-preventable drunk driving deaths that will be totally ignored by Democrats while they pretend that they just want to save lives?"

I guess if you define mass shootings within the confines of whatever CNN runs a story on then it can be any number of days before the next one, however if we look at any shooting where one person kills three or more then it is likely to be happening in various cities across the US each week (if not each day) and you simply do not know about it.

But do not let me disturb this next nonspecific absent suggestion "gun control" thread playing on emotions.

I guess if you define mass shootings within the confines of whatever CNN runs a story on then it can be any number of days before the next one, however if we look at any shooting where one person kills three or more then it is likely to be happening in various cities across the US each week (if not each day) and you simply do not know about it.

But do not let me disturb this next nonspecific absent suggestion "gun control" thread playing on emotions.
not counting the most recent one (at the Magnet School), this would be the list of high profile mass shootings in 2021...

DateLocationDeadInjuredTotalDescription
April 8, 2021Bryan, Texas1562021 Bryan, Texas shooting: 1 person was killed with 4 others in critical condition and 1 in stable condition after a mass shooting at a cabinet manufacturing store in Bryan Texas.
April 7, 2021Rock Hill, South Carolina6172021 Rock Hill shooting: 5 people, including 2 children, were killed in a shooting perpetrated by former NFL player Phillip Adams, who then killed himself.
March 31, 2021Orange, California4262021 Orange, California office shooting: 4 people, including a child, were killed at an Orange office complex.
March 22, 2021Boulder, Colorado101112021 Boulder shooting: A mass shooting occurred at a King Soopers supermarket in Boulder, Colorado, which left 10 people dead, including an on-duty police officer.
March 16, 2021Atlanta, Georgia8192021 Atlanta spa shootings: A series of mass shootings occurred at massage parlors in the Atlanta, Georgia metropolitan area. Eight people were killed in the incidents and one person was wounded.
February 9, 2021Buffalo, Minnesota1452021 Buffalo clinic attack: A nurse was killed and four other people were shot and seriously wounded inside of a health care clinic. The suspect, 67-year-old Gregory Paul Ulrich, was taken into police custody.
February 2, 2021Muskogee, Oklahoma6172021 Muskogee shooting: Five children and one adult were shot and killed, and one other adult suffered life-threatening injuries, after a home shooting in Oklahoma. Suspect, 25-year-old Jarron Pridgeon, is currently under custody.
February 2, 2021Sunrise, Florida3362021 Sunrise, Florida shootout: Two FBI agents were shot and killed and three others wounded attempting to serve a warrant. The suspect barricaded himself in his home and opened fire before shooting and killing himself.

That was my first though too, define "high profile". My guess is the media's parameters are someone who's was previously a law abiding citizen who went off the rails. The non law abiding citizens killing one another doesn't sell. Occasionally a story will pop up but typically these instances aren't considered a gun problem.

not counting the most recent one (at the Magnet School), this would be the list of high profile mass shootings in 2021...

April 8, 2021Bryan, Texas1562021 Bryan, Texas shooting: 1 person was killed with 4 others in critical condition and 1 in stable condition after a mass shooting at a cabinet manufacturing store in Bryan Texas.
April 7, 2021Rock Hill, South Carolina6172021 Rock Hill shooting: 5 people, including 2 children, were killed in a shooting perpetrated by former NFL player Phillip Adams, who then killed himself.
March 31, 2021Orange, California4262021 Orange, California office shooting: 4 people, including a child, were killed at an Orange office complex.
March 22, 2021Boulder, Colorado101112021 Boulder shooting: A mass shooting occurred at a King Soopers supermarket in Boulder, Colorado, which left 10 people dead, including an on-duty police officer.
March 16, 2021Atlanta, Georgia8192021 Atlanta spa shootings: A series of mass shootings occurred at massage parlors in the Atlanta, Georgia metropolitan area. Eight people were killed in the incidents and one person was wounded.
February 9, 2021Buffalo, Minnesota1452021 Buffalo clinic attack: A nurse was killed and four other people were shot and seriously wounded inside of a health care clinic. The suspect, 67-year-old Gregory Paul Ulrich, was taken into police custody.
February 2, 2021Muskogee, Oklahoma6172021 Muskogee shooting: Five children and one adult were shot and killed, and one other adult suffered life-threatening injuries, after a home shooting in Oklahoma. Suspect, 25-year-old Jarron Pridgeon, is currently under custody.
February 2, 2021Sunrise, Florida3362021 Sunrise, Florida shootout: Two FBI agents were shot and killed and three others wounded attempting to serve a warrant. The suspect barricaded himself in his home and opened fire before shooting and killing himself.

Wow, that's a lot. Clear evidence that Dems should hurry up and pass some laws that almost certainly wouldn't have prevented any of those 39 deaths, while they do absolutely nothing that actually could have prevented many of the roughly 39 HUNDRED deaths caused by drunk and careless drivers during the same time frame.

I believe you making my point for me, if the only interest is "high profile mass shootings" then you are in advance admitting your interest in gun control (the area we are in) has limited scope and intention.

Is that the case?

It won't make any difference - maybe push those affected (and still living) towards the gun control lobby but that's it.

I believe you making my point for me, if the only interest is "high profile mass shootings" then you are in advance admitting your interest in gun control (the area we are in) has limited scope and intention.

Is that the case?
Gun control won't work. Not in this country. There is no solution.

The only thing we do now is count the days to the next one. Or the next firearm homicide. Or the next husband who guns down his wife.

The only thing we do now is count the days to the next one. Or the next firearm homicide. Or the next husband who guns down his wife.
Then what's the point of this thread as it relates to gun control? You work for a newspaper? :unsure:

So we are in the gun control section of the forums and you already have the white flag in the air, no suggestions and no arguments behind them. We start by talking about "high profile mass shootings" and are moving the goal posts to talk about any "firearm homicide" or "the next husband who guns down his wife."

We are not talking about any other context or stats or really any inputs of value when it comes to gun violence outside of an initial list you found on "high profile mass shootings" which purposefully and clearly excludes other homicides.

We are not talking about location, or economics, or sociology. Our gun culture or the 2nd Amendment all excluded from the conversation. We are not talking about other nations and the violence they face a different way or to different levels.

All we have is an emotional plea to count down the days till the next one, and nothing else.

Forgive the expression and irony of use... but this thread sure backfired on you.

So we are in the gun control section of the forums and you already have the white flag in the air, no suggestions and no arguments behind them. We start by talking about "high profile mass shootings" and are moving the goal posts to talk about any "firearm homicide" or "the next husband who guns down his wife."

We are not talking about any other context or stats or really any inputs of value when it comes to gun violence outside of an initial list you found on "high profile mass shootings" which purposefully and clearly excludes other homicides.

We are not talking about location, or economics, or sociology. Our gun culture or the 2nd Amendment all excluded from the conversation. We are not talking about other nations and the violence they face a different way or to different levels.

All we have is an emotional plea to count down the days till the next one, and nothing else.

Forgive the expression and irony of use... but this thread sure backfired on you.
I have been saying there is no solution to our gun violence problem since the 1980s.

I have been saying there is no solution to our gun violence problem since the 1980s.

And now all you are admitting is you have had the white flag up for longer.

What percentage of murders are committed by:
-violent criminals out on parole or bail,
-abusive husbands who have restraining orders against them, but didn't have their firearms collected by police,
-obvious loonies who everyone around them knew were potentially dangerous, but didn't report it, or they did and authorities did not have them committed, or
-drug dealers silencing witnesses?

Seems like fertile ground to solve at least some of our gun violence problem, without any new laws.

I think in defining, it will be anything remotely resembling a mass shooting to push Biden and Harris' gun scheme.

And now all you are admitting is you have had the white flag up for longer.
it's not a white flag. it's reality.

btw, what's the solution (that no one else has thought of)?

What percentage of murders are committed by:
-violent criminals out on parole or bail,
-abusive husbands who have restraining orders against them, but didn't have their firearms collected by police,
-obvious loonies who everyone around them knew were potentially dangerous, but didn't report it, or they did and authorities did not have them committed, or
-drug dealers silencing witnesses?

Seems like fertile ground to solve at least some of our gun violence problem, without any new laws.
i never said that our gun violence numbers can't ebb and flow. i said there is no solution.

i never said that our gun violence numbers can't ebb and flow. i said there is no solution.

I wasn't suggesting that they could "ebb and flow" based on tackling the problems I listed. I was suggesting that they could be significantly reduced, for good.

And you don't think the MSM isn't scouring local newspapers to find anything they can?

So what, if it's a mass shooting, it's a mass shooting, not a water pistol fight or your undetermined perception of something that "resembles" a mass shooting.

I wasn't suggesting that they could "ebb and flow" based on tackling the problems I listed. I was suggesting that they could be significantly reduced, for good.
Hey, if you can reduce our gun violence problem significantly I say jump on it.

Hey, if you can reduce our gun violence problem significantly I say jump on it.

Me? No. I'm just little old Tlrmln. Democrats are in charge now.

Back
Top Bottom