• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Long does it take Sen. Leader Mitch McConnell to change a light bulb?

Independent?! The GOP is practically a cult, now! 😂

What happened to independent Republican Justin Amash when he spoke out against Trump?
I agree with that.
I made a statement on a post in 2019.
Trump will go down , when he does every Republican close to him will become Collateral Damage .

So you've lost work because of Covid? I only lost a couple of weeks back in April during the adjustment, so I think I'm doing fine... but I know most people out there are seriously hurting - I don't begrudge running up the debt somewhat to help people in that kind of a situation. And I especially don't begrudge direct healthcare spending to help State and Local Governments bolster their infrastructure to handle the crisis. I also don't mind helping businesses - small and large alike - to keep from folding and compensating them for the losses they've incurred because of the extra burden we've asked them to share. Cover those three things, and I think that's a worthwhile investment for the country to make to get us over this hump.

Does that sound reasonable to you?

I don't need the money.

Liberals are lying on the issue and you seem happy to
Statements like this help to divide America even more.
So these incompetent cities, are you sure there is no republicans living in them?
Are you sure the only people that are in Dire Straights in America are all just one political party.
Which would that be Republicans or Democrats.
Check the Unemployment numbers count how many are Republican or Democrat , then get back to me.

Post like these are read by political nerds and have zero impact outside of this forum.

What we need is for someone in the Senate to step up and put together a short-term bill that 13 Republicans can join with the Democrats to pass to just get us past the election, just so the country can get some measure of economic relief.

Why would Pelosi do that? As it is she has the stronger political hand.

I don't need the money.

How are they lying on the issue?? I look at this way... the left has their priorities, the right has their priorities... so the way our system is supposed to work is that the House passes their bill and then the Senate passes their bill and both sides sit down in conference and hash out the differences until we have a compromise that both sides can live with - nobody gets their full loaf, but everyone gets a half. The House has their bill.... they've actually had one since May, but they trimmed it down in September. But it's on the table. Where's the Senate bill?

When the President blames Speaker Pelosi for holding things up, that's the lie.... it's lie because he hasn't even got a bill through the Senate yet. Truth be told - if we look at it from a dollar figure - the President's offers have been a lot closer to Pelosi's than they have been to McConnell's. Only thing is, until he actually gets something passed in the Senate, they're just more of his hot air.

Why would Pelosi do that? As it is she has the stronger political hand.

Pelosi isn't in the Senate... but if the Senate actually passes a bill, I think she would ignore it at her peril. That doesn't mean she has to buy into it 100% either... but it'll be enough to start conferencing on it.

Pelosi isn't in the Senate... but if the Senate actually passes a bill, I think she would ignore it at her peril. That doesn't mean she has to buy into it 100% either... but it'll be enough to start conferencing on it.

C'mon. I realize that. But it is Pelosi and Mnuchin that are the chief D/R negotiators.

Unlike Trump, Mnuchin, and McConnell, Pelosi is under no election stress. Why would she cave?

That said, I doubt there are 13 GOP Senators that would swallow their fake conservative "spending concerns" and climb aboard anything over $1 trillion.

C'mon. I realize that. But it is Pelosi and Mnuchin that are the chief D/R negotiators.

Unlike Trump, Mnuchin, and McConnell, Pelosi is under no election stress. Why would she cave?

That said, I doubt there are 13 GOP Senators that would swallow their fake conservative "spending concerns" and climb aboard anything over $1 trillion.

I didn't mean for that to be as patronizing as it came across, RV... apologies. The Pelosi-Mnuchin talks are getting the air play because they're the only game in town - but from my perspective, Mnuchin is man trying to play poker without any cards. He can come to whatever agreement he wants, but there's no guarantee the Senate or even his boss will sign off on it. It's just kabuki theatre.

If this impasse is going to get resolved, it's going to take a Senate bill to do it. Once we get that, then the House Democrats and Senate Republicans can hash out the differences in conference.

When your rent money is low , and utility bills may be put on hold , and you have to start looking for food banks to get food .

I remember when a lot of average Americans mocked those who experienced such issues. No specific implications, just saying.

Why are they "fake conservative spending concerns" instead of just honest spending concerns? No one wins votes by opposing borrowing, cutting taxes, and handing out money, so I tend to believe that those who want to either cut spending or raise taxes are genuine.

The House has already passed a bill, though - they've had bills waiting for action since May... they're just waiting on the Senate to pass something so that conference negotiations can begin.

It seems to me that it ought to be possible to get something passed by the Senate before the election and then just pass the parts the House and Senate can agree on in a 90-day Continuing Resolution. Just punt it until the lame duck session when a more comprehensive deal can get negotiated.

What we need is for someone in the Senate to step up and put together a short-term bill that 13 Republicans can join with the Democrats to pass to just get us past the election, just so the country can get some measure of economic relief.

That (bolded above) requires that Senate demorats allow its passage (via the legislative filibuster). The MSM story (spin?) is that McConnell (or Trump) is somehow stopping a “skinny” relief bill from passing in the Senate, while ignoring that it is Senate demorats who are preventIng that from happening.

Why are they "fake conservative spending concerns" instead of just honest spending concerns? No one wins votes by opposing borrowing, cutting taxes, and handing out money, so I tend to believe that those who want to either cut spending or raise taxes are genuine.

They only become "deficit hawks" when Democrats are in power, as is about to happen.

They certainly didn't care about the $1 trillion 2017 tax bonanza for the wealthy and corporations.

I didn't mean for that to be as patronizing as it came across, RV... apologies. The Pelosi-Mnuchin talks are getting the air play because they're the only game in town - but from my perspective, Mnuchin is man trying to play poker without any cards. He can come to whatever agreement he wants, but there's no guarantee the Senate or even his boss will sign off on it. It's just kabuki theatre.

If this impasse is going to get resolved, it's going to take a Senate bill to do it. Once we get that, then the House Democrats and Senate Republicans can hash out the differences in conference.

Yes indeed. But if the Dems flip the Senate, then Pelosi can placate the R's with an initial agreement with Mnuchin and then do the full Monty after January 20th.

I don't need the money.

Post like these are read by political nerds and have zero impact outside of this forum.
So you are making the statement that America today is not divided or that only nerds think America is divided?
Should I quote you or should I quote the great Republican Trump party on that issue.
As for the statement "I don't need the money"
I'm reminded of an old rock song " I GOT MINE" the lyrics is you get your own,
So I guess it's kinda like a "DOG EAT DOG" society.
I can not say I'm for that.
However for those who call for a" DOG EAT DOG SOCIETY"" .
I wouldn't get too comfortable.
For although I am not for that , I did not say others would not welcome the "DOG EAT DOG SOCIETY".
My time of protesting marching for change is over my generation had it's time , some good accomplishments , some bad decisions.
It wasn't Dog eat Dog then , It was like this is how things are done this is how the government rules it can not be changed .
However Americans proved that change can and does happen and did happen.

How are they lying on the issue?? I look at this way... the left has their priorities, the right has their priorities... so the way our system is supposed to work is that the House passes their bill and then the Senate passes their bill and both sides sit down in conference and hash out the differences until we have a compromise that both sides can live with - nobody gets their full loaf, but everyone gets a half. The House has their bill.... they've actually had one since May, but they trimmed it down in September. But it's on the table. Where's the Senate bill?

When the President blames Speaker Pelosi for holding things up, that's the lie.... it's lie because he hasn't even got a bill through the Senate yet. Truth be told - if we look at it from a dollar figure - the President's offers have been a lot closer to Pelosi's than they have been to McConnell's. Only thing is, until he actually gets something passed in the Senate, they're just more of his hot air.
Sen. Leader Mitch McConnell held up this bill blocked it at every turn in the Senate .
Question; Did McConnell do this following Trump's orders or did he act on his own for once?
If he followed Trump's orders he's going to have a lot of baggage going with that , Trump's already being criticized over his handling of the Coved crises.
Now that Americans need help and the Republican party "Trump's party is blocking the bill that will give them help???

That (bolded above) requires that Senate demorats allow its passage (via the legislative filibuster). The MSM story (spin?) is that McConnell (or Trump) is somehow stopping a “skinny” relief bill from passing in the Senate, while ignoring that it is Senate demorats who are preventIng that from happening.
I have 2 questions concerning these so called Senate Democrats who have so much power in the Senate.
Who is the Senate Leader in the Senate.
How many bills has the House passed which either sit's on McConnell's. desk or don't get passed in the Senate.
How many times has a bill been judged not by what's in the bill but the political party that sent the bill in this Senate by this Senate leader?????

The "skinny" relief bill was inadequate and only addressed Republican priorities, Ttwtt. It wasn't a serious proposal. If the Republicans were serious, they would have expanded the "skinny" bill to make it palatable enough to get the seven Democratic centrists I identified earlier to sign on.

Yes indeed. But if the Dems flip the Senate, then Pelosi can placate the R's with an initial agreement with Mnuchin and then do the full Monty after January 20th.

True... but where I'm at now is looking for a 90-day deal to get us through to where the next Congress can act on it.

I have 2 questions concerning these so called Senate Democrats who have so much power in the Senate.
Who is the Senate Leader in the Senate.
How many bills has the House passed which either sit's on McConnell's. desk or don't get passed in the Senate.
How many times has a bill been judged not by what's in the bill but the political party that sent the bill in this Senate by this Senate leader?????

MConnell and Trump are tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum. Who the hell knows what goes on between the two of them? All I know is the end result.

That and the fact negotiating with Mnuchin is probably going to go nowhere. Pelosi should just come out and say that the President can have a seat at the table when he can exercise his self-vaunted "leadership" and negotiating skills to actually get an Administration bill through the Senate.

MConnell and Trump are tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum. Who the hell knows what goes on between the two of them? All I know is the end result.

That and the fact negotiating with Mnuchin is probably going to go nowhere. Pelosi should just come out and say that the President can have a seat at the table when he can exercise his self-vaunted "leadership" and negotiating skills to actually get an Administration bill through the Senate.
Well, Trump's" leadership " and negotiating skills are coming up a bit short.
Hell, he can't even negotiate with McConnell .
Trump when ask about this Stimulus package said GO BIG OR STAY HOME .
Now he can't even negotiate to get the skinny version of this bill passed and he is still the President.

Well, Trump's" leadership " and negotiating skills are coming up a bit short.
Hell, he can't even negotiate with McConnell .
Trump when ask about this Stimulus package said GO BIG OR STAY HOME .
Now he can't even negotiate to get the skinny version of this bill passed and he is still the President.

I agree... Trump makes Jimmy Carter look like LBJ when it comes to dealing with Congress.

The "skinny" relief bill was inadequate and only addressed Republican priorities, Ttwtt. It wasn't a serious proposal. If the Republicans were serious, they would have expanded the "skinny" bill to make it palatable enough to get the seven Democratic centrists I identified earlier to sign on.

Hmm... wouldn’t that be over triple that mere $500B amount?

Depends on who is there. Obama= Never. Any republican= Yesterday.
This bill started in Congress in September, the Republican Senate turned it down immediatly .
Since then the Democrats has moved more to the center.
However, Republicans like McConnell remain on the far right side.
And the American people as with any other bill held up by the Senate waits and waits proving the Great American Republican party remains strong.
Of course as for as helping the American people ; WELL NO , but that doesn't matter the Republican Senate is still politically run by the great Sen. leader McConnell.
Sorry to break the news but not all Americans think Sen. leader McConnell is so great about a lot of stuff.
There is a thread called "KENTUCKY CAN DO BETTER" .
Personally I don't know what's it about but I suspect it's about McConnell's Sen. Seat.

Hmm... wouldn’t that be over triple that mere $500B amount?
Please?
We going to actually compare the money that went out to help the poor to the money that went out to help the rich and the tax cuts still going out to help the rich
Anytime pal anytime.

Back
Top Bottom