• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Long does it take Sen. Leader Mitch McConnell to change a light bulb?

Ask President "Go Big or Go Home".

Trump wants a legislative “win” that he can take full credit for signing into law and could care less what that does to the federal deficit or national debt. Does it really make any sense to pay laid off ‘non-essential’ workers more not to work than many ‘essential’ workers now make working?

Trump wants a legislative “win” that he can take full credit for signing into law and could care less what that does to the federal deficit or national debt. Does it really make any sense to pay laid off ‘non-essential’ workers more not to work than many ‘essential’ workers now make working?

I figure if someone finds themselves unemployed because of Covid, then they ought to receive the same amount in unemployment insurance that they'd be entitled to if they were laid off for any other reason... no more, no less... and they ought to receive it for as long as the crisis lasts. That's fair, isn't it?

I figure if someone finds themselves unemployed because of Covid, then they ought to receive the same amount in unemployment insurance that they'd be entitled to if they were laid off for any other reason... no more, no less... and they ought to receive it for as long as the crisis lasts. That's fair, isn't it?

That would be fair, but has nothing to do with what congress actually did.

That would be fair, but has nothing to do with what congress actually did.

I don't deny that the House bills have been pretty heavy on the spending side... but by the same token, I don't expect any finalized package to keep them intact... I think it's completely possible to pass a Senate bill that's bigger than the "skinny" proposal, but less than the House bill... I don't think the seven Senate Democratic centrists would insist on passing anywhere near what passed the House.

In 2010 while millions were losing their jobs and homes Moscow Mitch is on video saying the GOP's #1 priority was to make Obama a 1 term president.. Their priority wasn't helping Americans, it was politics..

Nothing has changed with Moscow Mitch, or the GOP, it's still party before country..

They can all go to hell.

They only become "deficit hawks" when Democrats are in power, as is about to happen.

They certainly didn't care about the $1 trillion 2017 tax bonanza for the wealthy and corporations.

In politics, as in life, allies get away with more indulgences than opponents. I don't think that sort of hypocrisy means their concerns are not genuine.

So you are saying that anybody in America that wants a job can get one?
That's like saying anybody that wants to get tested for covid can at anytime?

Yes it is .If a bill is passed , so far all I here from Senate Republicans is complaints and whining .

Last edited:
I don't deny that the House bills have been pretty heavy on the spending side... but by the same token, I don't expect any finalized package to keep them intact... I think it's completely possible to pass a Senate bill that's bigger than the "skinny" proposal, but less than the House bill... I don't think the seven Senate Democratic centrists would insist on passing anywhere near what passed the House.
It is my opinion that the Senate don't want to pass any Stimulus package bill until after election.
Why I don't know , maybe Trump wants to take credit for it like he did the first one.

In 2010 while millions were losing their jobs and homes Moscow Mitch is on video saying the GOP's #1 priority was to make Obama a 1 term president.. Their priority wasn't helping Americans, it was politics..

Nothing has changed with Moscow Mitch, or the GOP, it's still party before country..

They can all go to hell.
I agree, but a certain kind of Hell , Make Moscow Mitch homeless on the south side of Chicago .

In politics, as in life, allies get away with more indulgences than opponents. I don't think that sort of hypocrisy means their concerns are not genuine.
Time after time Republican concerns lean heavily to the rich and rich corporations that is fact.
The poor and unemployed, the elderly and sick not so much.

You overlook the real American people that is looking hard at this stimulus package.
The average American citizen that needs help.
When your rent money is low , and utility bills may be put on hold , and you have to start looking for food banks to get food .
What happens to a politician don't seem that important , but the key figures in politics that refuses to help in this situation will be remembered come election time and there are a lot of new registered Voters this election.
Besides, everybody knows it's McConnell's name on the blocking of the Stimulus bill .
That is unless you are saying that Sen. Leader Mitch McConnell is a puppet performing at President Trump's leisure .
The early voting numbers are already showing us how this election is heading, for a biden landslide. Who thinks this massive turnout is for trump? I don't. Remember now the kids who have lived through school shootings are starting to vote in numbers. People are turning out because they are tired of trump and his antics. Fear will not win this election.

The early voting numbers are already showing us how this election is heading, for a biden landslide. Who thinks this massive turnout is for trump? I don't. Remember now the kids who have lived through school shootings are starting to vote in numbers. People are turning out because they are tired of trump and his antics. Fear will not win this election.
I could not debate that post, I would lose.
I agree with your post.

Time after time Republican concerns lean heavily to the rich and rich corporations that is fact.
Very true, and I don't think it is just Rs who favor their political allies in a way that is in a sense hypocritical. As one of many examples, teachers and their unions generally support Ds. Accordingly, no matter how much Ds care about children, they will not fight those allies. Specifically, e.g., teachers and their unions want more funding, higher pensions, no public funding for schools that compete with their model, and rules that make it virtually impossible to fire an incompetent teacher. Ds go silent on these points (or make lukewarm, unconvincing counter-arguments) and try to focus elsewhere because they're not going to win elections if they go after their own supporters. I don't think that means Ds don't actually care about quality education for children; it is just a form of hypocrisy necessitated by our current two-choices-winner-take-all politics coupled with a generally unsophisticated (disinterested, uninformed, easily distracted) national electorate.

Very true, and I don't think it is just Rs who favor their political allies in a way that is in a sense hypocritical. As one of many examples, teachers and their unions generally support Ds. Accordingly, no matter how much Ds care about children, they will not fight those allies. Specifically, e.g., teachers and their unions want more funding, higher pensions, no public funding for schools that compete with their model, and rules that make it virtually impossible to fire an incompetent teacher. Ds go silent on these points (or make lukewarm, unconvincing counter-arguments) and try to focus elsewhere because they're not going to win elections if they go after their own supporters. I don't think that means Ds don't actually care about quality education for children; it is just a form of hypocrisy necessitated by our current two-choices-winner-take-all politics coupled with a generally unsophisticated (disinterested, uninformed, easily distracted) national electorate.
I guess you missed that dust up in Wisconsin huh?
When a Republican Gov. wanted to take bargaining rights away from Teachers .
Or maybe you missed Education getting cut by a bill the Republican senate passed.
You know when Education gets cut it effects Teachers and not in a good way.
The only thing about education that hasn't been cut or investigated is the Board of Education .
I don't recall anybody looking at their books.

Sen. Leader Mitch McConnell does not change light bulbs but he does get
federal judges confirmed and 2 supreme court justices. Soon to be 3 justices!

Over 200 judicial nominee's confirmed! Great job Leader McConnell!

Sen. Leader Mitch McConnell does not change light bulbs but he does get
federal judges confirmed and 2 supreme court justices. Soon to be 3 justices!

Over 200 judicial nominee's confirmed! Great job Leader McConnell!
Ask the great McConnell how many bills that were passed by the house to get stuck in the Senate by the Senate leader.
Ask how long he intends to hold up a stimulus package that was passed by the house in September.
This package is to help the American people .
McConnell has been sitting on it talking about it for almost 2 months WHY???
After all it's not his money and a lot of voters are voting straight down the line.
So if you are on the ticket this time.................

Ask the great McConnell how many bills that were passed by the house to get stuck in the Senate by the Senate leader.
Ask how long he intends to hold up a stimulus package that was passed by the house in September.
This package is to help the American people .
McConnell has been sitting on it talking about it for almost 2 months WHY???
After all it's not his money and a lot of voters are voting straight down the line.
So if you are on the ticket this time.................

Easy.. they are bad bills!! WE are not going to bail out places that had major budget problems
because of piss poor leadership before the pandemic.
This is not a get out of debt card for poorly managed cities/states.

I guess you missed that dust up in Wisconsin huh?
When a Republican Gov. wanted to take bargaining rights away from Teachers .
Or maybe you missed Education getting cut by a bill the Republican senate passed.
You know when Education gets cut it effects Teachers and not in a good way.
The only thing about education that hasn't been cut or investigated is the Board of Education .
I don't recall anybody looking at their books.
You may have missed that I was talking about what D pols support, not what happens. Also, taht education spending generally speaking has gone way up over time. (Results, not so much.)

Easy.. they are bad bills!! WE are not going to bail out places that had major budget problems
because of piss poor leadership before the pandemic.
This is not a get out of debt card for poorly managed cities/states.
So the money that went to the rich corporations was that bad leadership as well or was that just another excuse.
As far as a get out of debt free card the rich corporations as used this before.
In 2012 to the tune of 740 million tax payer dollars.
Not too many Republican right-wingers complaining then about bad leadership..
Just to show how good this policy works as soon as the Corporations got their money they started laying people off.

As for the bad bills? According to who, the American people or the Republican party or Moscow Mitch???

Last edited:
You may have missed that I was talking about what D pols support, not what happens. Also, taht education spending generally speaking has gone way up over time. (Results, not so much.)
I get that a lot, "all this money going into education more money going into education , where's t going.
Well as near as I can figure the teachers salary as been inspected , the schools as been inspected.
When was the last investigation of the board of education.
Frankly I can't remember one???

My lord, you cannot be paying attention. If you had just said politicians, it would have been so much more accurate.

I get that a lot, "all this money going into education more money going into education , where's t going.
Well as near as I can figure the teachers salary as been inspected , the schools as been inspected.
When was the last investigation of the board of education.
Frankly I can't remember one???
I can't remember who, but one poster on a different thread made the claim that a huge part of increased spending on various things (education presumably included) is to pay pension obligations.

My lord, you cannot be paying attention. If you had just said politicians, it would have been so much more accurate.
Well , if you want politicians . However, the last politician to cut Education, Trump.

I can't remember who, but one poster on a different thread made the claim that a huge part of increased spending on various things (education presumably included) is to pay pension obligations.
So the Republican Gov. of Wisconsin that wanted to stop the bargaining position on Teachers was nothing ????

Back
Top Bottom