• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Long does it take Sen. Leader Mitch McConnell to change a light bulb?

presluc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Answer don't know if a light bulb blows instead of replacing it with a better one , he will stumble around in the dark looking for a cheaper one .

That is in fact what he has done with the second Stimulus package, While many American people are in dire straights , McConnell is still playing politics.
Watch your back Sen. Leader , you just might lose that title very soon , The American people that are waiting for that stimulus package that you continue to block ., Well many of them VOTE check the polls lately have ya?,

Not passing a stimulus bill hurts Trump the most.

I guess that's what republicans and democrats want.

You overlook the real American people that is looking hard at this stimulus package.
The average American citizen that needs help.
When your rent money is low , and utility bills may be put on hold , and you have to start looking for food banks to get food .
What happens to a politician don't seem that important , but the key figures in politics that refuses to help in this situation will be remembered come election time and there are a lot of new registered Voters this election.
Besides, everybody knows it's McConnell's name on the blocking of the Stimulus bill .
That is unless you are saying that Sen. Leader Mitch McConnell is a puppet performing at President Trump's leisure .

Last edited:

The House has already passed a bill, though - they've had bills waiting for action since May... they're just waiting on the Senate to pass something so that conference negotiations can begin.

It seems to me that it ought to be possible to get something passed by the Senate before the election and then just pass the parts the House and Senate can agree on in a 90-day Continuing Resolution. Just punt it until the lame duck session when a more comprehensive deal can get negotiated.

What we need is for someone in the Senate to step up and put together a short-term bill that 13 Republicans can join with the Democrats to pass to just get us past the election, just so the country can get some measure of economic relief.

The House has already passed a bill, though - they've had bills waiting for action since May... they're just waiting on the Senate to pass something so that conference negotiations can begin.

It seems to me that it ought to be possible to get something passed by the Senate before the election and then just pass the parts the House and Senate can agree on in a 90-day Continuing Resolution. Just punt it until the lame duck session when a more comprehensive deal can get negotiated.

What we need is for someone in the Senate to step up and put together a short-term bill that 13 Republicans can join with the Democrats to pass to just get us past the election, just so the country can get some measure of economic relief.
What we need is a Senate that will address the bills passed by the House instead of putting them on a shelf.
Many people have forgotten the shootings of Dayton Ohio , A new gun control bill was passed by the House, anybody heard from it since?
Stimulus package been worked on since September 4 times the House passed , the Senate Leader blocked it.
This is not politics , this is Average Americans who was put in Dire straights through no fault of their own.
So why is McConnell playing politics with American lives and well being????

What we need is a Senate that will address the bills passed by the House instead of putting them on a shelf.
Many people have forgotten the shootings of Dayton Ohio , A new gun control bill was passed by the House, anybody heard from it since?
Stimulus package been worked on since September 4 times the House passed , the Senate Leader blocked it.
This is not politics , this is Average Americans who was put in Dire straights through no fault of their own.
So why is McConnell playing politics with American lives and well being????

Well, I don't blame the Republicans for not acting on gun control... let's face it, we all know where they stand on the issue - so why would they waste valuable floor time and risk potential political embarrassment by bringing it to the floor?

But there doesn't seem to be the same excuse for stimulus... I think there's pretty broad consensus on both sides of the aisle that we need a stimulus bill... even if there are quantitative and qualitative differences on what that stimulus should entail. I think the problem there is a lack of Presidential leadership on the matter and Senator McConnell's skill set. He's very good at stopping legislation... but his skills on actually passing something are somewhat limited, to say the least.

Legislatively speaking, I think one of President Trump's biggest mistakes was not engineering a replacement of McConnell with Thune way back when he was first elected. Thune is very good a getting bills passed. I figured Trump would work against McConnell in the same way Bush engineered Trent Lott's replacement with Frist back in 2002... but that never happened, and it led to him being a much weaker legislative President than he should have been... even with his tendency to undercut Congressional Republicans. I think if he had Thune as his majority leader, he'd be in a much stronger position than he finds himself today.

But, like momma always said, "Stupid is as stupid does..."

From McConnell's perspective, I think it actually works to his advantage if Trump isn't re-elected... he stands a better chance of keeping his majority leader position as an steadfast opponent to a President Biden than as a spear-carrier for a 2nd term President Trump.

The Dem house passed a bill in May. They've had any number of bills. The GOP wants to go cheap, no doubt calculating that if (when) Biden wins, they can just blame him for the fallout and score points politically.

Sorta like how Trump calculated that he'd gain politically if he let COVID ravage blue states and kill liberals, then blame blue governors, and thus canceled a mass testing plan. But less evil than that.

The Dem house passed a bill in May. They've had any number of bills. The GOP wants to go cheap, no doubt calculating that if (when) Biden wins, they can just blame him for the fallout and score points politically.

Sorta like how Trump calculated that he'd gain politically if he let COVID ravage blue states and kill liberals, then blame blue governors, and thus canceled a mass testing plan. But less evil than that.
Well, I don't blame the Republicans for not acting on gun control... let's face it, we all know where they stand on the issue - so why would they waste valuable floor time and risk potential political embarrassment by bringing it to the floor?

But there doesn't seem to be the same excuse for stimulus... I think there's pretty broad consensus on both sides of the aisle that we need a stimulus bill... even if there are quantitative and qualitative differences on what that stimulus should entail. I think the problem there is a lack of Presidential leadership on the matter and Senator McConnell's skill set. He's very good at stopping legislation... but his skills on actually passing something are somewhat limited, to say the least.

Legislatively speaking, I think one of President Trump's biggest mistakes was not engineering a replacement of McConnell with Thune way back when he was first elected. Thune is very good a getting bills passed. I figured Trump would work against McConnell in the same way Bush engineered Trent Lott's replacement with Frist back in 2002... but that never happened, and it led to him being a much weaker legislative President than he should have been... even with his tendency to undercut Congressional Republicans. I think if he had Thune as his majority leader, he'd be in a much stronger position than he finds himself today.

But, like momma always said, "Stupid is as stupid does..."

From McConnell's perspective, I think it actually works to his advantage if Trump isn't re-elected... he stands a better chance of keeping his majority leader position as an steadfast opponent to a President Biden than as a spear-carrier for a 2nd term President Trump.
I agree with one of your post lines . "STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES"

Ah the old blame game Trump is quite good at that.
One thing about McConnell and this stimulus package that he is currently blocking .
Trump as always criticized everybody that disagrees with him from politicians to journalist to scientist that is fact.
Yet he ask for a big stimulus package McConnell blocked it , Trump said nothing to or about McConnell WHY?
Is Trump afraid of McConnell or is McConnell acting on Trump's orders and letting Trump take the high road while McConnell takes the heat?

Ah the old blame game Trump is quite good at that.
One thing about McConnell and this stimulus package that he is currently blocking .
Trump as always criticized everybody that disagrees with him from politicians to journalist to scientist that is fact.
Yet he ask for a big stimulus package McConnell blocked it , Trump said nothing to or about McConnell WHY?
Is Trump afraid of McConnell or is McConnell acting on Trump's orders and letting Trump take the high road while McConnell takes the heat?
I think they just want people to die so they can suppress more votes.

McConnell does not have the votes in the Senate. While Democrats in Congress are not allowed to make any decisions themselves, Republicans in Congress can be more independent.

McConnell does not have the votes in the Senate. While Democrats in Congress are not allowed to make any decisions themselves, Republicans in Congress can be more independent.
The last time a Republican Senate was "Independent was 2015.

Well, then why don't they "independently" put up a bill that 7 Democratic Senators could sign off on?

Here... I'll name'em for you and rate'em on how conservative they are (out of 10) - Manchin (D-WV) - 7.1; Tester (D-MT) - 5.6; Jones (D-AL) - 5.1; Warner (D-VA) - 4.6; Peters (D-MI) - 4.4; Coons (D-DE) - 4.2; Bennett (D-CO) - 4.1.

There you go - the stimulus seven.... all very much centrists, all of them in favor of passing some form of relief package. If McConnell (or the President, for that matter) put out a package Mike Bennett can sign off on, I guarantee it'll pass the House.

Well, then why don't they "independently" put up a bill that 7 Democratic Senators could sign off on?

Here... I'll name'em for you and rate'em on how conservative they are (out of 10) - Manchin (D-WV) - 7.1; Tester (D-MT) - 5.6; Jones (D-AL) - 5.1; Warner (D-VA) - 4.6; Peters (D-MI) - 4.4; Coons (D-DE) - 4.2; Bennett (D-CO) - 4.1.

There you go - the stimulus seven.... all very much centrists, all of them in favor of passing some form of relief package. If McConnell (or the President, for that matter) put out a package Mike Bennett can sign off on, I guarantee it'll pass the House.
Its like they think democrats can afford to not pass a relief package even if they didnt want to.

Answer don't know if a light bulb blows instead of replacing it with a better one , he will stumble around in the dark looking for a cheaper one .

That is in fact what he has done with the second Stimulus package, While many American people are in dire straights , McConnell is still playing politics.
Watch your back Sen. Leader , you just might lose that title very soon , The American people that are waiting for that stimulus package that you continue to block ., Well many of them VOTE check the polls lately have ya?,

It depends on how long he has to wait for the stupid liberal who fell off the ladder to get out of his way.

Yes the Senate is independent when the bills involve the little people. On bills involving the donor class, McConnell rules with an iron fist and gets 100% compliance if he needs it. Here the benefits go to regular people so Mitch allows independence that will block aid to the masses.

Its like they think democrats can afford to not pass a relief package even if they didnt want to.

Bailing out incompetent cities is good....right?

Typical liberal BS hypocrisy. You ridicule Trump on the deficit & debt........but gimme my money!

Truth be told - whether he admits it or not - I think McConnell (and probably a good portion of the Senate Republican caucus) actually would prefer Trump to lose. I think he's much more comfortable as an opposition leader to a Democratic President than as an advocate of a Republican one... or at least one like Trump.

Plus, we can't overlook the fact that 4 out of the 7 centrist Democrats I listed are up for re-election... of course, the only one of those who is in any real trouble is Jones, but I'm sure McConnell doesn't want to give him any last-minute wins that could possibly turn his campaign around.

No

Like I said before......I can use some new mooring lines and a new VHF for the boat.

Gimme my money!

So you've lost work because of Covid? I only lost a couple of weeks back in April during the adjustment, so I think I'm doing fine... but I know most people out there are seriously hurting - I don't begrudge running up the debt somewhat to help people in that kind of a situation. And I especially don't begrudge direct healthcare spending to help State and Local Governments bolster their infrastructure to handle the crisis. I also don't mind helping businesses - small and large alike - to keep from folding and compensating them for the losses they've incurred because of the extra burden we've asked them to share. Cover those three things, and I think that's a worthwhile investment for the country to make to get us over this hump.

Does that sound reasonable to you?

Independent?! The GOP is practically a cult, now! 😂

What happened to independent Republican Justin Amash when he spoke out against Trump?

Bailing out incompetent cities is good....right?

Typical liberal BS hypocrisy. You ridicule Trump on the deficit & debt........but gimme my money!

Statements like this help to divide America even more.
So these incompetent cities, are you sure there is no republicans living in them?
Are you sure the only people that are in Dire Straights in America are all just one political party.
Which would that be Republicans or Democrats.
Check the Unemployment numbers count how many are Republican or Democrat , then get back to me.

It depends on how long he has to wait for the stupid liberal who fell off the ladder to get out of his way.
Really a stupid Liberal has been working on this bill since September McConnell stopped it .

Back
Top Bottom