• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How long did it take the Vaquita porpoise to evolve?

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
It's the smallest marine mammal. It has been around for 2.5 million years.

There are 10 animals left on the planet.

Hello, Vaquita Porpose; meet man, who is doing illegal fishing with nets that have killed your species down to 10 animals.

As part of the sixth great extinction event, where man is wiping out huge numbers of species, with 2/3 of all animals already killed off, and many extinctions at risk this century.

How long did it take the Vaquita porpoise to evolve? It hasn't taken long to reduce it to 10 animals and threaten extinction. If you'd like to help prevent extinctions like this, besides voting for people who will, you can donate to the Center for Biological Diversity.

Only one thing is disappearing faster than species (relatively) - languages. Diversity is taking a big hit ecologically and socially.

They are in sea of Cortez, local station reports on their plight frequently.

When I saw the thread title, I wondered if these were the porpoises in the Gulf of California. The population numbers have really crashed from when the first warnings of being endangered were issued.

With only 10 in existence, I applaud the optimism of the researchers. However, what is theoretically possible is being canceled by the continued illegal use of gillnets.

It's the smallest marine mammal. It has been around for 2.5 million years.

There are 10 animals left on the planet.

Hello, Vaquita Porpose; meet man, who is doing illegal fishing with nets that have killed your species down to 10 animals.

As part of the sixth great extinction event, where man is wiping out huge numbers of species, with 2/3 of all animals already killed off, and many extinctions at risk this century.

How long did it take the Vaquita porpoise to evolve? It hasn't taken long to reduce it to 10 animals and threaten extinction. If you'd like to help prevent extinctions like this, besides voting for people who will, you can donate to the Center for Biological Diversity.

I "liked" your post, but that feels like the wrong thing to do. I hate what you posted because of what it means for the world, every species gone is another miracle lost, but I appreciate you posting it.

I'm reminded of a Gahan Wilson cartoon in Playboy of a hunter killing the last of a species exclaiming "I got the last one!"

I'm reminded of a Gahan Wilson cartoon in Playboy of a hunter killing the last of a species exclaiming "I got the last one!"

That's not fair. Hunters are some of the most ecologically aware people. Ducks Unlimited was the first wildlife conservation organization in the US and it was created by hunters in order to maintain a sustainable population. You see, hunters want their children to be able to do the same things they are doing and they understand populations and they understand sustainable population management.

The average person who is not a hunter does not understand any of that. They don't see the need for habitat management. They think populations, in an artificially truncated habitat, just take care of themselves.

That's not fair. Hunters are some of the most ecologically aware people. Ducks Unlimited was the first wildlife conservation organization in the US and it was created by hunters in order to maintain a sustainable population. You see, hunters want their children to be able to do the same things they are doing and they understand populations and they understand sustainable population management.

The average person who is not a hunter does not understand any of that. They don't see the need for habitat management. They think populations, in an artificially truncated habitat, just take care of themselves.

It is entirely fair. My context is of those who by taking a gun out somewhere think that makes them a hunter, not those who are true hunters and do greatly care for the conservation of what they hunt. If there were no regs, those hunters would do just fine. Not the pretend hunters. They'd shoot anything and everything until all is gone.

The illegal gillnetters in the article of the OP are killing of a species as nothing more than collateral damage and will even kill off all they need for the success of their own fishing business until gone, and not give a ****.

It is entirely fair. My context is of those who by taking a gun out somewhere think that makes them a hunter, not those who are true hunters and do greatly care for the conservation of what they hunt. If there were no regs, those hunters would do just fine. Not the pretend hunters. They'd shoot anything and everything until all is gone.

It's ignorant. Hunters are not as you imagine.

It's ignorant. Hunters are not as you imagine.

Not all those who go hunting are from a hunter's perspective "hunters". The hunters I've known who I believe really are, I've never had a problem with. What many hunters call "city folk" are a diff matter. There's enough of them apples to spoil the barrel. If there were no regs but the hunters themselves to manage our wildlife, we'd not have much wildlife left.

For your, and perhaps other readers benefit, I've again clarified myself. I gave you how I delineated the diff btx the two in my last post. Yet you falsely accuse me of an imagination that is not mine, but yours of me. The ignorance is yours, not mine.

Not all those who go hunting are from a hunter's perspective "hunters". The hunters I've known who I believe really are, I've never had a problem with. What many hunters call "city folk" are a diff matter. There's enough of them apples to spoil the barrel. If there were no regs but the hunters themselves to manage our wildlife, we'd not have much wildlife left.

For your, and perhaps other readers benefit, I've again clarified myself. I gave you how I delineated the diff btx the two in my last post. Yet you falsely accuse me of an imagination that is not mine, but yours of me. The ignorance is yours, not mine.

Hunters are ecologically aware regardless of level of education. Your mischaracterization is horseshit.

Hunters are ecologically aware regardless of level of education. Your mischaracterization is horseshit.

Quote what I said that make you allege I thought hunters, in general, were not "...ecologically aware regardless of level of education." Otherwise, your characterization of me is horseshit.

Back
Top Bottom