• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How long before Obama care becomes the Affordable Care ACT?

thinkforyoursel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Over the years the republicans have demagogue the program thinking that Americans would despise it....because fro the right ...it's all about slogans and sound bite.

I predict ...in time when this program gains traction ...the rats on the right squealing today ...will see it's benefits and start taking advantage of it to save their miserable hides as they start aging. But when they embrace it...of course they won't call it Obama care. That's when it will return to ...the "Affordable care Act!'.

And I say this ...because its a very predictable pattern for the right. Remember, these people squeal and screamed about the horror of many of the social programs that they embraced and cling to today. But they can't escape the mind set that tells them the world will come to end if blacks ride in the front of a bus or Gay's getting married. This is the same mindset today about the horror of Obama Care.

And it's a pity, because had they not co-opted this Armageddon mindset, when this law was being shaped they could have perhaps help to make it better. Because the one thing anybody with sense could understand was that the healthcare system was messed up!

The "program" was hopelessly lost the first closed door meeting Obama had with the insurance companies. It'll be called Obamacare forever and this president will have to live with that legacy. Unfortunately the rest of us will have to live with the destruction it causes until it's replaced. There is no traction gain in sight, only traction loss as even the uninsured pre-Obamacare see what it is and that it's really not the free stuff they were expecting.

"How long before Obama care becomes the Affordable Care ACT?"

When it becomes affordable?

"How long before Obama care becomes the Affordable Care ACT?"

When it becomes affordable?

post of the day.....

here's a little gem for you on the ACA.

I went to their cost estimator site and plugged in some numbers. using my family as a base and assuming I worked minimum wage for 40hrs/week, 52 weeks/year. the cost of my premium for their "silver plan" would be

$13,247 per year. my "income" for the year (before taxes) would be $15080.

how in ****'s sake can that be considered "affordable"? that's 87.8% of my gross income for obamacare. and, assuming anyone actually got sick/injured and needed to see a freakin doctor, the copays and deductible would eat up the rest. surely their calculator is off or I am missing something. otherwise this is definitely not "affordable".

hell's bells...I make more than 4X that and I would be hard pressed to come up with $13K to fork over

I went to their cost estimator site and plugged in some numbers. using my family as a base and assuming I worked minimum wage for 40hrs/week, 52 weeks/year. the cost of my premium for their "silver plan" would be

how in ****'s sake can that be considered "affordable"? that's 87.8% of my gross income for obamacare. and, assuming anyone actually got sick/injured and needed to see a freakin doctor, the copays and deductible would eat up the rest. surely their calculator is off or I am missing something. otherwise this is definitely not "affordable".

hell's bells...I make more than 4X that and I would be hard pressed to come up with $13K to fork over

I thought poor folks were supposed to get subsidized policies. No? You mean to say that at minimum wage you don't qualify for subsidies?

I thought poor folks were supposed to get subsidized policies. No? You mean to say that at minimum wage you don't qualify for subsidies?

according to the site, I would not qualify for a subsidy.

Well, I had to check this out, so I found a cost estimator here.

Sure enough, it is as you say. If I make $10,000 and support a family of 4 with 2 children my premium would be $8,919 a year and I don't qualify for any subsidy.

Holy Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick. THIS is what the Democrats are going to the mat for?

The "program" was hopelessly lost the first closed door meeting Obama had with the insurance companies. It'll be called Obamacare forever and this president will have to live with that legacy. Unfortunately the rest of us will have to live with the destruction it causes until it's replaced. There is no traction gain in sight, only traction loss as even the uninsured pre-Obamacare see what it is and that it's really not the free stuff they were expecting.

Obamacare caused my garage to collapse!

Well, I had to check this out, so I found a cost estimator here.

Sure enough, it is as you say. If I make $10,000 and support a family of 4 with 2 children my premium would be $8,919 a year and I don't qualify for any subsidy.

Holy Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick. THIS is what the Democrats are going to the mat for?

Plug in the numbers again and read the whole page.

It says at 100% below poverty level you are eligible for Medicaid.

The $8000 cost was unsubsidized cost of plan. You would not qualify for this because you would qualify for Medicaid.

Plug in the numbers again and read the whole page.

It says at 100% below poverty level you are eligible for Medicaid.

The $8000 cost was unsubsidized cost of plan. You would not qualify for this because you would qualify for Medicaid.

Not where I live. And that applies to about half of adults nation wide.

So there is no Medicaid where you live?

Beyond the pledges: Where the states stand on Medicaid | The Advisory Board Daily Briefing

There's a lot of states out that have not expanded Medicaid. It's kind of a stupid protest Obamacare as it hurts those who would benefit from the expansion. If you're below poverty level Obamacare provides no subsidy because it allows the expanded Medicaid to be provided free. So in states that expanded Medicaid the $10,000 income person is getting free Medicaid. There might be some fraud of ACA by folks who are really under the poverty level but live in a state that hates poor people. If they overstate their income they can qualify for subsidy on the exchange.

Gotta call B.S. on this prove it!!!! You making **** up!!! LMAO I hope you realize everyone sees right through this garbage. The math you stated simple des not match up.

Gotta call B.S. on this prove it!!!! You making **** up!!! LMAO I hope you realize everyone sees right through this garbage. The math you stated simple des not match up.

No, it's right. No B.S. there. If you are below poverty level you qualify for free expanded Medicaid. Your state must have expanded Medicaid. However, the state is free to turn down federal funding for Medicaid expansion and not expand. If that happens you not only don't receive Medicaid but you also don't qualify for a subsidy on the exchange.

Beyond the pledges: Where the states stand on Medicaid | The Advisory Board Daily Briefing

There's a lot of states out that have not expanded Medicaid. It's kind of a stupid protest Obamacare as it hurts those who would benefit from the expansion. If you're below poverty level Obamacare provides no subsidy because it allows the expanded Medicaid to be provided free. So in states that expanded Medicaid the $10,000 income person is getting free Medicaid. There might be some fraud of ACA by folks who are really under the poverty level but live in a state that hates poor people. If they overstate their income they can qualify for subsidy on the exchange.

Great info.

But some people here are claiming for a family of four earning between 10000-15000 a year, that there is only $8000 a year coverage. Well below poverty level. Not only would they qualify for Medicaid, but other services as well.

Just because they have not expanded Medicaid doesn't mean it is not available.

And for what it is worth, I am not sure Obama is the one to be mad at for states actively choosing not to participate in Medicaid expansion.

So there is no Medicaid where you live?

Not for adults (other than pregnant women) in Texas and several other states. The two kids in my hypothetical family would get Medicaid, but not the parents until they are like below 10% of the poverty level or something like that.

That's what the CBO means when they say that the ACA will leave 30 million without coverage. Half of the adults in that situation are in states that don't cover them with Medicaid. The idea that the ACA was going to cover those people died when SCOTUS ruled that states could not be forced to extend Medicaid to them.

This sets up an interesting dynamic. Since no one can be denied poor people who get sick in Texas could move to California or some such state and enroll in Medicaid.

Last edited:

That's something I hadn't thought of. If I make $12,000 a year but tell them I make 134% of the poverty level, which would be $15,500 a year, I could get the maximum subsidy, which would be about $1,800, and I would pay $40 a month. Not bad. Government health care through creative fraud.

Of course, there are still those deductables and co-pays to worry about, but I think those are subsidized, too.

Not for adults (other than pregnant women) in Texas and several other states. The two kids in my hypothetical family would get Medicaid, but not the parents until they are like below 10% of the poverty level or something like that.

That's what the CBO means when they say that the ACA will leave 30 million without coverage. Half of the adults in that situation are in states that don't cover them with Medicaid. The idea that the ACA was going to cover those people died when SCOTUS ruled that states could not be forced to extend Medicaid to them.

This sets up an interesting dynamic. Since no one can be denied poor people who get sick in Texas could move to California or some such state and enroll in Medicaid.

I did a quick google. It seems Texas has several programs for the poor. Medicaid is one option. The other is CIHCP.

County Indigent Health Care Program

I did a quick google. It seems Texas has several programs for the poor. Medicaid is one option. The other is CIHCP.

County Indigent Health Care Program

Yes, there is Medicaid in Texas. But they didn't expand it to cover people up to 133% of poverty level. So at the very low end of income you can get it. But if you're at say 130% of poverty level you won't qualify for Medicaid and you won't get any subsidy on the exchanges. You'll pay full unsubsidized exchange price for your insurance -- if you can afford it (not likely). At 134% you qualify for subsidies on the exchange and can likely get something there for free after subsidy. So there's a gap in government assistance for a group that really needs government assistance or can't afford health insurance. And the best part is we penalize them for failing to buy insurance that they can't afford.

Once the country embraces it and it becomes part of the fabric of everyday life , the republicons will gloat how the individual mandate part of the Affordable Care Act was their idea and Obama stole it!
:lamo:lamo

Yes, there is Medicaid in Texas. But they didn't expand it to cover people up to 133% of poverty level. So at the very low end of income you can get it. But if you're at say 130% of poverty level you won't qualify for Medicaid and you won't get any subsidy on the exchanges. You'll pay full unsubsidized exchange price for your insurance -- if you can afford it (not likely). At 134% you qualify for subsidies on the exchange and can likely get something there for free after subsidy. So there's a gap in government assistance for a group that really needs government assistance or can't afford health insurance. And the best part is we penalize them for failing to buy insurance that they can't afford.

And is the lack of expansion Obama's fault?;)

Medicaid and the County Indigent program seem to be different...it looks like they exist separately (you cannot have both coverage at the same time).Hopefully this would help narrow some gaps.

Realistically some states embraced ACA from the git go and worked with the process, others seemed to resist as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom