• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How is your garden going?

Not much to report but the ginger is doing really well. I also emptied a tray of harvested pea sprouts in some empty spot and they are thriving.

@PIPEWRENCH
to continue from the dinner thread.
We have a bumper crop of tomatoes at the moment and we are sharing them with others. The okra is coming in, although the cucumbers seem to suffer heat related issues. Some of them are bitter, sad to say.
Some of the corn will be ready to pick by the end of the week, but we have to be on the look out for wildlife.

@PIPEWRENCH
to continue from the dinner thread.
We have a bumper crop of tomatoes at the moment and we are sharing them with others. The okra is coming in, although the cucumbers seem to suffer heat related issues. Some of them are bitter, sad to say.
Some of the corn will be ready to pick by the end of the week, but we have to be on the look out for wildlife.
It seems the weather is good for one crop and bad for another. Every year we seem to have something that does not fair to good. One year I planted 4 kirby cucumber plants and must of got a half dozen 5 gallon buckets of them. The next year I had only 1 plant make it and only got a couple of cucumbers. I learned to plant a variety and take what I get.

It seems the weather is good for one crop and bad for another. Every year we seem to have something that does not fair to good. One year I planted 4 kirby cucumber plants and must of got a half dozen 5 gallon buckets of them. The next year I had only 1 plant make it and only got a couple of cucumbers. I learned to plant a variety and take what I get.
We are planting in different locations. The peppers weren't doing well in the raised bed, so we planted more in the garden. Problem is, now I have to run all over the place to weed, water and harvest. Good exercise, but that heat gets you, even in the early morning hours.

We are planting in different locations. The peppers weren't doing well in the raised bed, so we planted more in the garden. Problem is, now I have to run all over the place to weed, water and harvest. Good exercise, but that heat gets you, even in the early morning hours.

Put in mulch. I have a friend in landscaping and I get pickup loads of those chipped branches for free. I keep about 6 inches in my garden. No weeding, no watering, and most years what does grow grows better that ever before. Even after a coupe of weeks of dry weather when I move the mulch aside to check the dirt it is always perfectly moist. The only problem is you have to add new every year and eventually you end up with the garden much higher than the surrounding soil. Every 5 years I dig out pickup loads of beautiful top soil and give it to family for their flower beds. The other thing is no more turning over the soil. I guess the worms keep it nice and soft. I just move the much aside and plant seedlings and move it back when they get tall enough.

Pepper plants can be difficult. My plants attract insects, so I use fly paper to keep them off. Water every three days. The plants like fertilizer, too, like every three weeks or so, a sprinkle of triple 16. They do produce an abundance of fruit if managed well, though.
Here's my plants:

Habanero, second season:
image.jpg

Jalapeno, the easiest pepper:

image.jpg

And my Serrano, still growing:

image.jpg

Pepper plants can be difficult. My plants attract insects, so I use fly paper to keep them off. Water every three days. The plants like fertilizer, too, like every three weeks or so, a sprinkle of triple 16. They do produce an abundance of fruit if managed well, though.
Here's my plants:

Habanero, second season:
image.jpg

Jalapeno, the easiest pepper:

image.jpg

And my Serrano, still growing:

image.jpg
Those are some nice plants. Ours are much better now that they are in a different location.

Yikes! The weight of the jalapenos caused the plant to almost fall over. Damn. So I affixed a tomato cage on both the Jalapeno and the Serrano. The Jalapeno seeding I bought wasn't labeled as a "Giant" variety, but some of the fruits are 5 inches long. Ha. Never can tell, I guess.

Yikes! The weight of the jalapenos caused the plant to almost fall over. Damn. So I affixed a tomato cage on both the Jalapeno and the Serrano. The Jalapeno seeding I bought wasn't labeled as a "Giant" variety, but some of the fruits are 5 inches long. Ha. Never can tell, I guess.
Are yours spicy? We had very spicy ones in the garden last year, this year they are not spicy at all.

Are yours spicy? We had very spicy ones in the garden last year, this year they are not spicy at all.
Actually, no. I sliced two of the big ones up with some scrambled eggs and they were really mild.

I am so sorry. Growing a garden is a lot of work only to have some critter run off with the fruits of your labor.
Our local corn has been excellent this year. Some of the best I have ever had. On July 4th it wasn't even knee high. Due to farmers unable to work the fields because of the excessive amount of rain in the Spring. Outside the city limits you will see pickup trucks full of freshly picked corn and other veggies selling them right out of the back of their trucks. My brother has 8 acres and always puts in a good size garden. I usually get some tomatoes, green beans, bell peppers, summer squash, eggplant but this year their garden did not do well. All my roadside stops I go for tomatoes are not selling any. So next year, I am going to plant beefsteak and heirlooms. along with fresh herbs I grow in pots and access them right outside my back door off from the kitchen.
I hope you don't mind my moving the conversation over here.
Our cherry tomatoes are doing rather well, a bumper crop, but the larger varieties are suffering due to heat and drought, so I pulled them out just the other day. That actually increased the zucchini productivity.
I grow herbs year round. We have a small green house for that purpose. When it gets too cold, we move the plants to a safe place. Nothing better than fresh herbs.

A bunch of Haberneros from one plant. And one Jalapeno.

image.jpg

I hope you don't mind my moving the conversation over here.
Our cherry tomatoes are doing rather well, a bumper crop, but the larger varieties are suffering due to heat and drought, so I pulled them out just the other day. That actually increased the zucchini productivity.
I grow herbs year round. We have a small green house for that purpose. When it gets too cold, we move the plants to a safe place. Nothing better than fresh herbs.
I don't mind at all. Like every gardener and farmer some crops each year do rather well while others are a bust. You are very fortunate to have fresh herbs year-round. In my neck of the woods, basil, dill weed, marjoram and parsley are annuals while sage, oregano, mint, rosemary and tarragon act like perennials. At one time I had an herb garden. But as the tree grew it shaded the location and the herbs struggled to get enough sun. Now I grow them in pots on the patio.

Back
Top Bottom