• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How is incest any different from homosexuality?

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Currently the views on incest in America are very negative while the views on homosexuality are very positive. In the case for 1st cousin marriage, it varies from state to state. While California and Colorado see absolutely no problem with it, Arizona requires one of the parties to be sterile or it will be void. Texas outright prohibits first cousin marriage (and even sexual activity) but marriages are not void.

Here's a wikipedia article of incest laws in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_regarding_incest_in_the_United_States

As with homosexuality, the supreme court ruled sodomy laws to be unconstitutional and as of 2015, the supreme court ruled that gay marriage is protected by the US constitution and is thus legal in all 50 states. But here you have most states give you years in prison and some of them even go up to LIFE IMPRISONMENT for a victimless crime. If that's not bad enough, you get put on the sex offender list even if both of you are over the age of consent.

Even Europe isn't safe from bigotry. Let's look at the one for "socially progressive" Dennmark:

In Denmark, incest is sex between lineal ancestors and descendants and between full siblings. Sex with a descendant is punishable by up to 6 years' imprisonment. Sex between siblings is punishable by up to 2 years' imprisonment.
-Wikipedia

However, Spain and Russia legalize all sex betweeen consenting adults though the latter bans marriage within the nuclear family.

Given these laws in the US and Europe, China probably offers life imprisonment for incest:

Barring the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, which have separate legal codes, consensual incest between adults is legal in the People's Republic of China. -Wikipedia

So doing it with your sister will get you years in prison in the land of the free but it's perfectly legal in communist china.

Given that homosexuality was pretty much in the same place half a century ago, we could see things change by 2050 and certainly by 2100.

To be fair, you could ask the same about heterosexuality and incest. In fact, seems I remember reading or hearing somewhere that incest was not always so taboo and that sometimes royalty would inbreed so as so keep that royal blood "pure".

Last edited:
:popcorn2:

On second thought.

:inandout:

Is there some contest that I'm not aware of where people are competing to find out who can ask the dumbest question?

Well that's the thing, incest was legal in more states (mostly southern) than homosexuality for the longest time, and you expect me to now have sympathy for sister ****ers in alabama if they got a taste of government intrusion into their relationships?

You have to be joking about "no victim." The very nature of family being so sexually intimate is like a boss and his employee being intimate - it's rife with exploitation potential

But never mind that. How about it should be illegal just because it grosses me out! When do i get this power for centuries claimed by hicks to oppress their gay citizens, but not the incestuous ?

Incest can produce offspring. Homosexuality cannot.

Anything else?

Gay incest does exist, but for obvious reasons is very rare. Also the same genetic failures can come about by artificial insemination (obviously regardless of sexuality), and i find it remarkable that's completely legal, while the physical sex is not

Don't expect logic behind any laws restricting the human body, even if the intention is good

Is there some contest that I'm not aware of where people are competing to find out who can ask the dumbest question?

actually this thread would be worth it if we could get the "I'm in love with my sister" dude in here

actually this thread would be worth it if we could get the "I'm in love with my sister" dude in here

I remember that thread. I don't think that guy ever mentioned his attraction to his sister again though.

You have to be joking about "no victim." The very nature of family being so sexually intimate is like a boss and his employee being intimate - it's rife with exploitation potential

if it's between 2 consenting adults then it shouldn't be illegal

I remember that thread. I don't think that guy ever mentioned his attraction to his sister again though.

Link or it didn't happen! :mrgreen:

"How is incest any different from homosexuality?"

Despite the direction the comments stumbled off in, am I correct in understanding that the OP intended to ask, "Why is an act of incest treated any differently in law than is a sexual act between two persons of the same sex?"

To be fair, you could ask the same about heterosexuality and incest. In fact, seems I remember reading or hearing somewhere that incest was not always so taboo and that sometimes royalty would inbreed so as so keep that royal blood "pure".

To be equally fair, the end result of that was usually sterile genetic dead-ends like the following.

Various Spanish monarchs.

1399606163-0.jpg

King Tut.

Bn91XBB.jpg

The Pharaohs are perfect examples...

The Hapsburg family were a batch of inbreeders as well.

It led to hemophilia and serious facial deformities.

How is incest different from homosexuality?

Besides literally being different?

Dat chin tho..

It was the family's distinguishing trait, originally.

The problem was that they married cousins for so damn long that the thing eventually became cartoonishly exaggerated, and deformed looking. The last few members of the line could barely feed themselves, and had trouble breathing due to how far their noses were sunk into their face.

There's another part of incest that is constantly overlooked, undue influence, potential grooming. This is why college professors can get fired for sleeping with their students, even when of age. Members of your family have profound influence in your life, and can, with bad intentions, influence a young child to have sexual feelings for them later, manipulate feelings unnaturally. It isn't always possible to know when the relationship began either.

Now, when it comes to cousins, those laws should change. Most cousins in the US do not get raised together, or even really near each other. There is not that high of risk of undue influence there. Plus cousins having children together comes with only a small increase in risk of birth defects, compared to other, closer blood relatives. Cousins only really have birth defect issues when it happens over generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about if the participants were adults and agreed to undergo irreversible sterilization?

Back
Top Bottom