• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

How Important is Space Exploration as a National Interest?

• Very, we should be sending men back to the moon, to Mars, and beyond

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • Somewhat, but we should stick to sending probes

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Not very important now, maybe in the future

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Not at all, it's a distraction and a waste of money

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Space is boring.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
And what happens when Russia is the only country that has vehicles that can get to space and they control the satellites and everything else up there.

From what we have seen recently, Russia is not anxious to work with the US so I would consider it in the national interest to keep a presence in space.

You have missed my "beyond the unavoidable defense infrastructure" caveat.

(But don't expect Russia (or China, for that matter) to get too far ahead in the "space race": "colonizing Mars", for example, is a project by a few orders of magnitude more complex than anything they had shown to be capable of, barring truly radical reforms. Not a matter of scale, but a matter of innovation and adaptation, on every step. If it is between the "Bezos and Bigelow" and the Putin's merry band of kleptocrats, my money is on the Western tycoons, safely.)

(But don't expect Russia (or China, for that matter) to get too far ahead in the "space race": "colonizing Mars", for example, is a project by a few orders of magnitude more complex than anything they had shown to be capable of, barring truly radical reforms. Not a matter of scale, but a matter of innovation and adaptation, on every step. If it is between the "Bezos and Bigelow" and the Putin's merry band of kleptocrats, my money is on the Western tycoons, safely.)

I wasn't thinking about anything that far off.

If only the Russians have Access to space we can't expect that our satellites or any of our other space junk will be serviced or taken care of like they should. If Russia decides we are back in a cold war, they can even knock our satellites out of orbit and that would be a disaster to the country.

The Russians want to Colonize the Moon with us.....which I have up in the other thread on if we should colonize the Moon. So they to know the cost.

Why explore space when 70% of Earth's oceans remain unexplored?

knock out satellites on orbit.
do ya know that killing three key GPS satellites will bring the whole network down because the space junk will fling round and impact the others in about 13 hours? The DoD has a contract out for in theatre GPS beacons so we can still shoot straight and find our way home in combat?

do ya know that killing three key GPS satellites will bring the whole network down because the space junk will fling round and impact the others in about 13 hours? The DoD has a contract out for in theatre GPS beacons so we can still shoot straight and find our way home in combat?

Yeah, we know about the Blue Beacon. :lol:

We don't go there in order to do science. We do science in order to go there.:aliens1:

"Lawyers In Love"

I can't keep up with what's been going on
I think my heart must just be slowing down
Among the human beings in their designer jeans
Am I the only one who hears the screams
And the strangled cries of lawyers in love

God sends his spaceships to America, the beautiful
They land at six o'clock and there we are, the dutiful
Eating from TV trays, tuned into to Happy Days
Waiting for World War III while Jesus slaves
To the mating calls of lawyers in love

Last night I watched the news from Washington, the capitol
The Russians escaped while we weren't watching them, like Russians will
Now we've got all this room, we've even got the moon
And I hear the U.S.S.R. will be open soon
As vacation land for lawyers in love

--Jackson Browne:mrgreen:

I would say it is very important.

I wasn't thinking about anything that far off.

If only the Russians have Access to space we can't expect that our satellites or any of our other space junk will be serviced or taken care of like they should. If Russia decides we are back in a cold war, they can even knock our satellites out of orbit and that would be a disaster to the country.

We will still have the Air Force. No one suggested with doing away with a military space program.

Back
Top Bottom