• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How important is military service for you when choosing a President?

• Critically important.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Very important, high on the list, but not a deal breaker.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Meh, somewhat important. A factor.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Not very important.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Zero factor.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Or, even a Senator or Representative?

Not important well unless he is campaigning on the military as a main platform.

It is certainly a consideration, but a small one. If two candidates where equal in regards to stance on issues, ability, knowledge and governmental experience, it would probably sway me to vote for the veteran.

IF we are going to continue with the POTUS being CiC of the military....IMHO, he should have at least been in the military.

If it came down to two candidates with identical views and one of them had military service then I would pick the one with military service.

I want them to have served. They don't have to have been a war hero, or even served in combat, but I want them to have some level of first-hand experience and knowledge of how the military works.

However, having said that, while it is important to me, it is not a deal-breaker.

It's a very good background to have, especially when you are making choices that will effect our military. Perhaps it will even give a little help with foreign policy and the such.

I use to feel it was vital - now, not so much. A lot of soldiers are too biased, pro-war, or pro-military action to be trusted to view things non-militaristically.

I think it depends very much on the individual, their personality, and what they did - as well as the views they hold regarding history, the use of military power, etc.

I'd like to see, if not military service(due to health problems) service, some kind of community service for all of us...politician or trash man...CEO or bum...
The Commander in Chief should have something, I'd think...

not at all, although people who have served and especially been in combat tend to be less inclined to go to war ... Bush avoided going to war, probably felt like a punk later, so he decided to be tough with other people's lives ... "Bring it on" ... yeah, just as long as it's not you being shot at ... Maybe if Obama had served, he may not have done his drone thing as irresponsibly as he did ... but, no, that shouldn't be a requirement at all ...

I don't think it should be a disqualification, but active duty personnel should not be eligible for president.

I would consider it an advantage if a candidate actually experienced war as a lower level soldier etc. Being an officer or a peace time military personnel would not be a significant factor, or would be a slight negative, depending on their positions.

I would consider it an advantage if a candidate actually experienced war as a lower level soldier etc. Being an officer or a peace time military personnel would not be a significant factor, or would be a slight negative, depending on their positions.

I can tell you, from my experience as an officer, I got shot at just as much as PVT Joe Snuffy.

This, of course, is wrong.
short sighted
narrow minded
conservative

Since that is the opinion of a progressive, it means that it is probably very well thought out, broad minded and not necessarily conservative, since it would be a change, not supporting the status quo. Such statements might be considered an insult, but coming from a progressive, it tells me it is a compliment and far more likely to be the right approach.

Being any kind of REMF would in my estimate be a negative. And yeah, I would trust officers, especially senior officers far less than I would an enlisted. But then, I am of Heinlein's opinion that all officers should have to be enlisted before becoming an officer.

being any kind of remf would in my estimate be a negative. And yeah, i would trust officers, especially senior officers far less than i would an enlisted. But then, i am of heinlein's opinion that all officers should have to be enlisted before becoming an officer.

remf?

(I type upper case and it converts to lower case. Don't know why)

Being any kind of REMF would in my estimate be a negative. And yeah, I would trust officers, especially senior officers far less than I would an enlisted. But then, I am of Heinlein's opinion that all officers should have to be enlisted before becoming an officer.

agree 100%... I was enlisted for 11 years before I got commissioned.

I have a strong preference for military veterans, but I won't sacrifice my core issues to vote for one.

We have had great presidents who haven't served, awful ones who have, and vice versa. Doesn't matter to me.

Even if I wanted to, I couldn't serve in the military. I have a hearing disability. I was born with substantially decreased hearing in my right ear. There are reasons for no military service.

Back
Top Bottom