• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How humans are being controlled?

Classic. Argumentum ad YouTube.

My big question is whether it is nature or nurture? My guess is there's a genetic component to it.

As H.L. Mencken observed, "The men the american people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars: the men they detest the most violently are those who try to tell them the truth."

To me, in my observation, it boils down, ultimately, to education. We're taught a certain way for a certain reason. Even in college we're taught just the tip of the iceberg. As one college professor of mine pointed out - it is our responsibility to discover the rest of the submerged iceberg floating in the icy waters. Self-education, as well as continuous education is paramount to being as well-informed as possible. For many though, they have not the time nor inclination to pursue educational activities once they graduated high school or left college. They rely on, all too often, what they've learned in school, or perhaps what they hear on TV or from friends and coworkers as the foundation and makeup of how they perceive the world around them. These are the people operating on the tip of iceberg. And all too often, when those types of people are exposed to the submerged part of the iceberg, in my observation, there are two responses: 1) they recoil from it in various ways or 2) they have a desire to know more. The former is the more common of the responses I've personally seen, either in person or online.

"Recoil" is certainly a great way to describe it, especially when seen in person. :lol:

To me, in my observation, it boils down, ultimately, to education. We're taught a certain way for a certain reason. Even in college we're taught just the tip of the iceberg.

That is why we should have had a National Recommended Reading List decades ago. But I suspect a truly good list would eliminate most of college education as shallow and redundant for the self motivated. It would tend to show that most teachers are not particularly smart.

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase
Anxiety Culture: Tyranny of Words - excerpt
The tyranny of words : Chase, Stuart, 1888-1985 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
"The Tyranny of Words" - YouTube

I would have read that in high school if I had known about it. Robert Heinlein talked about Loglan in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Renshaw in Citizen of the Galaxy.

psik

That is why we should have had a National Recommended Reading List decades ago. But I suspect a truly good list would eliminate most of college education as shallow and redundant for the self motivated. It would tend to show that most teachers are not particularly smart.

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase
Anxiety Culture: Tyranny of Words - excerpt
The tyranny of words : Chase, Stuart, 1888-1985 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
"The Tyranny of Words" - YouTube

I would have read that in high school if I had known about it. Robert Heinlein talked about Loglan in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Renshaw in Citizen of the Galaxy.

psik

A national level recommend reading list would be great in theory, but I know as I sit here typing this up, it would end up being a poorly realized concept.

Back
Top Bottom