• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How has Hollywood and the Mass Media brainwashed Christians?

atheism
ā′thē-ĭz″əm
noun

Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

The doctrine that there is no God; denial of the existence of God.

The denial of theism, that is, of the doctrine that the great first cause is a supreme, intelligent, righteous person.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

The dictionary does not have the final answer. It provides the various meanings ascribed to the word. It is inaccurate to say atheism denies god as atheism is a non belief in god. you can't deny something that you don't believe in and that isn't a subject of denial. That presupposes the existence of god as factual.

Last edited:
The dictionary does not have the final answer. It provides the various meanings ascribed to the word. It is inaccurate to say atheism denies god as atheism is a non belief in god. you can't deny something that you don't believe in and that isn't a subject of denial. That presupposes the existence of god as factual.
I accept that over the nonsense many people claiming to be atheists are saying. "Agnostic atheist" makes no sense.

Apatheism makes far more sense.

I accept that over the nonsense many people claiming to be atheists are saying. "Agnostic atheist" makes no sense.

Apatheism makes far more sense.

I don't see atheism as coming in different flavors. Not believing in gods describes it best. Just as theism is believing in god(s). The key here is that gods are something which can only be believed in or not. Gods are not a special category of imaginary things.

I don't see atheism as coming in different flavors. Not believing in gods describes it best. Just as theism is believing in god(s). The key here is that gods are something which can only be believed in or not. Gods are not a special category of imaginary things.

You seem to have a problem with the difference between

"Not believing in god(s)"

and

"Belief that there is no god or gods"

Atheism is the second. The first includes agnostics. It is like you are creating definitions to erase the difference between the two.

You seem to have a problem with the difference between

"Not believing in god(s)"

and

"Belief that there is no god or gods"

Atheism is the second. The first includes agnostics. It is like you are creating definitions to erase the difference between the two.

No, I don't have a problem. Theism is a belief in god(s) while atheism is about non belief in gods. That is what the "a" indicates. You either have the belief or not. It you do not believe, a logical conclusion follows, but that is not a belief.

Agnosticism states that we cannot have knowledge about the existence of gods. It is not about belief.

Then you are talking about agnosticism not atheism.
Why? The two are not mutually exclusive. One Agnosticism/Gnositicism is dealing with 'knowledge vs belief' , with theism/atheism has to do with 'god/without god'.

One either BELIEVES that GOD exists or BELIEVES that there is no GOD; however, there is no way to prove that there is no GOD ----- it's only a belief.
And black is white, and spots are stripes.

So you got a bunch of religious people making claims about people who are not religious, rather than asking the viewpoint of the people who actually hold that viewpoint.
It is not about who wrote it but what they wrote.

No belief in god(s)

vs

Belief in No god(s)

Are two different things. Atheism is the latter.

I selected the page for the etymology.

No belief in god(s)

vs

Belief in No god(s)

Shrug. You are mistaken. While there is the belief in no gods, that merely a stronger belief in no gods. Nor is it 'I don't know if I believe in Gods either.'

Atheism is the latter.
Uh, no it is not.

For some maybe, but surely not for most.

Atheism is the lack of belief.

I don’t believe in a god, or gods.

I don’t collect stamps. Not collecting stamps is not a hobby.

No belief in god(s)

vs

Belief in No god(s)

A lack of belief is not a belief. I don't know how many times that has been repeated now.

Back
Top Bottom