• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How far do you believe gun restrictions should go?

ajn678

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Just want to get opinions on how far some people believe gun control laws should go. Full assault weapons ban? Handgun ban? Complete ban? Should we have less strict gun control laws, or none at all?

We've gone too far already.

We need to work on enforcing the current laws, and improving mental health care.

Just want to get opinions on how far some people believe gun control laws should go. Full assault weapons ban? Handgun ban? Complete ban? Should we have less strict gun control laws, or none at all?

All the way to "shall not be infringed".

Well, that's a sort of open ended question. I think that modern military style assault weapons, quick release magazine change buttons and all high capacity magazines/ clips should be restricted from the market until the country can get control of the threat they pose within the criminal element and the proliferation of such weaponry in the country is thinned to all but nonexistence. Very hard restrictions on imports of such weaponry should be put to use, wherein such weaponry is banned from importation during the period of time it takes. Extremely tough penalties should be placed on criminals who use such weaponry in the commission of their crimes: perhaps 10 years for a first offense. That alone should have some effect.

Well, that's a sort of open ended question. I think that modern military style assault weapons, quick release magazine change buttons and all high capacity magazines/ clips should be restricted from the market until the country can get control of the threat they pose within the criminal element and the proliferation of such weaponry in the country is thinned to all but nonexistence. Very hard restrictions on imports of such weaponry should be put to use, wherein such weaponry is banned from importation during the period of time it takes. Extremely tough penalties should be placed on criminals who use such weaponry in the commission of their crimes: perhaps 10 years for a first offense. That alone should have some effect.

That should make those evil guns as rare as heroin or meth - available 24/7 from unregulated criminal cartels. ;)

Just want to get opinions on how far some people believe gun control laws should go.
1.)Full assault weapons ban?
2.) Handgun ban?
3.)Complete ban?
4.) Should we have less strict gun control laws, or none at all?

1.) no of course not
2.) no of course not
3.) no of course not
4.) yes and no . . cant give just one answer here because somethings i would remove and somethings i would add

<broken record skips and repeats>

I'd probably support any gun law that actually punishes bad guys/criminals that doesnt punish and endanger law abiding citizens while empowering bad guys at the same time

its really simply, i read a proposal and think about A and B.

A.) Does the proposal punish criminals and prevent criminal activities?
B.) Does the proposal punish law abiding people, endanger them and empower criminals?

The vast majority or proposals people make are A.) no and B.) Yes so I don't support them.

as for the rest I can be more specific if somebody likes but in general I think this sums it up pretty good.

Last edited:
Wish list?

IMO every adult citizen should have the right to be armed with the basic issue individual weapons of the common infantryman. This includes the rifled semi-automatic "assault weapon," and the standard automatic pistol. That meets the qualifications for purposes of call-up or revolt as a member of the militia.

Other than that? Weapons for hunting, sport shooting, collections, home security, etc., are good to go. Moreover, if the cops can carry them for use in dealing with "civilian" issues, then so can we. :shrug:

In keeping with that:

1. Juveniles should not be allowed to carry/use weapons unless supervised by a responsible adult, nor be allowed to purchase weapons themselves until they reach legal adulthood. Proof of age and relationship can be required;

2. Convicted criminals and the mentally ill, while either incarcerated or under supervised release, should not be allowed to own weapons until released from such control;

3. Open carry should be allowed without requiring a license;

4. Concealed carry only with a license;

5. Property owners (including the government) may regulate/restrict the possession of weapons on their property;

6. Training may be required and a certificate of annual training may be required and presented to purchase firearms. This training must be open to all citizens without restrictions/limitations except for items #1 & #2. (Well-regulated condition met).

7. Background checks allowed, but limited to hits for item #2 above.

Last edited:
That should make those evil guns as rare as heroin or meth - available 24/7 from unregulated criminal cartels. ;)

Let's see your brilliant solution.

subscribed

Wish list?

IMO every adult citizen should have the right to be armed with the basic issue individual weapons of the common infantryman. This includes the rifled semi-automatic "assault weapon," and the standard automatic pistol. That meets the qualifications for purposes of call-up or revolt as a member of the militia.

Other than that? If the cops can carry them for use in dealing with "civilian" issues, then so can we. :shrug:

In keeping with that:

1. Juveniles should not be allowed to carry/use weapons unless supervised by a responsible adult, nor be allowed to purchase weapons themselves until they reach legal adulthood. Proof of age and relationship can be required;

2. Convicted criminals and the mentally ill, while either incarcerated or under supervised release, should not be allowed to own weapons until released from such control;

3. Open carry should be allowed without requiring a license;

4. Concealed carry only with a license;

5. Property owners (including the government) may regulate/restrict the possession of weapons on their property;

6. Training may be required and a certificate of annual training may be required and presented to purchase firearms. This training must be open to all citizens without restrictions/limitations except for items #1 & #2. (Well-regulated condition met).

7. Background checks allowed, but limited to hits for item #2 above.

How times have changed....

As to 1. I remember fondly carrying my .22 around as early as 12 years old. No supervision was required nor desired. Old cans and fruit rats were the targets. At 18 I bought my first .22 hand gun. At 16 my first black powder kit.

Let's see your brilliant solution.

Instead of allowing convicted violent felons and the criminally insane to roam freely among us (and then try to keep them from getting access to guns) let's keep them locked up. I prefer to try to control criminal demand rather than limit the gun supply to them.

So you believe guns that are committed in minuscule amounts of crimes should be entirely banned? Also, what do you consider military style assault weapons as well as high capacity magazines. These terms are very ambiguous and vary from state to state. If your objective is to fight crime would you prefer to ban handguns? These are more likely to be involved in a crime.

Instead of allowing convicted violent felons and the criminally insane to roam freely among us (and then try to keep them from getting access to guns) let's keep them locked up. I prefer to try to control criminal demand rather than limit the gun supply to them.

We're doing that now: how is it helping?

Full Federal gun registration. Severe penalties for possession/use of an unregistered firearm.

That should solve a lot of problems, although the whining would reach deafening levels.

How times have changed....

As to 1. I remember fondly carrying my .22 around as early as 12 years old. No supervision was required nor desired. Old cans and fruit rats were the targets. At 18 I bought my first .22 hand gun. At 16 my first black powder kit.

Did your dad just hand you the .22 with a box of bullets and send you on your way, or did he do like MY dad and make sure I was trained with it?

Sorry, I think juveniles should be trained in safety and marksmanship. Moreover, IMO their weapons should not leave the house unless dad, mom, or an age-appropriate family member supervises them. Of course, if you live out in the boonies I doubt anyone will be able to hold you to that. :shrug:

Last edited:
We're doing that now: how is it helping?

We are definitely not doing that now - now we are letting them loose and trusting a NICS database just to keep them from gettng a gun or ammo at Walmart or Cabela's.

Did your dad just hand you the .22 with a box of bullets and send you on your way, or did he do like MY dad and make sure I was trained with it?

Sorry, I think juveniles should be trained in safety and marksmanship. Moreover, IMO their weapons should not leave the house unless dad, mom, or an age-appropriate family member supervises them. Of course, if you live out in the boonies I doubt anyone will be able to hold you to that. :shrug:

My Dad gave me the basics. Clear field of fire. Trigger discipline. A good idea how far the rounds would carry.

And then sent me on my way.

Maybe that's a Midwest or rural thing.

So you believe guns that are committed in minuscule amounts of crimes should be entirely banned? Also, what do you consider military style assault weapons as well as high capacity magazines. These terms are very ambiguous and vary from state to state. If your objective is to fight crime would you prefer to ban handguns? These are more likely to be involved in a crime.

Jet is a proud owner of a COMBAT WEAPON which is capable of carrying the evil 30 round magazines.

He also owns a COMBAT WEAPON in the form of a .45 cal semi automatic magazine fed pistol.

Ah, Hypocrisy is in the air.

The military assault style weapons (as you put it) are not really much of a problem when mixed with the criminal element. Too difficult to carry and conceal. Most of the shootings in the criminal element happen with the same weapon typically carried for self defense, and for the same reasons. Assault weapons are sometimes used by nut jobs withing to make a statement and not caring whether or not they die. I don't know how you stop these nut jobs. I doubt you can. Take away the gun and two bucks worth of gas and a match will be used.

Very hard restrictions on imports won't help. That will only stifle the lawful purchaser, not the criminal, who typically don't buy through legal sources.

Bottom line. Gun restrictions are about restricting legal guns, not limiting criminal access or criminals possessing guns and shooting each other with residual damage to those caught in the crossfire.

Jet is a proud owner of a COMBAT WEAPON which is capable of carrying the evil 30 round magazines.

He also owns a COMBAT WEAPON in the form of a .45 cal semi automatic magazine fed pistol.

Ah, Hypocrisy is in the air.

So he thinks he himself should have it and others shouldn't? That's rather strange to say the least.

So he thinks he himself should have it and others shouldn't? That's rather strange to say the least.

he wants california style laws imposed on all of the USA

So much for a debate...

look at his posts. no rational crime control suggestions in his posts , just wants to harass gun owners.

Back
Top Bottom