IMO every adult citizen should have the right to be armed with the basic issue individual weapons of the common infantryman. This includes the rifled semi-automatic "assault weapon," and the standard automatic pistol. That meets the qualifications for purposes of call-up or revolt as a member of the militia.
Other than that? Weapons for hunting, sport shooting, collections, home security, etc., are good to go. Moreover, if the cops can carry them for use in dealing with "civilian" issues, then so can we. :shrug:
In keeping with that:
1. Juveniles should not be allowed to carry/use weapons unless supervised by a responsible adult, nor be allowed to purchase weapons themselves until they reach legal adulthood. Proof of age and relationship can be required;
2. Convicted criminals and the mentally ill, while either incarcerated or under supervised release, should not be allowed to own weapons until released from such control;
3. Open carry should be allowed without requiring a license;
4. Concealed carry only with a license;
5. Property owners (including the government) may regulate/restrict the possession of weapons on their property;
6. Training may be required and a certificate of annual training may be required and presented to purchase firearms. This training must be open to all citizens without restrictions/limitations except for items #1 & #2. (Well-regulated condition met).
7. Background checks allowed, but limited to hits for item #2 above.