• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How exactly should the Russian attack on Ukraine be stopped?

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Should have had troops pulling exercises and a no fly zone over sovereign Ukraine space while Putin builds up, and then you can surprise him and take them on their own turf.

By eliminating nuclear weapons, and reforming the UN so that it could have the word condemn criminal wars started and collectively use force to defend those attacked - whether that means Putin attacking Ukraine or Bush attacking Iraq. Admittedly, that still leaves hard questions about how to remove the problem of brutal dictatorships like Saddam's or that in China.

But while it doesn't fix tyranny, it would help with the threat of nuclear war and invasions. However, the chances of these changes seem low, and the price innocent will pay for our not doing so it being paid by the people being killed in Ukraine.

On a more practical note, the way we're doing it is by providing massive aid to Ukraine and sanctions on Putin, while quietly creating massive pressure for the Russian leadership to remove Putin from power, recognizing that he's the cause of this.

It's sloppy but going better than we have any right to expect, and it's hard to see how to do much better while preventing nuclear war.

I have no idea how the rape of Ukraine by the Kremlin monster could have been stopped.

Obviously, President Biden's warning of severe sanctions did not impress the monster.

I guess during the months of buildup of Russian forces along the border, the good guys should have realized the bad guys (such as the monster's foreign minister) were lying when they denied any invasion was planned.

Then the good guys (the United States, of course, and NATO) should have purposely sent equipment (including jets) to the Ukrainians during the buildup.

I am very sorry that President Z. wants to speak with the monster.

If there are any negotiations, the Ukrainians should work through a third party.

No Ukrainian should want to be even in the presence of any Russian official.

Foreign newspapers that decide to mention his title and name of the monster should put quotation marks around the word "president."

What the monster and his fellow henchmen have done to the civilians and their cities should never be forgotten or forgiven.

No decent political leader in the world should ever meet or even mention the monster's name.

He should be a pariah until he leaves this earth.

Is this a thread for fantasy in the making? If it is here are two:
I'll say:
  1. The Russian military falls apart, unable to feed or supply it's forces, running out of bombs the bult of the lower comandlines start a revolution and give up to the Ukrainians without having authority to do so. Together with the Ukrainians they then fight the remaining troops (of chechens and paid forces) and start a revolutions of mothers in Russia. Some from the higher commands join them and arrest Putin. Russia is free...
  2. Putins worst fear becomes a reality and he is poisoned (did you know he has a "taster"... It really is the return of the czar era...). The war is ended, free elections announced, Russia is free.

I don't really get food tasters. couldn't poisons take hours to take effect in some cases?

I don't really get food tasters. couldn't poisons take hours to take effect in some cases?
Yeah, had the same thought when I read about it, and not to mention you have to eat from the same steak, with the same fork.... (I am a little picky about that)

By pulling back on our imperialist self and pulling wayyyy back on the building of USA military bases around the world. Japan has wanted our military out of their country yet
the USA government refuses to leave. NOT EVERYONE loves our imperial style government. Replacing our imperial style with Koch style Fascism is certainly not the answer.

Putin genocidal approach sucks no question about it.

"By eliminating nuclear weapons, and reforming the UN so that it could have the word condemn criminal wars started and collectively use force to defend those attacked - whether that means Putin attacking Ukraine or Bush attacking Iraq." THUMBS UP

MAKE LOVE NOT WAR our immune systems would appreciate this.

By the UN growing some balls and doing what it was designed to do.

First, Russia should be removed from the Security Council.

Then, every member nation of the UN should have troops and equipment on the ground in Ukraine, in overwhelming numbers. These forces would seek out & destroy every last Russian killing machine they can find. But no operations whatsoever on Russian soil.

Putin would probably use nukes to defend the Russian homeland, but I don't think he would use them against a UN coalition operating against him strictly in Ukraine. That would be suicide and he knows it. I can't prove it, of course, but it's my strong belief based on everything I've read about the man.

Putin is old and set in his ways ........ is my new perception.

Not my fight.

I have no desire at all to stop Putin, it is the just end to Zelenskyy corruption that Putin and Zelenskyy clash, and destroy each other.

Let's hope those American Elites and Politicians who tied themselves to Zelenskyy or Putin, also die, or at least suffer, in the process.

Good ridance to bad rubbish.

Did you hear me Hillary? (and supporters)

Well.... Bye!

-

By the UN growing some balls and doing what it was designed to do.

First, Russia should be removed from the Security Council.

Then, every member nation of the UN should have troops and equipment on the ground in Ukraine, in overwhelming numbers. These forces would seek out & destroy every last Russian killing machine they can find. But no operations whatsoever on Russian soil.

Putin would probably use nukes to defend the Russian homeland, but I don't think he would use them against a UN coalition operating against him strictly in Ukraine. That would be suicide and he knows it. I can't prove it, of course, but it's my strong belief based on everything I've read about the man.

The odds of that happening are literally less likely than the odds of you flying to Mars by flapping your arms really, really hard.

The odds of that happening are literally less likely than the odds of you flying to Mars by flapping your arms really, really hard.
Yep. We'll all be in the vicinity of Mars in a few billion years when the sun goes red giant, and will still be waiting for the UN to do something useful.

I guess during the months of buildup of Russian forces along the border, the good guys should have realized the bad guys (such as the monster's foreign minister) were lying when they denied any invasion was planned.
That's the same time Biden was warning of an imminent invasion and you guys were saying he was wagging the dog.

Who's trying to wag the dog now?

A No Fly Zone established with permission to bomb Russian targets.

If that were allowed, this thing would be over in a couple days. Russian troops would be sent back home in disgrace and Ukraine could begin to rebuild.

If that were allowed, this thing would be over in a couple days. Russian troops would be sent back home in disgrace and Ukraine could begin to rebuild.

Or we could be in World War Three in three minutes and for three years. It could end with the BIG Bangs theory of mutually assured stupidity and/or Earth's human life-supporting ecosystems could collapse enough to make most or all survivors experience a post apocalyptic nightmare, IF anyone were to survive. We could quite possibly turn Earth into another uninhabitable planet.

By eliminating nuclear weapons, and reforming the UN so that it could have the word condemn criminal wars started and collectively use force to defend those attacked - whether that means Putin attacking Ukraine or Bush attacking Iraq. Admittedly, that still leaves hard questions about how to remove the problem of brutal dictatorships like Saddam's or that in China.

But while it doesn't fix tyranny, it would help with the threat of nuclear war and invasions. However, the chances of these changes seem low, and the price innocent will pay for our not doing so it being paid by the people being killed in Ukraine.

On a more practical note, the way we're doing it is by providing massive aid to Ukraine and sanctions on Putin, while quietly creating massive pressure for the Russian leadership to remove Putin from power, recognizing that he's the cause of this.

It's sloppy but going better than we have any right to expect, and it's hard to see how to do much better while preventing nuclear war.
And which century would you be waiting for to employ this method of curtailing Putin?

Nope, your plan would leave Ukraine would be left a radioactive wasteland as the Third World War erupted around it.

There’s no “rebuilding” from that.

Nope, your plan would leave Ukraine would be left a radioactive wasteland as the Third World War erupted around it.

There’s no “rebuilding” from that.
Putzin wouldn't use nukes, because that'd be the end of him and Russia. His nuclear dick-waving is a bluff. Plain and simple.

Putzin wouldn't use nukes, because that'd be the end of him and Russia. His nuclear dick-waving is a bluff. Plain and simple.

Anyone who assumes that the Russians would just sit back and let us bomb them without retaliating is laughably foolish.

That’s what we assumed in 1962 too. Guess what? If it wasn’t for one Russian submariner keeping a cool head a good chunk of the US Navy would have vanished in a mushroom cloud.

Back
Top Bottom