• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How does Trump still have support after praising Putin?

One thing I've realized about Trump is that he has no moral character. He is completely immoral.

Yes, that's part of his being called a sociopath, which is why he has utterly no concern about 'innocent people' he has supported being oppressed and killed, like his telling China he was fine with their treatment of Uyghurs, and now Ukraine. That is a reason he should never be given power and a role to protect people.

Except in the larger context of the matter, it is clear Trump adores authoritarian-types like Putin. He wishes he was Putin.
Nah, that isn't it. I believe that Putin was unsure of Donald Trump due to Trump being very different than any prior President. I believe both men shared a certain pragmatism.... along the lines of "it's not personal, it's business". Like in the Godfather movie.

This is where the Trump cult bends over backward to reinterpret something horrible Trump said.

Calling Putin genius and savvy is not congratulating? If someone said Osama Bin Laden was a genius for his attack on the world trade center and never condemned him, you would find that acceptable? That's outrageous. Don't you see this is cult thinking?

In that statement, Trump said, "We could use that on our southern border." Is that Trump criticizing Putin? Where in that statement does Trump do what every other world leader has done--condemn this naked act of aggression?

Putin is trying to reassemble the Soviet Union. He is a former KGB agent. Why no condemnation?
Actually, I have read that Putin has used these statements of Trump to tell the Russians that Trump supports him, giving him leverage with those who might otherwise think (probably would never say it, tho') that a war with Ukraine is unwise.

Acknowledging your enemies strengths is not praise but necessary to keep them in check.

If I call you a genius that's praise. He didn't say Putin is an evil genius. In fact, he never says Putin is evil and he never condemns Putins' actions. He even wishes we could do the same on our southern border.

Imagine if someone said Osama Bin Laden was a savvy genius for destroying the WTC? That's not how you respond when someone commits a horrible crime. You denounce the act, you don't praise the cleverness of the act. No American said, "Wow, that Pearl Harbor sneak attack was brilliant." No, that would be crazy. FDR said it was an act "that would live on infamy."

Where is Trump's condemnation? Stop gaslighting. Trump admires Putin and in all these years he has never condemned him. That's why it's easy to suspect Putin has something over him. Trump condemns everyone including all our allies yet he never condemns Putin but instead praises him.

You need to accept the reality that Trump loves Putin. He wishes he could rule America like Putin does Russia. That's reality.

The same could be said for Hitler and Stalin. they were genius in their ability to take total control of not only their nations, but other nations too. Stalin was genius to sign a non aggression pact with Hitler, knowing FULL WELL that Hitler eventually planned to invade the USSR at some point, but Stalin bought some time for his nation to at least begin to prepare. Me saying that does mean I am a fan of Stalin, or a fan of Hitler, or a fan of Ho Chi Mihn who was also a genius. Trump was only pointing out how Putin has played his card well.

Please stop the BS. YOu said genius "in their ability to...." Then you said, "Stalin was a genius to sign a nonaggression pact." You would never go on TV and just say, "Hitler was a genius." And surely somewhere you would condemn Hitler and Stalin as evil. Trump never does that. You have to be completely delusional if you deny that Trump is praising Putin.

There was just too much BS and insane excuses to answer everything in your post. Trump openly asked for Putin to be readmitted to the G8 after he invaded Crimea. So please just stop it. Stop it.

Please stop the BS. YOu said genius "in their ability to...." Then you said, "Stalin was a genius to sign a nonaggression pact." You would never go on TV and just say, "Hitler was a genius." And surely somewhere you would condemn Hitler and Stalin as evil.
They were evil geniuses (especially Stalin) where they not?

Trump never does that. You have to be completely delusional if you deny that Trump is praising Putin.

No, that isn't what Trump is about. He is about calling them like he sees them. Trump called many of our allies stupid, when they did stupid things. It wasn't that the didn't like them, it was that he was trying to warn them---to help them.

For anyone who can't look at Putin and not see that he is good at fighting for the interests of his own country FIRST, and not admire some of that, and wish our leaders were more nationalistic, is only because you on the left see nationalism as only a bad thing. You are happier to see western nations dismantle our economies to save frogs and lizards, than server our people's best interests. Putin serves RUSSIA FIRST, and that is fine. Doesn't mean I have to agree with Putin, but he does do what he feels his nation needs.

Liberals here get angry when Americans look out for our own interests first, because liberals are globalists.

There was just too much BS and insane excuses to answer everything in your post. Trump openly asked for Putin to be readmitted to the G8 after he invaded Crimea. So please just stop it. Stop it.

So, what is your solution, a hot war with Russia over the Ukraine? Or maybe another cold war with Russia? I'm sure Boeing, Northrup, and Lookheed investors will all be happy to hear that?

Trump was true to his word when he said he was not about putting America into endless wars, and would rather do BUSINESS with our foes rather than fight with them. What is wrong with that?

Democrats almost always are the ones who get us into wars. Well, other than GW Bush, but he was a globalist swamp monkey too.

Nah, that isn't it. I believe that Putin was unsure of Donald Trump due to Trump being very different than any prior President. I believe both men shared a certain pragmatism.... along the lines of "it's not personal, it's business". Like in the Godfather movie.

Being the narcissist that he is, it is impossible for Trump to not take things personally. That is why he won't stfu about the so-called 'rigged' election despite literally no evidence (and remember, he was calling the first election 'rigged' before the votes were in because he thought he was going to lose).

And Trump just doubled down on the Putin praise:

Never a word of condemnation. You'd think that would come up at some point. "Yeah, the guy is a genius but..."

Younger generations are more progressive.
Indeed. Which is why my overall attitude is one of pessimism. OTOH, conservatives, at least on certain matters, are becoming more aware of the true state of things. Ten years ago nearly every American conservative reflexively sided with USG against whatever enemy it was opposing on a given day; now many are quite skeptical.
Your way of thinking is in its death throes. Much like how the radical Muslims have violently opposed democracy and women's rights, you ultra-nationalists are seeing a more and more global-minded world. You all can keep throwing your hissy fits, but ultimately you will lose.
Ultimately, reality always triumphs over fantasy, so liberalism will eventually be doomed. It is true, unfortunately, that our civilization will likely go down with it.

The entire free world and all our allies are vociferously denouncing Putin's invasion. Not a single word denouncing Putin from Trump. Trump calls Putin smart, savvy, and genius but not a single negative adjective like tyrant, despot, or evil.

As Americans, surely we're united in our belief in freedom and democracy over Putin's authoritarian state. Opposition leaders are murdered or imprisoned in Putin's Russia. Putin is trying to reassemble the Soviet Union. The Soviet F-in Union and Trump is praising the former KGB agent.

I'm baffled that this man still has support.
Here's your answer:

The entire free world and all our allies are vociferously denouncing Putin's invasion. Not a single word denouncing Putin from Trump. Trump calls Putin smart, savvy, and genius but not a single negative adjective like tyrant, despot, or evil.

As Americans, surely we're united in our belief in freedom and democracy over Putin's authoritarian state. Opposition leaders are murdered or imprisoned in Putin's Russia. Putin is trying to reassemble the Soviet Union. The Soviet F-in Union and Trump is praising the former KGB agent.

I'm baffled that this man still has support.

He was our president for 4 years. Don't you realize he says things he doesn't always mean?

Yes, that's part of his being called a sociopath, which is why he has utterly no concern about 'innocent people' he has supported being oppressed and killed, like his telling China he was fine with their treatment of Uyghurs, and now Ukraine. That is a reason he should never be given power and a role to protect people.

Serious question. Do you hate Putin more or Trump?

No American said, "Wow, that Pearl Harbor sneak attack was brilliant." No, that would be crazy. FDR said it was an act "that would live on infamy."
No one said that because the attack was completely idiotic. It was FDR who was the evil genius there, not the Japanese.

No one said that because the attack was completely idiotic. It was FDR who was the evil genius there, not the Japanese.

The liberals and necons like John Bolton are out in full force on the media pushing for war in America.

I watched some garbage yesterday of a military expert saying the battle for democracy has begun for the United States.

Ultimately, reality always triumphs over fantasy, so liberalism will eventually be doomed. It is true, unfortunately, that our civilization will likely go down with it.

That was exactly the thinking of everyone from the monarchists to the fascists. They have all more-or-less died off. Meanwhile, democracy and liberty continues to expand and civilization has only grown stronger because democracies almost never go to war with each other.

The liberals and necons like John Bolton are out in full force on the media pushing for war in America.

I watched some garbage yesterday of a military expert saying the battle for democracy has begun for the United States.
TBF, they're not entirely off their rocker. "Democracy", in newspeak, means liberal internationalism. The invasion of Ukraine is certainly a blow to this system, and it's probably true that a more hawkish approach could preserve the system for longer.

That was exactly the thinking of everyone from the monarchists to the fascists.
Go ahead and cite your source material here.
. . .democracies almost never go to war with each other.
I'm sure that's what your middle school teacher told you.

They were evil geniuses (especially Stalin) where they not?

Stop the BS. He didn't call Putin an "evil genius." He called him a genius. I don't understand why you're so desperate to twist reality. This is not the first time that Trump has praised Putin or defended him or advocated for him.

"I'm gonna take a look at it," Trump told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos in an interview on "This Week" Sunday. "But you know, the people of Crimea, from what I've heard, would rather be with Russia than where they were. And you have to look at that, also."

Stop the BS. He didn't call Putin an "evil genius." He called him a genius. I don't understand why you're so desperate to twist reality. This is not the first time that Trump has praised Putin or defended him or advocated for him.

There are a lot of bad people that are geniuses. This is just more anti-Trump fodder.

He was our president for 4 years. Don't you realize he says things he doesn't always mean?

He has repeatedly made statements supporting Putin and has never spoken out against him. How many times does he have to repeat something before you accept that he means it?

Go ahead and cite your source material here.

It was always the go-to argument of right-wingers: liberalism will destroy civilization as we know it! You even just said it. Do you deny this?
I'm sure that's what your middle school teacher told you.

Once again, you've got no counterargument. Democracies don't typically go to war with each other because they aren't led by egomaniacal dictators. Democracies have checks in place to ensure they are less likely to jump into war.

There are a lot of bad people that are geniuses. This is just more anti-Trump fodder.

Trump is clearly enamored with Putin. I'm sure he wishes he got big beautiful letters from him like he does from Kim, but Putin looks down on Trump as a pawn.

Nobody goes around saying that Hitler was a genius or Stalin was a genius. Nobody says that Osama Bin Laden was a genius. That's because that would be praising an evil person. And even if they said someone evil was highly intelligent they would qualify it immediately by saying this person was evil.

You're talking total nonsense. This is the definition of gaslighting. Please accept reality. Trump has always praised Putin. He deeply admirers him because he has no morality or love for democracy and American ideals. It's sad to see the Republican Party become an anti-American party. It's now a Christian fundamentalist nationalist authoritarian party.

Here's your answer:

That's great. It perfectly explains their love for Putin.

They basically care more about the culture war regarding gays and Muslims than they do about American ideals. They don't really care about American values. They're just Christian fundamentalist nationalists. They're American's version of the Taliban.

You're talking total nonsense. This is the definition of gaslighting. Please accept reality. Trump has always praised Putin. He deeply admirers him because he has no morality or love for democracy and American ideals.

On top of that, Trump has no qualms with insulting people. In fact, he absolutely loves insulting people. And yet, he's never insulted Putin. Curious. :unsure:

On top of that, Trump has no qualms with insulting people. In fact, he absolutely loves insulting people. And yet, he's never insulted Putin. Curious. :unsure:

Insulting people will not help with anything. Have you seen some of the posts from @ukraine on twitter?

The official twitter account for Ukraine posting memes. What a time we live in.

Back
Top Bottom