• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How does the old neighborhood hardware store survive?

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think I may have solved [part of] the mystery.

I can ride my bike there and buy a small-dollar item or three, sometimes, instead of supporting the big box hardware stores. Three or more guys run the retail operation, with one of them maybe being an owner or manager. I don't see how there's enough sales traffic to generate enough revenue to pay these guys, much less for the owner to end up turning a profit.

I thought, "Maybe their rent is dirt cheap because they've been there so long?" Then it dawned on me. They probably own at least the little corner lot they and the liquor store are on. If that's what's going on, the little liquor store is where the sales and rent revenues are coming from. Take into account property value increases- hmm. And maybe there are more little businesses on that lot. Hmm.

Even if that actually is the case, I still wonder why the hardware store stays open.

Last edited:
I think I may have solved the mystery.

I can ride my bike there and buy a small-dollar item or three, sometimes, instead of supporting the big box hardware stores. Three or more guys run the retail operation, with one of them maybe being an owner or manager. I don't see how there's enough sales traffic to generate enough revenue to pay these guys, much less for the owner to end up turning a profit.

I thought, "Maybe their rent is dirt cheap because they've been there so long?" Then it dawned on me. They probably own at least the little corner lot they and the liquor store are on. If that's what's going on, the little liquor store is where the sales and rent revenues are coming from. Take into account property value increases- hmm. And maybe there are more little businesses on that lot. Hmm.

Even if that actually is the case, I still wonder why the hardware store stays open.

So which is it?

I think I may have solved the mystery.

I'd guess they try to win municipal supply contracts, court local contractors, etc.

It may not be huge money, but I bet it's relatively steady over the long term.

So which is it?

Ohhh, that opens up new possibilities. Maybe it's a front for Russian oligarchs, and the troll farm is in the back. Maybe I can get a good gig there!

I'd guess they try to win municipal supply contracts, court local contractors, etc.

It may not be huge money, but I bet it's relatively steady over the long term.

That could be, but I never see many people in there and I don't see any delivery vehicles (could be in the back lot).

I haven't seen a family-owned hardware store for a decade at least. We have Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace. Ace takes the place of the old private hardware stores. I like Ace.

Yes, it never seems busy. Always more people at Home Depot. However, Home Depot occupies probably ten times as much square footage as Ace. So, there's the answer. It's an illusion.

Customer service?
Knowledge of their products?
Attention to detail and taking the time to know their customers?

I shop all the time at the local True Value instead of going to the Big Box Home Depot or Lowes.
I shop at the local flooring store instead of going to the Big Box Store.
I shop at the local bakery vs. going to the large supermarket
I shop at the local butcher vs. going to the large supermarket.
I shop at the local feed store vs. the large big box pet store
In season, I shop at the local farm stands and farms vs. going to the large supermarket

I prefer shopping at small, local businesses than large, chain retail stores. I prefer supporting small, locally owned businesses than large, retail big box stores.

These places exist because they don't have to turn as much a profit because they are small, locally owned businesses vs. large, commercially owned big box stores.

this would vary everywhere but mine has no problem staying open as far as i know

the owner works there, his daughter and at least 3 other people one being a driver.

now with that said there used to be like 3 hardware stores and not theres only one but the one does just fine and is always busy they dont need anything else.
large orders, contracts and people not wanting to track through or too lowes/home depot etc is what keeps them going 🤷‍♂️

We live in a rural community, we have one neighborhood hardware store. We are also in a building boom. The local builders can slip over and get items that they didn’t get when they drove out for the job. The store has transformed in the thirty years we have lived here. First it was named after the family that owned it, then a local guy who had one other store bought it and put his name on it. A few years later he was accepted into the TRUE VALUE family. Late last year, he went with ACE and he stuck around long enough for the transition.

Back
Top Bottom