• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How does SSM effect Opposite-Sex Marriage?

Yes. That is what I mean when I say "good". In my case, I'm saying that divorce and single parenthood are "bad" because they cause things I don't like, like juvenile delinquency, drug abuse, and teenage pregnancy.

Be careful. Just because something is correlated does not necessarily mean it is the cause.

So are you saying that they're not the same thing? Or are you saying that marriage now isn't the same thing as traditional marriage?

Because if the marriage we have now isn't traditional marriage, I'm okay with that. Marriage isn't broken. People just aren't taking it seriously enough.

No. Marriage has changed quite dramatically. It is not coming back. I already wrote an extensive post on this topic.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-and-sexuality/82426-meaning-marriage-has-changed.html

Children are more important than men and women combined because they develop into men and women and what hurts them impairs their development. Adults can suck it up; children get broken.

More succinctly, I would say that men and women exist to prepare the next generation. That is the cycle.

Not really. The homophobic religious folk could still discriminate against homosexuals just as much as they do now. Nobody's going to throw Phelps in jail or just put a bullet in him. Nobody's going to force churches to "serve" homosexuals-- it's not going to affect them at all. The people they're discriminating against are already going to different churches anyway.

You aren't thinking broadly enough. Once same sex marriage is legal, there is no legitimate reason to keep it from being taught in public schools. I thought you cared about the children?

Yes. And as much as I like to sound the horn for moral equivalence, some structures don't work. They are unstable and they lead to collapse. Disintegrating family values is something that kills civilizations.

Name one civilization that has died directly as a result of "disintegrating family values"? The individuation of our culture is indeed a dangerous thing if it is left unchecked but it is the basis of a pioneering culture. Family values are changing, they are not eroding.

And then there's people who won't admit to objective, verifiable facts because they're uncomfortable.

I'm sure there are, but that doesn't change the point.

Absolutely agree with you. Marriage is a vital social institution and everyone should be heavily encouraged to participate.

Including same sex couples. ;)

Back
Top Bottom