• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How does racial respect some about?

Check off the true boxes:

• Indians won't be accepted until the Redskins and Chiefs change their names and logos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Irish won't be accepted until the term "paddy wagon" and the Fighting Irish logo goes away

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rickeroo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I've always been amazed by how the press thinks racial acceptance and tolerance is supposed to work.

Typo in the title, my apologies.

I've always been amazed by how the press thinks racial acceptance and tolerance is supposed to work. Typo in the title, my apologies.

How do you believe racial acceptance and tolerance is supposed to work?

How does racial respect some about?

do they speak English in What?

My bulldog is offended by sports teams using him in just an offensive way.

I've always been amazed by how the press thinks racial acceptance and tolerance is supposed to work.

Racial respect comes about through racial integration. Racial intolerance comes about through racial isolation.

How do you believe racial acceptance and tolerance is supposed to work?

One of the ways it doesn't work is by the superficial. The Irish are fully integrated in American society despite the continued existence of the term paddy wagon. Getting rid of that term won't improve the fortunes of the Irish - in fact the opposite will occur. Calls for its removal make the Irish look victimized and 'lesser'. The Irish don't want that.

I've always been amazed that some folks haven't a clue. They must live in a Trumpian bubble-world.

How is the press saying racial acceptance and tolerance is supposed to work? imo, the press keeps the tension going between races. ex. instead of reporting a law enforcement officer shot a suspect the press goes to great lengths to say a "white" officer shot a "black/Hispanic/etc" suspect.

One of the ways it doesn't work is by the superficial. The Irish are fully integrated in American society despite the continued existence of the term paddy wagon. Getting rid of that term won't improve the fortunes of the Irish - in fact the opposite will occur. Calls for its removal make the Irish look victimized and 'lesser'. The Irish don't want that.

I haven’t heard or saw in print the term paddy wagon for a long long time. So long I couldn’t begin to take a guess.

How is the press saying racial acceptance and tolerance is supposed to work? imo, the press keeps the tension going between races. ex. instead of reporting a law enforcement officer shot a suspect the press goes to great lengths to say a "white" officer shot a "black/Hispanic/etc" suspect.

You're correct - mentioning the races of people in the press fosters segregation and tribalism. However, this thread is about what we're supposed to do, what the press tells us to do, in order to make amends. Logos, statues and words top the list, just take a look here:

https://www.debatepolitics.com/poll...ural-stone-mountain-georgia-destroyed-12.html

Here's my concept. All the confederate statues could be taken down tomorrow. All racially-charged words could be eliminated from everyone's vocabulary tomorrow. Everyone who dressed in blackface 40 years ago could resign and be cast in eternal shame tomorrow. The press could report on those events 24/7 for the next 10 years.

One thing that doesn't change is my respect and expectations for certain races. How many more statues need to be taken down before I move my family to Baltimore tomorrow? Will 100 do it? What if every single one of them was taken down?

Racial respect is not generated by the removal of statues or other PC nonsense - it is earned.

Any ethnicity is automatically respected, in my opinion, when they are perceived to be good citizens.

It has nothing to do with the names of sports teams.

As an elderly person, I remember that one certain ethnicity used to be referred as the "Model Minority." Although members of that minority were subject to the racial discrimination then widespread in American society at that time, they earned the respect of most Americans.

Only an end to hatred worldwide will bring an end to racism...

"Doing X doesn't end all racism, so you shouldn't do X."

Compelling.

Also I like the low-key "It's black peoples' fault that racism against black people exists."

A good start would be the widespread teaching of post DNA genetics - which shows, quite conclusively, that 'races' do not exist. But surely even the scientifically illiterate cannot suppose the Irish to be a 'race'?

I'd have chosen "neither" from the poll's answer options had the qualifying sentence that follows "neither" not been present.

Racially/ethnically associated symbols, logos, monikers and sobriquets always have something to do with, in some way speak to the nature and extent of respect one has for the race/ethnic group whom the imagery/diction pertains. Sometimes it has much to do with that nature/extent; sometimes it has little to do with that nature/extent, and, of course, sometimes the nature and extent of correlation falls somewhere between a little and a lot.

What determines whether an image/utterance conveys a lot or a little about the nature and extent of respect one or a group has for the referred-to race/ethnicity? As with so much else, context.

I make a mean spaghetti sauce thanks to the Italian influences in my NY area. I love bagels with lox, cream cheese, red onion and tomato thanks to the Jewish influences in my NY area. I love 'boudan' and 'gorton' thanks to my French Canadian heritage. My favorite Chinese food is General Tsao's Chicken thanks to the Asian influences in my NY area. I love Irish soda bread that's baked locally around St. Patrick's day thanks to the Irish influences in my NY area. I absolutely love homemade pierogi that I can find at a local Polish Deli thanks to the Polish influences in my NY area. I hate admitting this but I love Taco Bell and I know it's like knock-off Mexican food, but I like it thanks to the influences in my NY area.

My point is, whether or not we realize it, all of us encounter influences in various ways thanks to other cultures. Each culture that arrived at our shores brought with them their ways of cooking, their ways of dressing, their expressions, their faiths, etc. These were tremendous contributions to a country that really didn't have any of its own culture to begin with. How fortunate we are to be so rich culturally and yet we're at odds about it, rather than embracing it. Politicians don't make a country great, Americans make America great. All of us. If nothing else, other cultures deserve our respect because they have given us our America.

If racism ends will people simply find another way to establish a hierarchy? That's what Animal Farm seems to suggest. Is there a natural human need to divide things (and people) into superior/inferior? Will it always be that some are more equal than others?

Back
Top Bottom