• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How does one run for State Senate, or as a Representative?

LizardofOz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
My granddaddy (R.I.P.) was heavily involved in politics. Being a Republican in SC, he went quail hunting with the likes of Strom Thurmond and at least twice in his life ran for state senate. He had to of called into the local AM radio stations at least once a week and wrote editorials for the state newspaper and he was just a poor ole' chicken farmer. Unfortunately I never got the chance to ask him how he did the whole running bit because he passed away back in 2005.

Just like my grandfather, I inherited his obsession with politics. I currently would consider myself a conservative/center Dem (or Blue Dog I guess) but I suppose that is besides the point. When I get older, how would I go about representing my counties or regions, or even become a Representative? Is there something they all have in common? Should I take up political science in school? Do I need to get a petition going to even get considered? The entire process is just something that I suppose goes past me and was just curious if anyone could help with this.

My granddaddy (R.I.P.) was heavily involved in politics. Being a Republican in SC, he went quail hunting with the likes of Strom Thurmond and at least twice in his life ran for state senate. He had to of called into the local AM radio stations at least once a week and wrote editorials for the state newspaper and he was just a poor ole' chicken farmer. Unfortunately I never got the chance to ask him how he did the whole running bit because he passed away back in 2005.

Just like my grandfather, I inherited his obsession with politics. I currently would consider myself a conservative/center Dem (or Blue Dog I guess) but I suppose that is besides the point. When I get older, how would I go about representing my counties or regions, or even become a Representative? Is there something they all have in common? Should I take up political science in school? Do I need to get a petition going to even get considered? The entire process is just something that I suppose goes past me and was just curious if anyone could help with this.

You dont need Poly Scie

But you will need connections and plenty of them. I would suggest working for (volunteering for) a current politicians campaign a few times to develop the connections required both in Politics and business that will be required to gain the support of the "elites". That support is in most cases essential to get elected

The answer is have millions of dollars.

That doesn't explain how my grandfather ran for state senate.

Makes enough sense I suppose.

It is the connections that are important

Many are born with them, other gain them from University, some gain them from becoming important business men in their area, other have to work at getting them.

Going to Uni just to join one of the higher status frat houses will provide some good conncections for the future (not the party frats).

That doesn't explain how my grandfather ran for state senate.

The running part is easy, get a few signatures, pony up the cash and you are a candidate, being a serious candidate requires hard work and alot of money

He came within 2% of getting elected both times, he was even on the local news a bunch! Although he probably could have done a little better with more money he was part of a dying breed of Republicans though that you don't see nowadays...

Go door-to-door as much as you can, have great lit, do well at the debates and try to get people to come to them, and slate with other popular candidates. Money, connections, and endorsements also don't hurt.

My Maternal Grandfather whom ( I never met) stood as a representative for his district.
He was not elected yet went on to become the local Town drunk.
Motto for those who seek elective office, if at first you do not succeed, do not turn to drink.

Well I was told stories about my grandfather running; apparently he never tried to win, he just promised to do things that the other candidates would come back and say they would do too. He was all about manipulating politics into actually doing what was right.

You need a platform (a set of goals) and know your core beliefs. You need to come to grips with any skeletons in your closet. Yes, funding is important. Isn't there an election board in every state to handle this?

Back
Top Bottom