• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How does one make a gif?

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Alright so I want to learn how to make a gif. I have the basic concept: make images frame by frame and put them in an animator.

For image creation I have the basic generic paint shop that came with Windowes7 Starter.

For animating I have a free version of http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Here's a related Google search: Google

My specific question at this time is: how do I create stock images which retain their shape/silhouette? Smiler to how a CAD program will allow you to make a toilet and then import it from a list of blocks into any drawing. I would like to be able to import just the image itself, however every time I've tried so far the image saves as a whole page. For example, if I draw a pyramid, when I go to import that pyramid into another picture, the whole page is pasted, not the pyramid and the pyramid only.

I need to be able to overlap images.

Links to free photo shops or other smiler programs which can do this are appreciated.

Last edited:
If you're using the generic Paint program that came with Windows 7, there's a semi-workaround. If you expand out the size of your canvas, you can paste the 'whole image' onto the newly-revealed section. Then use the 'select --> free-form selection' tool to just select the part of the pasted image that you want, and drag it into the main image. Shrink the canvas back to it's original size, and you're sorted.

There may be a better way, but it doesn't spring to mind. Paint doesn't deal with transparency.

Screw that, a better solution presented itself (all credit to my girlfriend).

For this, you'll need two paint windows open at once. Well, not really; it just makes life easier. In your first window, you need the source picture - the pyramid, or whatever it may be. In the second window, you need the destination picture - whatever picture you want to put the pyramid into.

Firstly, you need to make sure that the "Color two" selection in both windows is the same colour. It doesn't matter what colour this is, but it has to be the same in both windows. Secondly - in the second (destination) window, you need to select the 'select --> transparent selection' option.

Now, use the 'select --> freeform selection' tool in the first window to select your pyramid/whatever. Then just copy that selection (ctrl-C), and paste (ctrl-V) it into the second window. Voila! If all goes well, you should have a movable copy of the pyramid - not background, just what you've selected.

If you're using the generic Paint program that came with Windows 7, there's a semi-workaround. If you expand out the size of your canvas, you can paste the 'whole image' onto the newly-revealed section. Then use the 'select --> free-form selection' tool to just select the part of the pasted image that you want, and drag it into the main image. Shrink the canvas back to it's original size, and you're sorted.

There may be a better way, but it doesn't spring to mind. Paint doesn't deal with transparency.

Screw that, a better solution presented itself (all credit to my girlfriend).

For this, you'll need two paint windows open at once. Well, not really; it just makes life easier. In your first window, you need the source picture - the pyramid, or whatever it may be. In the second window, you need the destination picture - whatever picture you want to put the pyramid into.

Firstly, you need to make sure that the "Color two" selection in both windows is the same colour. It doesn't matter what colour this is, but it has to be the same in both windows. Secondly - in the second (destination) window, you need to select the 'select --> transparent selection' option.

Now, use the 'select --> freeform selection' tool in the first window to select your pyramid/whatever. Then just copy that selection (ctrl-C), and paste (ctrl-V) it into the second window. Voila! If all goes well, you should have a movable copy of the pyramid - not background, just what you've selected.

Is there a way to make a stock image with free-form borders so that I don't have to use 'select --> freeform selection' to create each frame?

Last edited:
Is there a way to make a stock image with free-form borders so that I don't have to use 'select --> freeform selection' to create each frame?
Kinda. For this trick, you'll need a fresh Paint window. Copy/paste your stock image (using the freeform selection tool) into the new window, and save it as something - the whole thing should consist of just your image (pyramid?) on a plain background - white is easiest.

Then open up the picture you want to put your image into. Make sure the 'transparency' selection is turned on, as before - and make sure that 'color 2' is set to white (or whatever the background colour of the stock image is). Then go back to your stock image - you should be able to ctrl-A, ctrl-C (select all, copy) it and then ctrl-V (paste) it into the destination picture, just as before. Should save you some time, rather than having to re-trace the same freeform selection over and over.

Kinda. For this trick, you'll need a fresh Paint window. Copy/paste your stock image (using the freeform selection tool) into the new window, and save it as something - the whole thing should consist of just your image (pyramid?) on a plain background - white is easiest.

Then open up the picture you want to put your image into. Make sure the 'transparency' selection is turned on, as before - and make sure that 'color 2' is set to white (or whatever the background colour of the stock image is). Then go back to your stock image - you should be able to ctrl-A, ctrl-C (select all, copy) it and then ctrl-V (paste) it into the destination picture, just as before. Should save you some time, rather than having to re-trace the same freeform selection over and over.

Thanks for that, I give it a go.

I was ready to open 39 paint windows so that I could add the pic element with only one use of the free-form select :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom