• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Does Impeachment Work?

Jack2aTee

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Wiki states that 2/3's of the senate is needed to vote impeachment. So why in Trump's impeachment trial were the Democrats trying to get just 4 senators to flip--Collins, Murkowsky and one other one as I recall? 🤔

Wiki states that 2/3's of the senate is needed to vote impeachment. So why in Trump's impeachment trial were the Democrats trying to get just 4 senators to flip--Collins, Murkowsky and one other one as I recall? 🤔
They didn't want the "impeachment" to fail without some republican votes so they could claim it wasn't partisan. They knew they never had a chance to remove Trump.

Romney. They wanted them to flip on witnesses and evidence at the trial so they could drag the circus out another 3 weeks while COVOD spread across the land.

Romney. They wanted them to flip on witnesses and evidence at the trial so they could drag the circus out another 3 weeks while COVOD spread across the land.

Ohh, okay. So it was a majority needed to introduce more evidence?

They didn't want the "impeachment" to fail without some republican votes so they could claim it wasn't partisan. They knew they never had a chance to remove Trump.

Nothing but theatrics.

It only takes a Majority to bring the matter to trial, but two-thirds would need to convict.

I think the Republicans did the right thing by sticking together, if they had broken ranks in the end they would have been finished and can you imagine a trial during the pandemic?

Now they have SCOTUS because Democrats did not say, "Let us get one and then we'll change the rules."

Ohh, okay. So it was a majority needed to introduce more evidence?

Yes. The dems had 47 and picked up collins and romney to get to 49. They were hoping to get Lamar Alexander and Murkowski to get to 51 but didn't get either.

Yes. The dems had 47 and picked up collins and romney to get to 49. They were hoping to get Lamar Alexander and Murkowski to get to 51 but didn't get either.

Got it. Thanks very much for clearing up my confusion. I could find that on the Internet. 😖

That was about introducing new testimony and evidence; it wasn't about getting enough R's to come over to convict and remove.

Trump has and will always be impeached, he was not convicted and removed by the senate.

The democrats wanted to hear actual witnesses. They needed four Republicans to get 61 votes to even hear witnesses.

So even if the Dems win the Senate they will still not have enough votes to impeach. Seems if Trump wins he's pretty safe from being removed by a 2nd impeachment.

Back
Top Bottom