• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How does Europe and the UK fight this wave of extremism?[W:95]

Higgins86

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This thread is for discussion purposes only ( obviously).

How does Europe/the UK overcome this new threat to our society? The attacks are becoming more frequent, the political atmosphere is becoming more divided and the resentment on all sides grows. What can be done in order to stop this spreading more?

- Do the authorities need to take a leaf out of the Israeli’s book and engage in more racial profiling?
- Do we need to tighten our security at all major gatherings now?
- Should be increase our policing in Muslims areas?
- Do we give our intelligence agencies more power to raid mosques, Muslim areas etc?
- Do we increase our presence in Syria?
- Do we limit immigration?
On the Flipside

- Do we scale back policing in Muslims areas? Is this increased presence causing more issues within these communities?
- Do are governments need to do more to provide jobs, better housing in the inner cities and therefore stopping these “ghettos” from springing up.
- Do we need to work more closely with Muslim leaders to find out what is causing these issues?

What do you think? Do you have any thoughts on what I have posted or any other suggestions? What action do you think the French, Belgium etc governments should be taking?

How does Europe/the UK overcome this new threat to our society? The attacks are becoming more frequent, the political atmosphere is becoming more divided and the resentment on all sides grows. What can be done in order to stop this spreading more?

- Do the authorities need to take a leaf out of the Israeli’s book and engage in more racial profiling?
- Do we give our intelligence agencies more power to raid mosques, Muslim areas etc?
On the Flipside

- Do we scale back policing in Muslims areas? Is this increased presence causing more issues within these communities?
- Do are governments need to do more to provide jobs, better housing in the inner cities and therefore stopping these “ghettos” from springing up.
- Do we need to work more closely with Muslim leaders to find out what is causing these issues?

What do you think? Do you have any thoughts on what I have posted or any other suggestions? What action do you think the French, Belgium etc governments should be taking?

All out war on Radical Islam would be my proposed solution. If you preach hate, we bomb your Mosque---hopefully with you and your crazy followers in it. It's ugly, but it may be that this is our only option.

sorry, at the Moment I am so shocked, I have no answers

All out war on Radical Islam would be my proposed solution. If you preach hate, we bomb your Mosque---hopefully with you and your crazy followers in it. It's ugly, but it may be that this is our only option.

would you give me an example of any case where that helped?

On the Flipside

I don't think your people or our people are mentally or morally ready for such.
At the moment, hope that you can counter with cultural assimilation.

~........................ If you preach hate, we bomb your Mosque---hopefully with you and your crazy followers in it. ...................~
Right.

That would necessitate starting off with nuking Saudi. All of it.

Then the Emirates.

Bit of a stretch on logistics but, hell, with all the hardware acquired at the taxpayer's expense and lying around doing nothing, it's about time it started earning a living.

On the Flipside

First, explain that "this has nothing to do with Islam which is a religion of peace". Second, declare that "Not all Muslims are terrorists". Third, crack down on Islamophobia by increasing the penalties for hate crimes; the definition of hate crime should be widened to include, for example, public drinking or eating by Kufars during the holy month of Ramadan.

sorry, at the Moment I am so shocked, I have no answers

would you give me an example of any case where that helped?

lol...show me anything that helped.

Right.

That would necessitate starting off with nuking Saudi. All of it.

Then the Emirates.

Bit of a stretch on logistics but, hell, with all the hardware acquired at the taxpayer's expense and lying around doing nothing, it's about time it started earning a living.

Saudi's are the ones who spread Wahhabism throughout the region. So, a good nuking might be in order.

I don't know the answer, I wish I did but I don't. I do know that whatever the answer may be, you simply can’t blame and penalise an entire group for the actions of extremists. I'll never be ok with that, the same as I would never be ok with that happening to any other group. I'll have no part in perpetuating bigotry and intolerance towards all Muslims or anyone else for that matter.

First of all, penalize idiocy.

In the context of which link computer sales and acquisition of connectivity etc. to stringent maturity tests.

Then take it from there, opening fields of opportunity for whole new industries.

Saudi's are the ones who spread Wahhabism throughout the region. So, a good nuking might be in order.

Just to be clear here, are you advocating for the Saudi's to be nuked?

lol...show me anything that helped.

laughing and bombing, no matter if it helpes - you have the best solutions mate

if you were on the edge to become a ****ing terrorist, and you see your comrades bombed, you would surely stop all that thoughts and become a nice guy to the west...

before spreading the Internet with dump bull**** - try thinking

If the EU and the UK will stop their military adventurism in the Middle east, then maybe their Muslim populations will get less pissed off...

If the EU and the UK will stop their military adventurism in the Middle east, then maybe their Muslim populations will get less pissed off...
Thing is, if the current bunch of corrupters of religion run out of reasons for their hatred, they'll just make up new ones.

Belgium isn't particularly involved in Syria/Iraq, nor in Mali but that stopped no one.

The jihadist motivational drive does not spring from rational thought. On the contrary, suppression of rational thinking is a large part of the motivation.

On the Flipside

We all have to win hearts and minds. This is a different threat that is unique to this time. I don't know of any time in history where a minority of people killed people at random to instill fear. There needs to be a media campaign to show the pain and suffering inflicted by these people. Show the families of the victims, pictures of the victims and in some cases pictures and testimony of the families of the terrorists. Show people that these acts are evil and that they are not sainted martyrs. If we can convince people that they are not part of something good and that they are wasting their lives and the lives of good people, maybe we can slow the recruiting and isolate the truly evil.

Then, we have to have a second prong of this attack. An actual ground war to eliminate the asshats that are decapitating innocents. If they are summarily defeated on the field of battle, they'll lose their appeal and that war can be used to unite people for the common cause of defeating them.

But none of this happens if our leaders refuse to identify the problem.

Thing is, if the current bunch of corrupters of religion run out of reasons for their hatred, they'll just make up new ones.

Belgium isn't particularly involved in Syria/Iraq, nor in Mali but that stopped no one.

The jihadist motivational drive does not spring from rational thought. On the contrary, suppression of rational thinking is a large part of the motivation.

Belgium is the HQ of NATO and NATO is heavily involved in overseas military deployments so there is a link there. If Islamists were just mindlessly attacking everyone, they sure do spare a lot of neutral countries for some reason, right?

"To combat these senseless, violent and horrific acts, let's commit genocide!"
Yeah, the last one rightfully described as having made a true effort is far too long ago.

How can people stand the complacency of all these years that prevented us from giving it another go?

Belgium is the HQ of NATO and NATO is heavily involved in overseas military deployments so there is a link there. If Islamists were just mindlessly attacking everyone, they sure do spare a lot of neutral countries for some reason, right?
You mean like Sweden where the perp blew himself up rather than harm any innocent "neutral"?

Belgium hosting NATO is convenient, nothing more.

You mean like Sweden where the perp blew himself up rather than harm any innocent "neutral"?

Belgium hosting NATO is convenient, nothing more.

Sweden has troops in Afghanistan, I would hardly call them neutral. Any other points you wish to make?

I don't know the answer, I wish I did but I don't. I do know that whatever the answer may be, you simply can’t blame and penalise an entire group for the actions of extremists. I'll never be ok with that, the same as I would never be ok with that happening to any other group. I'll have no part in perpetuating bigotry and intolerance towards all Muslims or anyone else for that matter.

You can't blame an entire group but you can't ignore the fact that the threat is coming from one particular group of people. That's not to say you punish every Muslim but in order to try and solve this problem we must start at the source.

On the Flipside

I think we need to look at why the attacks are happening, we (the UK) have troops and action in Syria and in Libya yet even though we have some boots on the ground there has (touch wood) not been anything like what we have seen in France these last few years. Are we doing a better job at finding and stopping potential plots (I believe we are)

I really think the French, Belgians and others should be working with us more closely to find out what our security forces are doing that is working so much better than theirs; we need shared intelligence but we also need to cut out some of the comedy errors where Turkey sends people back and then security (in France) goes to the wrong airport to collect people. I also think we should block more jihadi's returning and this means better screening (europe wide) and information sharing to do this.

You can't blame an entire group but you can't ignore the fact that the threat is coming from one particular group of people. That's not to say you punish every Muslim but in order to try and solve this problem we must start at the source.

I also think demonising all muslims doesn't help, we had a Belgian poster here (now banned) who pointed out that nearly all the bombings and massacres were committed by Sunni extremists. A blanket broad brushing of all muslims as you find on most threads is wrong, but even then we need to find out why sunnis are more likely to be involved in these types of events.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/europ...ls-according-top-eu-off-4.html#post1065265382

Yet these attackers live, work, pay taxes in Western countries and enjoy what comes with that. Extremely Hypocritical don't you think?

I already made them.

Which was proven wrong. So my point stands.

Yet these attackers live, work, pay taxes in Western countries and enjoy what comes with that. Extremely Hypocritical don't you think?
I guess they feel there's a sort of injustice being done with their people. Maybe the EU governments ought to listen to their minorities more.

Back
Top Bottom