• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Does A Lottery Winner Deposit A Huge Multi-Million Dollar Check?

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Mega Million 1.35 billon dollar lottery was won by one person this week The lump sum cash out is 724.6 million. How does one deposit such a huge some and where? FDIC insurance stops at $250,000.

The Mega Million 1.35 billon dollar lottery was won by one person this week The lump sum cash out is 724.6 million. How does one deposit such a huge some and where? FDIC insurance stops at $250,000.
The first thing you do is get your shit together before you come forward with the winning ticket. After that everything is handles with wire transfers.

What you don't do is invest in TSLA...

LOL. They are not depositing it in a savings account.

They don't deposit it. They have a professional who deals with the investment of the money through a trust fund. Hopefully honestly and prudently

LOL. They are not depositing it in a savings account.

You don’t really know what they are going to do with it. Most people want it somewhere safe while they take a pause, hire a financial manager, and figure out their next steps.

Nothing wrong with savings accounts.

You don’t really know what they are going to do with it. Most people want it somewhere safe while they take a pause, hire a financial manager, and figure out their next steps.

No one puts $724 MILLION in a savings account while figuring things out.

You figure that all out first before you take possession of the funds. That is why there is usually months between knowing that there has been a winner and even possibly hearing who that person is.

And they are not going to claim it until that point.
Never said there was. But no one ever has or ever will deposit $700M in a saving account.

Well, after hiring a lawyer/CPA/whatever...

It has to be deposited in a financial institution somewhere. It being a "trust fund" doesn't change that.
Oh course but it's not a personal savings account

It would be kind of cool to use one of those pneumatic tube thingies at the credit union drive-thru just to see the expression on the teller’s face.

No one puts $724 MILLION in a savings account while figuring things out.
Sure they do. Why not?
You figure that all out first before you take possession of the funds. That is why there is usually months between knowing that there has been a winner and even possibly hearing who that person is.
I don't see why the delay in finding out who the winner is has anything to do with what they ultimately choose to do with the funds. I would get the check and figure out the details later.

It has to be deposited in a financial institution somewhere. It being a "trust fund" doesn't change that.

I'm wondering if it might go directly into some type of investment account? Perhaps a money market account, or conservative fund of some sort? Then quickly disbursed into a diversified investment portfolio?

The OP does pose an interesting question.

While I can't answer your question, I will give you kudos for posing one of the more interesting questions I've seen on DP! (y)

I have no idea but I'm pretty sure the financial and tax advisors I hired before I even touched the money would.

I'm wondering if it might go directly into some type of investment account? Perhaps a money market account, or conservative fund of some sort? Then quickly disbursed into a diversified investment portfolio?

The OP does pose an interesting question.
No. There's no reason to do anything "quickly." It can be put into an interest-bearing account until the winner decides what to do.

As to the question in the OP: it's not interesting. It's what banks are for.

Would a check be issued instead of a wire transfer? Once received, the monies can be divided and invested any way the winner (and financial advisors) see fit.

Would a check be issued instead of a wire transfer? Once received, the monies can be divided and invested any way the winner (and financial advisors) see fit.
It's my understanding that they don't do wire transfers, only checks.

And they are not going to claim it until that point.

Never said there was. But no one ever has or ever will deposit $700M in a saving account.
I would just do that. Just for the fun of it, to see jaws dropped and my banker being close to a heart attack.

It is relative easy to spread out such a huge amount of money so it would be insured. One vehicle would be short term CDs. till you find a better way to invest and secure the money. Sit down take a deep breath and let it sink in and continue to live your current livestyle

If they're having problems figuring that out... I'm certainly available for advice. For a fee, of course. :)

I don't play the lottery because I understand math and statistics.

They don't actually receive the money in check form. After the Lottery officials authenticate the ticket, the winner has to sign some stuff and a transfer is made however it's designated. Something similar to how you may have done when signing new hire paperwork to tell them where to send your paycheck.

The people I know that have won usually set up Roth IRAs or other long-term investment accounts.

Back
Top Bottom