• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How does a gender non-binary leftist define traditional genders such as male and female?

ProgressiveCON

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
So, being a ci-gender male, I know how I define male and female. Generally, I define male as someone who is capable of producing sperm (or someone who was once capable of producing sperm and has been unable to do so due to a medical condition), and I would define female as someone who produced eggs.

I am curious, I have tried looking into this question but have not found any answer. How does a gender non-binary person define male and female to exclude themselves from one or both categories?

What is the definition of a male and female to a gender non-binary person?

That being said, I am perfectly fine referring to any person by a pronoun they want me to refer to them as.

Last edited:
So, being a ci-gender male, I know how I define male and female. Generally, I define male as someone who is capable of producing sperm (or someone who was once capable of producing sperm and has been unable to do so due to a medical condition), and I would define female as someone who produced eggs.

I am curious, I have tried looking into this question but have not found any answer. How does a gender non-binary person define male and female to exclude themselves from one or both categories?

What is the definition of a male and female to a gender non-binary person?

That being said, I am perfectly fine referring to any person by a pronoun they want me to refer to them as.

You do understand that different definitions for different people is never going to work.....

As well as letting others decide for you what comes out of your mouth.

You do understand that different definitions for different people is never going to work.....

As well as letting others decide for you what comes out of your mouth.

I'm deciding for myself, that I am willing to let others decide what I refer to them as in pronouns. I am not advocating for a law that states everyone has to do so.

I think you are missing the point. I am not saying everyone should be legally obligated to use correct pronouns, I am saying, that I, as part of my freedom of choice, am willing to call people by the pronouns they wish for me to call them.

"As well as letting others decide for you what comes out of your mouth" can work just fine. If person A approaches me and asks me to call person A an "they or them or their", I have the freedom to say sure "I'll call you that", I also have the freedom to say "no I won't call you that". You can't dictate to me that I can't let that person dictate what to call them.

I do it simply to respect their feelings, besides what you are stating is besides the point.

I am asking how a non-binary person would define male and female.

I'm deciding for myself, that I am willing to let others decide what I refer to them as in pronouns. I am not advocating for a law that states everyone has to do so.

I think you are missing the point. I am not saying everyone should be legally obligated to use correct pronouns, I am saying, that I, as part of my freedom of choice, am willing to call people by the pronouns they wish for me to call them.

"As well as letting others decide for you what comes out of your mouth" can work just fine. If person A approaches me and asks me to call person A an "they or them or their", I have the freedom to say sure "I'll call you that", I also have the freedom to say "no I won't call you that". You can't dictate to me that I can't let that person dictate what to call them.

I do it simply to respect their feelings, besides what you are stating is besides the point.

OKEY DOKEY...I will leave you to your bad ideas.

OKEY DOKEY...I will leave you to your bad ideas.

1) I am always open to debating any idea "good or bad"

2) I don't think your previous comment was meant debate me on why my idea is bad, but to simply state a conclusory statement that it is, which seems to make it more of a insult than anything else.

3) Why take my original topic and throw it off on some random tangent? I never even stated anything about "different definitions for different people" I asked how a non-binary person would define male and female, they could define it the same or they could define it differently, you didn't even offer a definition of how they would define it, but assumed that different definitions would be created.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't assert comments based off premises that I didn't state, and then throw in short one sentence insults.
Thanks.

1) I am always open to debating any idea "good or bad"

2) I don't think your previous comment was meant debate me on why my idea is bad, but to simply state a conclusory statement that it is, which seems to make it more of a insult than anything else.

3) Why take my original topic and throw it off on some random tangent? I never even stated anything about "different definitions for different people" I asked how a non-binary person would define male and female, they could define it the same or they could define it differently, you didn't even offer a definition of how they would define it, but assumed that different definitions would be created.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't assert comments based off premises that I didn't state, and then throw in short one sentence insults.
Thanks.

Perhaps if you simply dropped the underlying problem you seem to have with this issue and focused instead on the fact they are people (Humans) it might be easier for you. As with many of these divisive social issues it really come down to one thing at the core, personal opinion and putting in the incorrect context. Ego likely plays a big role as well so maybe evaluate that as well, because it is none of your concern unless directly impacting you and yours which you can then directly address in person if you feel the need and have the courage.

I say that if changing a pronoun is the least I can do to make someone else feel comfortable, then it is really no effort for me to do so.

Back
Top Bottom