• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do you think the shutdown is most likely to end?

How do you think the shutdown is most likely to end?

• Total voters
There should be an options for the two sides to sit down and negotiate a deal or compromise.

They did have a deal.

DOD is funded I think through next fiscal year. Military members are getting paid.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Except the Coast Guard.

Trump will end it but not before he surpasses the "longest" shutdown so he can brag that he had the longest shutdown in history.

The deal the democrats won't take is DACA for the wall. The need that for 2020. They know Mueller will be wrapped up and that is the end of that, and aside from investigations into everything Trump, that only creates sympathy for him. It's hard to promise to knock down a growing economy and peace.

The democrats are used to republican swampers folding and going home crying "for the greater good".

I expect to see Trump on the airwaves pounding the dem's on their duplicity.

Except the Coast Guard.
That's because much of what they do isn't DOD, but rather DHS.

#5. You are asking someone to guess what each side will do now?
We don’t even know yet how many clowns will be entering the car, let alone who will be taking the pie to the face, or being shot out of the cannon.

Right now, it looks like neither side will budge and no negotiations or compromises are possible. It looks as if nothing will happen until the people march on Washington and demand that the public servants, as that's what the president and Congress are supposed to be, do their (insert expletive here) jobs and quit acting like spoiled children.

That may be what this comes to...even as such a march is all the more difficult to do for government workers who aren't being paid.

That's because much of what they do isn't DOD, but rather DHS.

You said "military," and "military" is what I was responding to.

It will end when the GOP-led Senate gets enough calls from their constituents to pass the bi-partisan House bills and override any Trump veto.

There aren't any heroes on either side of congressional aisles today, and the losers are the American people.

I just watched two different sound bites on the news. 1. The Democrats could end this shutdown anytime they want. Fund the wall. 2. Trump could end this shutdown anytime he wants, drop all funding for the wall.

That seems to be today's talking points from both sides. Each side could end the shut down in five minutes if either side would just cave 100% to the other side. Or at least that is what I took from the sound bites.

Then I head someone say the Democrats want 58 billion for foreign aid. Why not just take the 5 billion from there. Now I found that thought interesting.

Actually, this isn't a battle of 5 billion, it is a battle of ego's. For either side to back down they would lose face with their supporters. To compromise, each would lose face with their supporters. This is ego vs. ego. I'm sure without the ego's, something could be worked out. If Reagan and Tip O'Neal could always work out a compromise on SDI with no harm to the country, surely Pelosi, Schumer and Trump could do the same. The problem is, Ronnie and Tip didn't have ego's as big as the moon and both were willing to compromise for the good of the country.

That later says a lot about Pelosi, Schumer and Trump.

Last edited:
Trump backs down and ends the government shutdown and declares a national emergency and builds the wall anyway.

I hope it does not become necessary for Trump to do this to start solving the catastrophe that is our border security and our immigration nightmare. The wall which is clearly needed across much of our border is chump change in the over all picture. It amounts to 1/4 of a penny of your tax dollar. My god you think we were going to bankrupt the country to start securing our border. I think the democrats are being more than unreasonable to not spend such a small amount to start securing our border and solving the immigration crisis that has been going on for decades in this country. This is beyond ridiculous. 10's of millions of illegal aliens with no respect for our laws or the people who make our laws running amuck in our country and the democrats refuse to spend 1/4 of 1 penny of our tax dollar to start doing something to solve the problem.

You said "military," and "military" is what I was responding to.

Sure - Coast Guard occupies a weird place, however, because they float back and forth between being a military and a law enforcement branch (counter-Drug and Homeland Security, for example). My understanding (and, I haven't asked any Coasties) is that, where they are currently operating as a military force (Under Title 10 Authorities), they are funded. Where they are operating under another authority (such as Law Enforcement) they are not.

Though, upon research, it turns out they did, in fact, get paid. We'll see if something similar pops up on the 15th.

Trump backs down and ends the government shutdown and declares a national emergency and builds the wall anyway.

...and gets cut off at the knees attempting to misuse his emergency powers. Do you really want a Democratic President abusing the same power a few years from now? At some point, the Cons need to respect the rule of law, norm and convention. Rules exist to protect all of us.

though I agree this could be the rationale for his ending the shutdown, but its likely to be just another dead end. The parties should be working to a semantic negotiation that improves funding for border security to include some fencing.

It will end when the GOP-led Senate gets enough calls from their constituents to pass the bi-partisan House bills and override any Trump veto.

There aren't any heroes on either side of congressional aisles today, and the losers are the American people.

Bi-partisan House bill...you got to be kidding me! The democrats have not moved on funding the wall unlike the republicans who have tried to negotiate a compromise from over 5 billion down to 2.5billion. It take two to compromise.

I doubt the American people will be the losers on this shutdown...most Americans really don't care and even if they did only a few will notice and fewer will see any hurt.

The shut down will accomplish one good thing...reduce the National debt.

Taken directly from the twitter poll started by Steve Vladeck.
https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1081007243980623872

1) Trump backs down; no wall
2) Democrats back down; agree to fund wall
3) Enough Republican Senators join Democrats and override a veto
4) Will be settled by whoever wins in 2020 (for all intents and purposes, shutdown continues in perpetuity and is handled by next legislative and executive makeup)

It appears to me the democrats are more concerned with the safety of illegal alien entering the country then they are about the safety of American citizens. Case in point the recent murder of a Californian law officer by an illegal alien.

I hope it does not become necessary for Trump to do this to start solving the catastrophe that is our border security and our immigration nightmare. The wall which is clearly needed across much of our border is chump change in the over all picture. It amounts to 1/4 of a penny of your tax dollar. My god you think we were going to bankrupt the country to start securing our border. I think the democrats are being more than unreasonable to not spend such a small amount to start securing our border and solving the immigration crisis that has been going on for decades in this country. This is beyond ridiculous. 10's of millions of illegal aliens with no respect for our laws or the people who make our laws running amuck in our country and the democrats refuse to spend 1/4 of 1 penny of our tax dollar to start doing something to solve the problem.

First, the border wall is a wall, it is not national security, which is a much broader issue. It is not "clearly needed", in fact, only 35% of the people believe a border wall is required, which means 65% do not or do not know. This is a will of the minority issue, which is contrary to the precepts of democracy. I am not here to argue the sheer stupidity of the idea of wall as a solution for problem that does not even exist.... so,

More importantly, however, I need to help you sharpen your math skills. Your suggestion that its 1/4 penny is so far off base your face should be red. You could have done just a little research before posting stuff of which no brain power was used.

There are 141M US taxpayers. The POTUS is asking for $5B for one year. This works out to $36 per taxpayer. As the wall is likely to cost 10X the amount Trump is asking for, then it works out to $360 per taxpayer.

Given 65% of America does not want this wall, my recommendation is that the 35% that do send $1000 each to the GoFundMe account and let the rest of us have quite enjoyment of our democracy.

https://www.gofundme.com/Trecostas-Cafe

Last edited:
Taken directly from the twitter poll started by Steve Vladeck.
https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1081007243980623872

1) Trump backs down; no wall
2) Democrats back down; agree to fund wall
3) Enough Republican Senators join Democrats and override a veto
4) Will be settled by whoever wins in 2020 (for all intents and purposes, shutdown continues in perpetuity and is handled by next legislative and executive makeup)

Trump will almost certainly back down, he doesn't even know what the fork he wants to build. He has no solid foundation. It will crumble b/c he's a con-man asking Congress for permission to con the American people and the Democrats know this.

Trump is going to piss of a lot of intelligent gov workers that are not getting paid for political reasons and almost forgot !!! it is tax return time a lot of Americans want their money that was taken out their pay check come February or even January 2019 . Now trumps base ? well they will give all there money to trump without question Fed tax returns too. and guess what!!! only 25% of the country will believe its the dems fault because trump just said it .

It looks like the shutdown will last at least until after the 29th.

Sean Hannity urged President Trump to dig in his heels for funding of the border wall, even if it means keeping the government closed through his State of the Union address on Jan. 29… or longer.

“As much of an inconvenience, some people that work for the government and I hope they get their back pay, it needs to continue, straight throughout State of the Union and maybe beyond,” Hannity said at the end of a more than 20 minute opening monologue for his Fox News program Friday.

As we all know, Hannity, along with Putin, is the real power behind the White House currently.

First, the border wall is a wall, it is not national security, which is a much broader issue. It is not "clearly needed", in fact, only 35% of the people believe a border wall is required, which means 65% do not or do not know. This is a will of the minority issue, which is contrary to the precepts of democracy. I am not here to argue the sheer stupidity of the idea of wall as a solution for problem that does not even exist.... so,

More importantly, however, I need to help you sharpen your math skills. Your suggestion that its 1/4 penny is so far off base your face should be red. You could have done just a little research before posting stuff of which no brain power was used.

There are 141M US taxpayers. The POTUS is asking for $5B for one year. This works out to $36 per taxpayer. As the wall is likely to cost 10X the amount Trump is asking for, then it works out to $360 per taxpayer.

Given 65% of America does not want this wall, my recommendation is that the 35% that do send $1000 each to the GoFundMe account and let the rest of us have quite enjoyment of our democracy.

https://www.gofundme.com/Trecostas-Cafe

First off 90+% of the people have never even been to the border at all. I have been at the border in Arizona, New Mexico, California, and Texas. I have crossed into Mexico so many times I have lost count. As an MP I worked directly with border patrol in Arizona for 3 years. Yet these people who have never even seen the border are deciding what we need. That is like having a chef design a building.

This Friday (11th) is the last paycheck for most govt. workers involved in the partial shutdown.

Look for protests at the WH and Capitol to grow exponentially after the 11th.

First off 90+% of the people have never even been to the border at all. I have been at the border in Arizona, New Mexico, California, and Texas. I have crossed into Mexico so many times I have lost count. As an MP I worked directly with border patrol in Arizona for 3 years. Yet these people who have never even seen the border are deciding what we need. That is like having a chef design a building.

It doesn't matter who has been to the border or not. It has no support.

But, since you raised the issue citing only personal anecdote, let's review your claim... So I googled "How do people that live on the border feel about the wall"... this is what I got:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article152402734.html
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/10/09/presidio-wall-texas-border-mexico/
https://www.usatoday.com/border-wall/story/eminent-domain-trump-border-wall-rio-grande/638916001/
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2017/04/border-wall-delano/
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/imm...ts-and-the-wall-arent-as-simple-as-some-think

..and, one of my favorite pieces on the issue..

[video]https://www.trutv.com/shows/adam-ruins-everything/videos/why-a-wall-wont-stop-immigration.html[/video]

Sorry, nothing within tells us that border towns feel differently about this than America as a whole, and, if anything are more negative about a wall than those that live far from the border. In fact, what I find most interesting is the congressional districts on the Southern Border are predominantly "blue"....

https://www.wired.com/story/is-us-leaning-red-or-blue-election-maps/

It would not be stretch to say, from a political perspective, that those that have been on the border don't want it. Its the one's that have never been anywhere near the border that fear the boogeyman.

If Trump really wants the wall, then make it a part of overall immigration reform legislation. The wall has 35% support. A comprehensive immigration reform bill, including a wall, could have 65% support.

Negotiation within the legislative process is the way government is suppose to work, not by taking hostages and throwing a hissy fit, which is what he is trying to do.

Last edited:
This Friday (11th) is the last paycheck for most govt. workers involved in the partial shutdown.

Look for protests at the WH and Capitol to grow exponentially after the 11th.

More evidence that this is just a political game for the democrats.

Back
Top Bottom