• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do you think the shutdown is most likely to end?

How do you think the shutdown is most likely to end?

• Total voters
All candidates put it on rather thick, but yes, he shouldn't have made promised the funding since he had little to no idea how much backlash he would encounter. May be that was naivety on his part, or perhaps he thinks in terms of business deals and underestimated the DC machine of power and corruption. Please note that I say that without mentioning party. Career politicians are not my cup of tea.

It's too late to talk about regrets. If Republicans wanted a candidate to tackle a serious issue then they should have chosen a serious candidate. As I've shown, Trump is handling a "serious" issue in the least serious way.

It's too late to talk about regrets. If Republicans wanted a candidate to tackle a serious issue then they should have chosen a serious candidate. As I've shown, Trump is handling a "serious" issue in the least serious way.

You seem to forget that your kind called that the "Clown Car" of candidates.

Or are you rather lying?

Over riding a veto assumes legislation gets to the Resolute Desk. McConnel has already said he wouldn't put anything up for a vote that he thinks the President won't sign. McConnell's stance protects the President from looking bad in front of America but makes the Senate look like crap. I voted the Dems back down but get something for it. I hope we don't have government by shutdown until 2020 or longer god forbid.

If it stretches more than another month, which party do you really think will look bad?

If security walls don't work why do so many wealthy people like Pelosi, Obama, Clintons have security fences around their homes?

Interesting that you are hell bent on equating every single person who crosses illegally with criminals hell bent on burglary.

Supposedly the numbers of illegal entries are higher than last year, which were very much lower than the year before, and which dropped by 30% the year before that. Certainly does not indicate a crisis of any sort. What is a crisis, and a wall will not change, is that the border entries are overwhelmed with people who have presented themselves for asylum. The government has yet to act to alleviate that crisis. There is not adequate room to house these people. More administrative help is needed in processing these cases. But that does not get done. Families stay there for very long times. Unfortunately, children have died.
and Vietnam...........

Is there any point at which Trump supporters would demand the truth from him? Because he presents this idea of a border overrun with rapists and drug dealers, and that is not what is happening at all. It is a crisis of quite a different type, and his stupid wall will not help a bit.

.............and Vietnam........

then may be dems should have nominated someone with a spine willing to tackle those issues instead of looking for a coronation. Like I said yesterday, the wall, the funding, Trump rhetoric is far from what is wrong with this nation. Why have we not been able to resolve illegal immigration in 30 years. Why are people frustrated about it. Stop saying Trump, he is merely a small snowflake on an iceberg.

Interesting that you are hell bent on equating every single person who crosses illegally with criminals hell bent on burglary.

OMG, this is about sovereignty, law and order, privacy, personal space if we must. Who the heck said anything about burglary?

then may be dems should have nominated someone with a spine willing to tackle those issues instead of looking for a coronation. Like I said yesterday, the wall, the funding, Trump rhetoric is far from what is wrong with this nation. Why have we not been able to resolve illegal immigration in 30 years. Why are people frustrated about it. Stop saying Trump, he is merely a small snowflake on an iceberg.

Putting this on the Democrats makes no sense. You know that it's Republicans that want a giant wall, so why didn't Republicans nominate a serious Republican to give it to them? And the answer is they believed that if they gave that task to someone who would achieve it by brute force that would be enough.

Who knows? Maybe they'll be right. But I doubt it, because again, a serious issue has been handed to a perfectly unserious human being.

OMG, this is about sovereignty, law and order, privacy, personal space if we must. Who the heck said anything about burglary?

You brought up the subject of rich people putting fences and walls around their estates.

Why have we not been able to resolve illegal immigration in 30 years.

Much more than thirty years. Start with braceros and then move to Operation Wetback and note the timeframes of both, and tell me if you smell any hypocrisy.

It is closer to Home Invasion....as you should know.

Yeah, hundreds of thousands of brown people invading for the chance to pick crops, do janitorial work and maybe some food service. Wow. Did you think most illegals wind up getting handed skilled jobs?

While you deem yourself an expert on what a wall will or will not do and in the same breath declare anyone in Trump's administration are liars, you show yourself someone who is not even worth responding to. If security walls don't work why do so many wealthy people like Pelosi, Obama, Clintons have security fences around their homes?...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/politicians-walls-around-homes/

I had a six-foot security fence around my family's 1800 sq ft home decades ago; every home in that suburb did.

The implication that these politicians, and god knows how many others, have some kind of a massive structure surrounding their homes is in most cases false; even so there is no way to say "Look, they got fencing around their homes, so that's why the entire country needs a fence too!!" without sounding like a drooling escapee from the local mental facility.

There is absolutely no correlation between individual families who have fenced in yards and so-called "proof" that means an entire country must then be encased in steel because, what...? "It's only fair"???

I lived in California most of my life and saw first hand that the San Diego wall (built decades ago, not "this year" as Trump trumpets) cut illegal crossings by 95%; and I also know that there a many, many ranchers and land owners desperate for more security slat fencing to protect their families and their property. So I am not "anti-wall" at all. We need better walls where the residents and land-owners need it, and better border security technology where a wall isn't feasible. But this kind of eye-rolling logic is not going to get anyone anywhere.

Trump can't even get enough R's to vote for it, let alone D's. He hasn't built a single new foot so far.

Trump has just lied about former Presidents privately confiding in him that they regret not building a wall. As will surprise nobody, that is not true.

If the wall is such a serious issue, why lie constantly about it? If it's as necessary as Trump claims, the truth would be enough, and yet I can think of no time that he's been honest about it, save one: when he told Schumer that the only reason he has for sticking to the wall is that he'll look foolish if he doesn't. I believe in that one revealing moment he was more honest than we've ever known him to be.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/04/trump-former-presidents-border-wall-1082562

If it stretches more than another month, which party do you really think will look bad?

We haven't gone one month yet. Pressure will mount quickly and a deal will be made. No one wants to be damaged politically. I don't see even Trump being so capricious that he will commit political suicide.

We haven't gone one month yet. Pressure will mount quickly and a deal will be made. No one wants to be damaged politically. I don't see even Trump being so capricious that he will commit political suicide.

You give the POTUS too much credit, IMO.

Trump has just lied about former Presidents privately confiding in him that they regret not building a wall. As will surprise nobody, that is not true.

If the wall is such a serious issue, why lie constantly about it? If it's as necessary as Trump claims, the truth would be enough, and yet I can think of no time that he's been honest about it, save one: when he told Schumer that the only reason he has for sticking to the wall is that he'll look foolish if he doesn't. I believe in that one revealing moment he was more honest than we've ever known him to be.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/04/trump-former-presidents-border-wall-1082562

I want him to name one former president who said they regretted not building a wall. He is the biggest liar we have seen in the WH.

He is now trying to find a way out of this mess he started. Now trying his best to call in the Pelosi shutdown.

Building the wall just a campaign soundbite.

If you really want to do something for this country how about a shutdown until the deficit is paid off. And make the shutdown of the federal workers who run the WH.

I am hopeful (not confident) that enough Republicans will react to their constituents and finally deal with their Trump fear to protect them. Likely in a few weeks we will see the split and eventually even Turtleman will be forced to allow a vote and Trump know his veto is worthless.

I have no idea. But, if the military is not getting paid, why should Senate, Congress, Cabinet members and White House staffers?
DOD is funded I think through next fiscal year. Military members are getting paid.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Taken directly from the twitter poll started by Steve Vladeck.
https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1081007243980623872

1) Trump backs down; no wall
2) Democrats back down; agree to fund wall
3) Enough Republican Senators join Democrats and override a veto
4) Will be settled by whoever wins in 2020 (for all intents and purposes, shutdown continues in perpetuity and is handled by next legislative and executive makeup)

There should be an options for the two sides to sit down and negotiate a deal or compromise.

I want him to name one former president who said they regretted not building a wall. He is the biggest liar we have seen in the WH..

You wouldn't know him. He goes to a different school.

Back
Top Bottom