• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do you think the shutdown ends?

MovingPictures

WE'LL DO IT LIVE!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
My guess is that Trump doesn't want to cave, or he'll look weak to his base. But, he also doesn't want to follow through on his veto threat and have to take full responsibility for the shutdown at that point.

As things stand five Republicans have expressed a desire to vote for the same bill they previously agreed to. If a few more Republicans break it will be very difficult for McConnell to justify not bringing the bill to a vote, and so sooner or later he's going to have to give up the ghost and allow a floor vote.

Then the bill will pass and Trump will threaten to veto, but will ultimately let it go into effect, at which point he will blame McConnell and the senate Republicans for caving, and they will become the villians in right-wing media, which will enable Trump to wash his hands of the issue.

... it ends with blame.

If the Senate actually passes it then I find it unlikely Trump will veto. I just don’t know how long McConnell is going to stall the vote.

In a few days this will become the longest shutdown in history and the pressure is going to build.

My guess is that Trump doesn't want to cave, or he'll look weak to his base. But, he also doesn't want to follow through on his veto threat and have to take full responsibility for the shutdown at that point.

As things stand five Republicans have expressed a desire to vote for the same bill they previously agreed to. If a few more Republicans break it will be very difficult for McConnell to justify not bringing the bill to a vote, and so sooner or later he's going to have to give up the ghost and allow a floor vote.

Then the bill will pass and Trump will threaten to veto, but will ultimately let it go into effect, at which point he will blame McConnell and the senate Republicans for caving, and they will become the villians in right-wing media, which will enable Trump to wash his hands of the issue.

Mexico pays

I think you nailed it.

How do you think the shutdown ends?

Hopefully with compromise. I heard a very good suggestion on NPR this morning. What our boarder guards really want is improved "fencing" in metropolitan areas, the design is big steel posts driven about 6 feet deep and go up +- 20 feet. Apparently this pushes illegals out into the desert where they can be more easily discovered and dealt with.

Along with "metropolitan fencing" they want funding for facilities to that will more effectively enable them to deal with the migrants. Which are, more and more, becoming women and children that they are unequipped to process. In addition we need to address the issues Central Americans are facing, some of which we are responsible for. IF trump and congress could agree on a solution for those problems it would be a good compromise. Trump gets better boarder security and Democrats get more a humanitarian way of dealing with migrants, especially women and children. And hopefully we help oppressed Central Americans curtailing there desire to come North.

I think it's something Democrats would agree to and gives trump a way to save face even win if he comes out and LEADS with such a plan. I think, done right, his base would approve and he would garner support of ALL Americans.

He didn't think he would get elected so promising a wall was a no cost ploy that was never meant to be reality. This is a way to sidestep his poly and get the whole nation on board.

Will trump do it; probably not.

Last edited:

Pressure will mount, and it will mount on Republicans, 58% of Americans are blaming Trump and the repubs for this shutdown .

Pressure will mount, and it will mount on Republicans, 58% of Americans are blaming Trump and the repubs for this shutdown .

This current little stare down between Trump and the Dems is not going to last forever.
Trump has never had to live paycheck to paycheck and is out of touch with real Americans.

Have a feeling something hugely negative is going to happen with so many Federal workers held hostage.
And then they are going to have to act as it will indeed become a National Emergency.

My guess...it ends in a National Emergency call that is not a National Emergency. Emmet Flood is probably going to tell Trump he has about a 40% chance at best that the courts don't shut him down on that. But 40% is better than 0% and I think Trump is just warped enough to not care about the blowback.

In fact, the problem with that is that there will be blowback for Trump regardless of how that goes. If he gets shut down in the courts, that is that. If he doesn't get shut down in the courts the only way to do it is widespread eminent domain on the border which will be the end of the Republican Party. I am going to guess that if the Republicans have a choice they would not take that gamble. Trump could care less but only because he does not know to care.

Trump would have to engage in widespread eminent domain to get this sea to shining sea physical barrier anyway. But to call a National Emergency when one does not exist and THEN end up seizing property through eminent domain is a killer for both Trump AND the Republican Party. That is dictatorship nonsense and Trump does not survive and the GOP does not survive for having brought that on us. I very seriously doubt Trump is smart enough to figure that out. There are some Republicans that can figure it out. Not sure what they will do about it.

Last edited:
I don't know, but I sure hope it ends in a way that this stops being a thing.

It ends with a CR allowing Trump to build some minor portion of the Great Wall Of Trump. There is no pressure on congress to ever adequately fund immigration law enforcement - they get re-elected at a rate of over 90% doing nothing differently.

It ends with a CR allowing Trump to build some minor portion of the Great Wall Of Trump. There is no pressure on congress to ever adequately fund immigration law enforcement - they get re-elected at a rate of over 90% doing nothing differently.

Trump has got that already. So he should just stop and declare victory. its not his base IMO. Its Limbaugh and Coulter and Right wing media generally that won't let Trump off the hook for something he simply cannot provide and Trump is not nimble enough mentally to figure it out.

Trump should simply tell Rush and Coulter and the rest to take a long walk off a short peer. Its HIS base, not there's. When Bannon challenged him, what happened to Bannon?

I think it'll end with Trump declaring a national emergency and starting construction. Then McConnell will vote on clean spending bills and Trump will sign them.

The shutdown will be over...government workers will go back to work...and the Trump haters will howl at the night sky.

I think it'll end with Trump declaring a national emergency and starting construction. Then McConnell will vote on clean spending bills and Trump will sign them.

The shutdown will be over...government workers will go back to work...and the Trump haters will howl at the night sky.

I think that is a real possible scenario but I see the leftists running to the courts judge shopping to challenge Trump from going that route.

Trump strokes out, dies in his sleep. Steven Miller is so distraught he commits suicide. Governement quickly opens to president Pence (who is later impeached for complicity in all this "rusher witch hunt"). :roll:

I think that is a real possible scenario but I see the leftists running to the courts judge shopping to challenge Trump from going that route.

No doubt.

It'll come down to a ruling by the Supremes. I predict they will uphold his decision to build the wall.

Except Trump gets challenged in court which delays construction and there is not more than a 40% chance that Trump wins in the courts. He won't get more than a paltry couple billion bucks out of going that route before he gets stopped dead.

I think that is a lose lose for Trump but he might not be smart enough to figure that out.

Eminent domain under a National Emergency that is not a National Emergency will be the death of the GOP. This is not a Dictatorship.

Trump losses if he wins in the courts and he losses if he losses in the courts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom