• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do you think the SCOTUS decision re abortion will impact the midterms....the General?

Callen

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Lots of chatter on the other threads on the rightness/wrongness of the decision and arguments for/against abortion but not much on the political consequences. I am of the opinion that if....big if.... the Dems can nail the messaging on this it could shift the dynamics and make the midterms less of a bloodbath for the Dems. Maybe even result in the Dems holding on. I think that is especially true in the Senate where vulnerable Dems just became less vulnerable and some GOP Senate seats just got more vulnerable. I think it may play in down ticket too. This could be a huge get out the vote initiative......be interesting to watch.

I have no clue. Honestly, I have no faith in the liberals to get their stuff together or much faith that this country will be relevant in the next 50 years as it seems to have decided to live in the past. Over the last 6 years, its like we collectively decided to make ourselves irrelevant.

Lots of chatter on the other threads on the rightness/wrongness of the decision and arguments for/against abortion but not much on the political consequences. I am of the opinion that if....big if.... the Dems can nail the messaging on this it could shift the dynamics and make the midterms less of a bloodbath for the Dems. Maybe even result in the Dems holding on. I think that is especially true in the Senate where vulnerable Dems just became less vulnerable and some GOP Senate seats just got more vulnerable. I think it may play in down ticket too. This could be a huge get out the vote initiative......be interesting to watch.

@BlueTex....and those are GOP women! If women get behind this it could be a real game changer.

My bet is that the GOP will try and make this more about "the leak" and less about the decision. The leak part is important, that needs to be dealt with...it was wrong. However, this decision was coming out in June, well in advance of the midterms, so I'm not sure what the perceived advantage of leaking it was.

so I'm not sure what the perceived advantage of leaking it was.
I can think of at least a few good reasons.

- Give women a longer heads up so they have more time to move to blue states
- Give a longer time period for the public to pressure dems to end the filibuster and pass laws protecting abortion
- To give states a longer period to pass laws protecting abortion
- To inform people so we can protest starting now until laws protecting abortion are passed

Repubs are spinning away today.

It's not even a done deal yet. But hey, the sinking Dems have to try some scammy garbage in an attempt to cover their multiple policy failures.
That's the way they roll!

Could help get out the Dem vote, but it's been a long time since abortion has motivated Dems to do anything so I'm not holding my breath.

I have no clue. Honestly, I have no faith in the liberals to get their stuff together or much faith that this country will be relevant in the next 50 years as it seems to have decided to live in the past. Over the last 6 years, its like we collectively decided to make ourselves irrelevant.
Liberals can’t end the filibuster by themselves.

The last time DEMs ended a filibuster, they got three helsinki trump ussc justices out of the deal.

I can think of at least a few good reasons.

- Give women a longer heads up so they have more time to move to blue states
- Give a longer time period for the public to pressure dems to end the filibuster and pass laws protecting abortion
- To give states a longer period to pass laws protecting abortion
- To inform people so we can protest starting now until laws protecting abortion are passed
The decision was due next month. Not seeing 4-6 weeks as a reason significant enough to take this unprecedented and shocking action.

Abortion rights were never part of my "reasons" for voting for a party or a candidate, in spite of me being pro-choice.

But I think between this breaking news and the shit that DeSantis pulled, I would never vote for a Republican again. That's just me.

If there is one thing that has been shown by all the recent machinations is that there is a new outrage in the pipeline when one breaks…….by the mid-term who can tell what is going to happen, the summer is shaping up to be a contentious one, imo.

It might for some single issue voters, but overall it won’t change many votes.
I honestly think you are underestimating the importance of this issue. Some things like inflation are transitory, this is fundamental to huge numbers of women. Never, ever underestimate the impact of women engaged.

Abortion rights were never part of my "reasons" for voting for a party or a candidate, in spite of me being pro-choice.

But I think between this breaking news and the shit that DeSantis pulled, I would never vote for a Republican again. That's just me.
I would tend to agree but never say never. There was a time when I said I would never vote democrat.

I would tend to agree but never say never. There was a time when I said I would never vote democrat.

Me too. But I only voted for Biden because of the anti-American piece of shit he faced. Now every Republican who acts like DeSantis or is all in for Trump is on my "DNV" list (do not vote for).

I honestly think you are underestimating the importance of this issue. Some things like inflation are transitory, this is fundamental to huge numbers of women. Never, ever underestimate the impact of women engaged.

OK, but Texas has been red for quite a while.

Exactly. And not as if it takes 90% of females to swing an election.

Me too. But I only voted for Biden because of the anti-American piece of shit he faced. Now every Republican who acts like DeSantis or is all in for Trump is on my "DNV" list (do not vote for).
Well, the issue at hand is much bigger than the hint of a Roe v. Wade overthrow.

We will soon see which way the country wants to go, by the number of voters and how many other "DNV" lists there are out there, (and which side of the political spectrum they fall on.)

I am thinking that all those "wokeness" movements/activists might have turned otherwise progressive-minded people, into closeted bigots that want to take the country back to 1950. I mean, if it is coming down to culture wars, people, (progressives and independents) could just say "screw this shit" and circle their wagons around their own tribal roots. Not that they really wanted to, but more as a matter of cultural survival.

All that probably didn't make a lick of sense. But I get it. It ain't easy being me.

Just what the leaker hopes. It was a PLANNED event.

Just what the leaker hopes. It was a PLANNED event.

This SCOTUS decision was likely to be announced before the mid-term elections anyway. The ‘leakers’ plan was likely to get the SCOTUS to change its decision, but IMHO it will not.

Back
Top Bottom