• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Do You Spell Gad...Qadd....Kadd....That dead Libyan guys name?

How do you spell?

• Total voters
How do I name thee? Let me count the ways.
I name thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I name thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I name thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I name thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I name thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I name thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I name thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but name thee better after death.

with apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Qadhdhaafiy

a-s-s-h-o-l-e-w-h-o-n-e-e-d-e-d-k-i-l-l-i-n-g :)

There isn't really a right answer.

There is no direct letter for letter translation from Arabic to Roman script so translations are based on the sound of the name. Different accents in the same language have different sounds though, so the Roman spelling of his name can differ depending on which accent you're working from (and possibly to as well). You get the same thing with Koran/Quran too.

Last few tweets Gaddafi sent out...

@Muhammir G - "Dammit...no milk for cereal...cables out...can this day GET any worse???"

@Muhammir G - "Pizza delivery guy? I don't remember ordering pizza."

(nod to Conan!)

Via Wiki

3c642f3123a34a2b7372d0ff0a9e57c4.png

This is when I feel sorry for the guys who have to carve his headstone.

in my language it is spelled like "Gedaf"

It actually doesn't matter. If there's an "ad" in the middle and an "fi" on the end, everyone knows who we're talking about. :mrgreen:

There is no standard guide for translating Arabic words so when you look at an Arabic word written in English, it's actually not a translation, but a transliteration which is only a representation of how the Arabic word would sound if it was written in the Latin alphabet. Sounds can be interpreted different ways which is why you get so many different variations on the spelling of his name.

Same thing with the Qur’an.

Back
Top Bottom