• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Do You Produce Your Coffee and Why?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I use a Saeco TDCM-CC Renaissance 8-Cup Digital Drip Coffeemaker which uses a thermos carafe. I bought it about 8 years ago when my then 16 year old Melitta broke. The Melitta made very good coffee but I tend to let it set and drink during the day, and I had started to care more about my coffee so letting it sit and burn was no longer working for me. I grind the beans fresh, usually Starbucks, the darker the better.

I am pretty happy with my Saeco except that there was a part that was poorly designed on the carafe that I had to MacGyver, but the coffee is good and it stays hot most of the day if I fill the carafe with hot water before I brew to warm it up, and since I do this I only clean it occasionally. It was expensive and gets very poor reviews.

I am thinking it is time for a change, the machine has been broken for years and seems to be working slower even after I run vinegar through it, and I am wonder what people like. My grandparents adored coffee and swore by the pour over method, into a thermos carafe, and I remember them teaching me how to do it in 1975, a very precise 15 minute method with several pours that had to be done in a certain way with the water at a certain temp pulled off the stove. Maybe, but I dont remember the steps and that seems like too much work for lazy me.

I wonder what coffee lovers like these days.

~ too much work for lazy me ~

570x570.fit.286195.jpg

I think I am the laziest you will meet. I've tried nearly everything including Turkish and Eastern European coffee that you sieve out through your teeth. My partner was given a Whittards teapot with fine mesh tea strainer a few years ago and I realised it was pretty similar to what you find in a fancy percolator. She wasn't using it so I "borrowed" it off her. (permanently)

Pop your required grounds in, pour water at required temperature and leave to brew to personal taste. When done, just remove the strainer above and tip contents out. Easiest and best coffee maker I've ever had.

Boil water and add to teapot with desired loose leaf tea.
Let it brew up a bit then pour into a large mug. DO NOT add milk or sugar.
Drink and enjoy.

The kids bought me a Keurig. Yeah, I know, the individual pods are a waste of resources. I use some of them for seedling planting cups.

I use their Green Mountain Brand Dark Magic. Though there are a ton of other varieties and flavors, this one suits me fine. It's a bit like having a Starbucks at home, only faster and better coffee.

In terms of expense, I order from them online and since I've racked up a oodle of bonus points and Keurig regularly sends out special offers (at least once every month), I don't pay the store price. A box of 24 pods costs me $14 a box before the special. This month I got 5 boxes for the price of 4. Costs me about 50 cents a cup.

The kids bought me a Keurig. Yeah, I know, the individual pods are a waste of resources. I use some of them for seedling planting cups.

I use their Green Mountain Brand Dark Magic. Though there are a ton of other varieties and flavors, this one suits me fine. It's a bit like having a Starbucks at home, only faster and better coffee.

In terms of expense, I order from them online and since I've racked up a oodle of bonus points and Keurig regularly sends out special offers (at least once every month), I don't pay the store price. A box of 24 pods costs me $14 a box before the special. This month I got 5 boxes for the price of 4. Costs me about 50 cents a cup.

Does the K waste resources?

There's a case to be made that by having the exact amount of coffee and water needed, that it reduces waste in those areas.

I have two methods.

When I am off and only drink a cup to wake up, I use a Kuerig. My mom bought me a first generation K when I was 16, before they became a big thing. I still have it and use it.

When I do go to work, I start a pot before I jump in the shower, I have a Black & Decker drip brewer that I bought at Fred Meyer's for $30. The reason for the drip Brewer, is so that I can drink one cup in the morning and pour the rest of the pot in a thermos to take to work.

When camping I use a stainless steel percolator, that goes either on the fire or a Coleman stove

There's a case to be made that by having the exact amount of coffee and water needed, that it reduces waste in those areas.

The actual plastic the cups are made of, they have proven to be a rather large source of non-degradable waste. The creator of them actually regrets making them because of it.

570x570.fit.286195.jpg

I think I am the laziest you will meet. I've tried nearly everything including Turkish and Eastern European coffee that you sieve out through your teeth. My partner was given a Whittards teapot with fine mesh tea strainer a few years ago and I realised it was pretty similar to what you find in a fancy percolator. She wasn't using it so I "borrowed" it off her. (permanently)

Pop your required grounds in, pour water at required temperature and leave to brew to personal taste. When done, just remove the strainer above and tip contents out. Easiest and best coffee maker I've ever had.

Cool idea....do you buy standard ground? If you grind it yourself what size works best? Do you bring the water to a boil?

We have one of them too, I call it the K-Crap machine. My wife uses it and I do when I am in a rush or super lazy. Costco seems to be the cheapest place for the cofee, they run a discount several times a year, and I read that the coffee is fine for well over a year. One thing I have noticed is some brands have a lot more coffee in them than others, there is a huge taste difference and I have even found a few that aren't half bad...Starbucks Holiday Blend was awesome.

I use a French Press.

Easy, just boil water in a kettle and put the grind in the bottom of the press, pour boiled water, a little bit first and swirl it around a couple of seconds, then pour the rest in. For some reason this makes the plunger easier to push down. I use the absolute fresh grown/roasted coffee from a friend, an ex Policeman from California. Now here in Panama working his coffee farm on a mountainside along with his beautiful Colombian wife. I love their coffee and they roast it just right, dark and rich.

OMG good.

I hand grind it with an old grain grinder you can find locally. Takes nothing and I can get the grind exactly like I want it, smells good and there is just enough resistance so feels good turning that crank grinding, listening to the crackle of the beans until its all done. My cats jump on the bed and me anywhere between 4 and 5 am, which is the time I like to get up. Nice little coffee ritual that I truly enjoy getting up for.

As an aside, he and another friend of mine from the Netherlands just started using using the meat or pulp of the coffee cherry to make a jelly or jam. I bought a jar but have yet to test it out.

I use a Mr. Coffee 5 cup drip coffee maker, unbleached paper filters, and Seattle's Best Level 5 coffee. I have been buying pre-ground of late, but sometimes I pick up a bag of beans. I grind them in a standard little power grinder to a fine powder.

My wife and I used to have separate makers, because she likes nasty flavored coffee. But her's went kaput, and we never did pick up a new one. So, I brew mine when I get up, then put the carafe on the warming burner of the stove, and make her nasty Joe. :mrgreen: Buys me mucho brownie points, and she appreciates it. :lol:

Always wanted to try the French press, I hear that's the best tasting method.

I use a french press.

On my angry days I pour hot water over some beans and then smash my fists into them repeatedly, then pour the water off the cutting board into a metal goblet. My coffee tastes of fury.

It's the individual packaging.

A Keurig. Primarily because I drink maybe one cup of coffee every couple days and I like to drink different types. I'm no aficionado.

It's the massive amount of plastic that you'll piss through and the fact that we have a floating plastic island in the Pacific due to all of our trash making it into the ocean. Keurigs just add to the island.

I use a Saeco TDCM-CC Renaissance 8-Cup Digital Drip Coffeemaker which uses a thermos carafe. I bought it about 8 years ago when my then 16 year old Melitta broke. The Melitta made very good coffee but I tend to let it set and drink during the day, and I had started to care more about my coffee so letting it sit and burn was no longer working for me. I grind the beans fresh, usually Starbucks, the darker the better.

I am pretty happy with my Saeco except that there was a part that was poorly designed on the carafe that I had to MacGyver, but the coffee is good and it stays hot most of the day if I fill the carafe with hot water before I brew to warm it up, and since I do this I only clean it occasionally. It was expensive and gets very poor reviews.

I am thinking it is time for a change, the machine has been broken for years and seems to be working slower even after I run vinegar through it, and I am wonder what people like. My grandparents adored coffee and swore by the pour over method, into a thermos carafe, and I remember them teaching me how to do it in 1975, a very precise 15 minute method with several pours that had to be done in a certain way with the water at a certain temp pulled off the stove. Maybe, but I dont remember the steps and that seems like too much work for lazy me.

I wonder what coffee lovers like these days.

I use a French Press, it's the best way to make coffee.

It's the massive amount of plastic that you'll piss through and the fact that we have a floating plastic island in the Pacific due to all of our trash making it into the ocean. Keurigs just add to the island.

That's not keurigs fault though, that's the effort of illegal dumping.

That's not keurigs fault though, that's the effort of illegal dumping.

Not really, **** falls off of barges all the time.

But the point is, the wasteful portion of it is the excessive amount of plastic waste it produces. That's the waste of resource, and plastic doesn't degrade. The dude who invented the K-cup now regrets it because of the sheer amount of waste it produces (Inventor of K-Cups regrets the idea - Mar. 4, 2015). Use a French Press. Forgo the crappy plastic containers all together, and make a better cup of coffee.

I ain't proud. Mr. Coffee with Maxwell House works for me.

Not really, **** falls off of barges all the time.

But the point is, the wasteful portion of it is the excessive amount of plastic waste it produces. That's the waste of resource, and plastic doesn't degrade. The dude who invented the K-cup now regrets it because of the sheer amount of waste it produces (Inventor of K-Cups regrets the idea - Mar. 4, 2015). Use a French Press. Forgo the crappy plastic containers all together, and make a better cup of coffee.[/QUOTE

I do not care if the inventor regrets making it. I simply do not.

I do not want to deal with French presses on my off days, and French press versus K cup makes no difference on the quality of the coffee. Almost every food product you buy makes plastic waste.

It's a ridiculous rap against the K cup.... The problem with plastic waste on the ocean is not stuff "falling off of barges" well It could be, waste that you hold over the edge of the barge and let go of does fall

like everything coffee is fast too in this century

what my granddad used to have

turk_kahve_degirmeni.jpg

what we have now (although I rarely use

v2-73985_large.jpg

The actual plastic the cups are made of, they have proven to be a rather large source of non-degradable waste. The creator of them actually regrets making them because of it.

Someone gave me a Keurig as a gift. I think it limits your brewing options and the coffee is, by far, not strong enough for me. When I do use the Keurig, I use a reusable pod and fill it to my liking. It doesn't happen often.
For day to day, I use a cheap drip coffee maker with a cone basket, for it makes best use of the grounds.
Manual brew over and french press are best, but who has the time and patience early in the morning?

i grind my own beans, add spices, and use a Mr. Coffee or Cuisinart coffeemaker. i can finally tolerate small amounts of real coffee again for the first time in years (digestive issues,) so i'm really enjoying actually being able to drink the coffee that i make for my GF every day.

Back
Top Bottom