• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Do You Make A Hamburger Patty?

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Do you do anything special in your cooking the patty? Not interested on what you put on it just interested in the cooking part only. I punch a hole in the center and when cooking indoors I use only a black iron skillet with a cast iron weight on top to speed the cooking and assure even heat distribution. I pour a little olive oil on to the skillet before adding the patty. A little salt & pepper added just before removing from the skillet. I have tried many variations of seasoning but salt & pepper seem to work the best when all is said and done.

Do you do anything special in your cooking the patty? Not interested on what you put on it just interested in the cooking part only. I punch a hole in the center and when cooking indoors I use only a black iron skillet with a cast iron weight on top to speed the cooking and assure even heat distribution. I pour a little olive oil on to the skillet before adding the patty. A little salt & pepper added just before removing from the skillet. I have tried many variations of seasoning but salt & pepper seem to work the best when all is said and done.

I spread the raw ground hamburger on a sheet pan and then smoke it in my cold smoker for an hour and then make the patties. Slice onions paper thin and press them into the patties, season with salt and pepper and then pan fry them until med. well.

Why do Americans call it a hamburger instead of a beef burger?

Doesn't the pressure of the second pan squeeze out the juices?
I like to crumble feta and mix the cheese into the burger, making sure not to handle the meat too much. Makes it tough.

Is Google down?

My name's not Patty.

I start with ground sirloin or rib eye.

Why do Americans call it a hamburger instead of a beef burger?

i call it a hamburg / cheeseburg.

as for preparation, i do about 1/4 lb and make the patty as thin and round as possible. might add a little hamburg seasoning, and cook it well done in a skillet. flat grill would be better, but i don't have one. we usually cook lean meat. fatty tastes better, but i like to keep my weight where it is. fatty hamburgs are for restaurant meals.

Depends on what kind of burger patty I am making.If its a regular burger patty then I either form the patties by hand,take out a semi-thawed hamburger meat roll and use an electric knife to cut the patties or I use a burger press. I then cook them in a skillet or bbq grill with no weight on top.I will use a weight on top for pork chops.

If its sliders/white castle style burgers then I follow this recipe. Its a lot more effort but it tastes good.I use thinly sliced pickle chips for this.
Copycat White Castle Sliders - Life Love Liz
Copycat White Castle Sliders

Copycat-White-Castle-Sliders.jpg
Print

Ingredients

• 2 pkgs Dinner Rolls (16 rolls)
  • 1 lb Ground Chuck
  • 2⅓ cup Beef Broth
  • 1 cup Dried Minced Onions
  • 8 American Cheese Slices (optional)
  • 16 Hamburger Dills
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • ½ tsp Pepper

Instructions

1. Line a 10x15 pan with parchment paper.
  2. Mix ground chuck, ⅔ cup beef broth and salt and pepper together until mixture is easily spreadable.
  3. Gently press and spread meat mixture into prepared pan until you form a thin even layer.
  4. Using a knife, score each into 16 equal rectangles.
  5. Use your finger to make 5 holes in each patty.
  6. Place in freezer for at least 1 hour.
  7. Remove frozen patties on parchment paper.
  8. Preheat oven to 450.
  9. Pour remaining beef broth (1⅔ cup) into a baking sheet and spread minced onions over entire bottom of pan.
  10. Allow to sit for 5 - 10 minutes.
  11. Cut all dinner rolls in half to make buns.
  12. Place frozen beef on top of onion mixture.
  13. Place in oven for 10 minutes to allow burgers to steam cook (until they turn brown).
  14. Remove and place cheese on each patty (if you are making cheese sliders).
  15. Top each with a bun top and return to oven for 3 minutes.
  16. Top each bun bottom with a dill pickle
  17. Use a spatula to pick up each slider half and place on bun bottom.

Depends on what kind of burger patty I am making.If its a regular burger patty then I either form the patties by hand,take out a semi-thawed hamburger meat roll and use an electric knife to cut the patties or I use a burger press. I then cook them in a skillet or bbq grill with no weight on top.I will use a weight on top for pork chops.

If its sliders/white castle style burgers then I follow this recipe. Its a lot more effort but it tastes good.I use thinly sliced pickle chips for this.

<snip>

Copycat White Castle Sliders

<snip>

Ingredients

• 2 pkgs Dinner Rolls (16 rolls)
  • 1 lb Ground Chuck
  • 2⅓ cup Beef Broth
  • 1 cup Dried Minced Onions
  • 8 American Cheese Slices (optional)
  • 16 Hamburger Dills
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • ½ tsp Pepper

Instructions

1. Line a 10x15 pan with parchment paper.
  2. Mix ground chuck, ⅔ cup beef broth and salt and pepper together until mixture is easily spreadable.
  3. Gently press and spread meat mixture into prepared pan until you form a thin even layer.
  4. Using a knife, score each into 16 equal rectangles.
  5. Use your finger to make 5 holes in each patty.
  6. Place in freezer for at least 1 hour.
  7. Remove frozen patties on parchment paper.
  8. Preheat oven to 450.
  9. Pour remaining beef broth (1⅔ cup) into a baking sheet and spread minced onions over entire bottom of pan.
  10. Allow to sit for 5 - 10 minutes.
  11. Cut all dinner rolls in half to make buns.
  12. Place frozen beef on top of onion mixture.
  13. Place in oven for 10 minutes to allow burgers to steam cook (until they turn brown).
  14. Remove and place cheese on each patty (if you are making cheese sliders).
  15. Top each with a bun top and return to oven for 3 minutes.
  16. Top each bun bottom with a dill pickle
  17. Use a spatula to pick up each slider half and place on bun bottom.
Then let them chill overnight, and enjoy in the morning with warm beer!

When I was a kid I used to cook my own meals a lot because my mom was a terrible cook. I would use lean ground meat and put chopped onions into it. Then I would wrap a strip of bacon around the sides of the patty to keep it from collapsing and then I would broil it. Crude but it worked. :mrgreen:

Then let them chill overnight, and enjoy in the morning with warm beer!

I was given this recipe from a chef at a very high end restaurant in Vancouver.

Aprox 1/4 lb ground sirloin or extra lean ground beef.

Shape into a patty, shill on ice for a few minutes then grill. Add salt and pepper and serve with desired garnishes.

I was given this recipe from a chef at a very high end restaurant in Vancouver.

Aprox 1/4 lb ground sirloin or extra lean ground beef.

Shape into a patty, shill on ice for a few minutes then grill. Add salt and pepper and serve with desired garnishes.
No! No!

My reference was to the old joke:

"The breakfast of champions: Cold sliders & warm beer!"

I suspect POS got it, though!

I usually pour about a half to full shot of whiskey over the beef, add various spices (paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, MSG, etc), and mash it all together before cooking.

use the highest grade of beef you can buy that's healthily and ethically raised. grind it yourself. cook with charcoal and apply Worcestershire sauce between flips. Do NOT use ketchup.

The best taste in beef comes from having some fat content in it. I never use "the leanest" burger I can find. I always go with something like an 80/20 mix.

Salt
Pepper
chopped onions
Worchestershire sause

Mix it all together in bowl, form patties, grill. Always grill. Even in winter. Never fry. Never squish them either. Why press out the delicious juices?

I like my burgers to be sort of thick too. At least a half inch think. Not round like a big meat ball, but not flat like a pancake.

Never ever cook to well done - medium is perfect. Lightly pink in the middle.

Add cheese while on grill after last flip.

I use 80/20 ground beef...prefer thin burgers...mix with a bit of onion and barbecue sauce.

Grill fry outside in summer...very got dutch oven for inside during the cold months.

Bread and butter pickles...and often a slice of cheese.

I hate the very thought of my hamburger patty swimming in fat while cooking it. (even the leanest ground beef has fat)

That's why I only use this:

George Foreman grill.jpg

I usually pour about a half to full shot of whiskey over the beef, add various spices (paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, MSG, etc), and mash it all together before cooking.

I usually just drink the whiskey, so if the burger doesn't come out perfectly I'm not overly concerned, because damn, that whiskey is good. Don't ever skimp on the quality of the whiskey.

start grill. high heat must be available when the burger is ready to be cooked

80/20 ground beef
1/2 pound per burger
depress thumb in center of patty as it is being made; minimize handling
[that resulting depression in the center will swell when cooking so that the burger will be even all around]
cook until thermometer reaches 130-140 [rare to medium rare]

if you follow nothing else, heed this: flip once ONLY!

let the burgers rest for about 3 minutes while you are preparing other things. that way the juices will return throughout the burger

my preferences:
peach wood chips added to grill at same time the burgers go on [hickory, mesquite, and cherry work well, too]
minced garlic. NO salt. it absorbs the moisture when cooking. add any salt prior to eating

Back
Top Bottom