• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do you like debating politics with idiots?

How do you like debating politics with stupid people?

• Rather kiss a spitting cobra!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rather take a shower with angry bats flying around my head!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I'd rather have a root canal performed by Dr. Lector (Hannibal)!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the above!

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Please vote.

Depends on how you define stupid. Some people actually believe that they are so right, anyone disagreeing with them in any way about anything must be stupid. But they might be stupid themselves. It's not a simple question you've posed here. The first part must be solved despite the mists of subjectivity. Then comes the reveal.

About as much as I like reading pointless polls.

Depends on how you define stupid. Some people actually believe that they are so right, anyone disagreeing with them in any way about anything must be stupid. But they might be stupid themselves. It's not a simple question you've posed here. The first part must be solved despite the mists of subjectivity. Then comes the reveal.
Ahh, finally someone with brains enough to have a decent conversation with....

It's quite simple - stupid cannot be changed, ignorance can (through education - be it self motivated learning or through an institution, etc.).... It seems that there are many stupid people on this site - no matter what evidence is presented to them proving their convoluted opinions otherwise, they will still adhere to false beliefs.... AND I'm not saying that just liberals are to blame for their lack of capacity to learn - there are plenty of conservatives whom prove obstinately obtuse as well... The real problem in this country is that there are too many problem creators and not enough problem solvers.... My father - whom in his prime was one of the best computer programmers in the country, taught me that. His point is that - well - politicians (for the most part) are idiots whom ARE the problem, not the solution. But that is perhaps getting off topic here...

The problem I see on boards like this is that no one wants to even listen or learn where the other side is coming from - the cotton remains in the ears, hence diarrhea of the mouth ensues..... I'm not saying I'm all that smart, either - I'm stupid enough to keep coming to this crappy site and expecting to change others' opinions....

Waste of freaking time - just remember that "the fool doth think he is wise, the wise man know himself to be a fool."

So, I admit it - I'm a fool, ok?

Hope that 'splains things a little better for everyone. And just remember this reality check - say what you want, but at least I think for myself. Furthermore, YOU DON'T know me!!!

The point is that this site in and of itself is just that ...... POINTLESS.

It can feel that way sometimes but it's really not. Shills and trolls are inevitable on any Internet forum but I've seen some pretty good discussions. There really are some very sharp and thoughtful posters here of all political leans.

Hey X Factor - if I go off on a rant, telling the despicable trolls here where they can go, would that be acceptable????

It can feel that way sometimes but it's really not. Shills and trolls are inevitable on any Internet forum but I've seen some pretty good discussions. There really are some very sharp and thoughtful posters here of all political leans.

My experience here hasn't been all bad, as some posters here are indeed sharp and thoughtful....

I've learned many things because a discussion here triggered a query and minutes later I knew something I didn't know before.

The hyper-partisan generally don't contribute very much but there are enough open minds to do some exploring with. I only have 6 people on my ignore list and that's not much considering how many are here.

Of course I believe every opinion I have is correct otherwise I would change my opinion. I am sure everyone views it in a similar way. Where some people seem to differ is they believe that whatever their opinion is that it is always correct and they could never possibly be wrong. Personally I feel I am probably more often wrong then right but until someone can show me what is correct or change my mind I will hold onto my convictions but with an open mind.

I've learned many things because a discussion here triggered a query and minutes later I knew something I didn't know before.

The hyper-partisan generally don't contribute very much but there are enough open minds to do some exploring with. I only have 6 people on my ignore list and that's not much considering how many are here.

Well, I guess one thing I have is an open mind - I come here to learn as well and perhaps because I really have nowhere else to go when I get some free time.... My post count is very minute - most of the time I figure I have better things to do..... Perhaps I should post more and get to know folks here a little better before I make rash judgments.... Maybe I won't be such a stranger here from now on........ Want to get to know people and fit in - maybe sometimes I just don't know how...

debating politics is by its very nature is pointless

lets assume we were running a business and we were discussing how to properly manage things
the outcome of our discussions would determine the success or failure of the enterprise
inthat case there'd be a reason to debate

here nothing will ever make any difference in anything ever so by definition it is pointless
there is zero chance of changing anyone's preconceived notions of the world

I'm only here to get rewarded with likes failing that
I'll flame bait troll and collect infractions :tongue4:

Of course I believe every opinion I have is correct otherwise I would change my opinion. I am sure everyone views it in a similar way. Where some people seem to differ is they believe that whatever their opinion is that it is always correct and they could never possibly be wrong. Personally I feel I am probably more often wrong then right but until someone can show me what is correct or change my mind I will hold onto my convictions but with an open mind.

EXACTLY! It can be about being wrong and knowing it - and holding on to your convictions until you are shown the truth.... Human nature, well, let's just say that we can be extremely stubborn. Take me, for example. I'm a nice guy - sometimes a little too nice - but, when I get the idea that I'm right and others are wrong I become very self-righteous. I confess that I'm not perfect (no one can claim to be), but sometimes I think I have the perfect solution.... Of course, I think the first steps towards finding a solution begin with an open mind....

debating politics is by its very nature is pointless

lets assume we were running a business and we were discussing how to properly manage things
the outcome of our discussions would determine the success or failure of the enterprise
inthat case there'd be a reason to debate

here nothing will ever make any difference in anything ever so by definition it is pointless
there is zero chance of changing anyone's preconceived notions of the world

I'm only here to get rewarded with likes failing that
I'll flame bait troll and collect infractions :tongue4:

Well, at least you're honest :)

I can tolerate stupidity up to a degree when it hinders communication. I can understand where they come from but if they cannot reciprocate it just gets tiring and pointless.

For instance if they resort to any debate fallacy that there is known by man today to cover their position, think they are right by using them, further use demeaning name calling to the opposite debater, then it is time to let go or even ignore. Alternatively it is nice to read what they say every once in a while. Sometimes they nail the issue with very simplistic words and direct approach which I find it to be nice.

Lastly all the answers in the poll are negative towards them. If you understand "irony" as an other member put it, then what might all these negative responses against stupid people have to do with you?

Ahh, finally someone with brains enough to have a decent conversation with....

It's quite simple - stupid cannot be changed, ignorance can (through education - be it self motivated learning or through an institution, etc.).... It seems that there are many stupid people on this site - no matter what evidence is presented to them proving their convoluted opinions otherwise, they will still adhere to false beliefs.... AND I'm not saying that just liberals are to blame for their lack of capacity to learn - there are plenty of conservatives whom prove obstinately obtuse as well... The real problem in this country is that there are too many problem creators and not enough problem solvers.... My father - whom in his prime was one of the best computer programmers in the country, taught me that. His point is that - well - politicians (for the most part) are idiots whom ARE the problem, not the solution. But that is perhaps getting off topic here...

The problem I see on boards like this is that no one wants to even listen or learn where the other side is coming from - the cotton remains in the ears, hence diarrhea of the mouth ensues..... I'm not saying I'm all that smart, either - I'm stupid enough to keep coming to this crappy site and expecting to change others' opinions....

Waste of freaking time - just remember that "the fool doth think he is wise, the wise man know himself to be a fool."

So, I admit it - I'm a fool, ok?

Hope that 'splains things a little better for everyone. And just remember this reality check - say what you want, but at least I think for myself. Furthermore, YOU DON'T know me!!!

Actually, I don't think its stupidity. I think its a side effect of over-application of persuasion science.

Humans are averse to feeling that they are wrong. There's an interesting TED talks about it.

PR pros know this, and use it against us. If they can foster a belief, they know this "quirk" will "protect" it.

This IS a debate site, not a discussion site. So people take a positition and defend it. Remember too that we have an "audience" while we debate. I'm usually "performing" for that audience, and not trying to change my opponents mind.

Personally, I discuss issues with pretty much anyone who engages, however, if the debate is simply a matter of the poster stating something as fact without basis nor without addressing counter arguments, I simply say thanks, have a good day, and that's it. One of the basic tell-tale signs you're wasting your time is when the personal insults start to fly and you can be damn sure if you react to a liberal's personal insult in kind, they will definitely report you for infractions. It's the classic liberal debating model - shut up or shut down views contrary to those of the collective.

...My father - whom [sic] in his prime was one of the best computer programmers in the country, taught me that...

trying-not-to-laugh-o.gif

I didn't even realize they ranked computer programmers. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom