• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do you know Jesus wasn't lying?

Do you have a video recording of your god saying anything? Really do you have anything more substantial than another human saying what they heard someone else say god supposedly say?
It’s not what I have but what you lack I’m afraid.

It’s not what I have but what you lack I’m afraid.

Everything that I believe has verifiable supporting evidence. I will believe in nothing that has no verifiable evidence.

Do you have verifiable evidence of your god?

Everything that I believe has verifiable supporting evidence. I will believe in nothing that has no verifiable evidence.

Do you have verifiable evidence of your god?
You have yet to receive the Holy Spirit which is in part a gift of faith.

You have yet to receive the Holy Spirit which is in part a gift of faith.

How can I verifiably tell the difference between “the Holy Spirit” and hearing voices in my head due to a mental illness?

It's a much more dangerous place in liberal Chicago, with all those shootings.

The Bible *says* there were witnesses.
:rolleyes:
I've highlighted what I was responding to: it's based on her assumption that all those things she mentioned were................. PROVEN TRUE!
All those things she mentioned were taken from the Bible!

WITNESSES would therefore play a major role in it, as they did (in the Bible)!
How can they be proven true - let alone know about any of those incidents - if there were no one to testify that they happened at all?

Lol - how would anyone know about Lazarus having died and raised from the dead and walking around, if no one saw what happened?
Perhaps, even Lazarus himself had no recollection that he died! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
It's a much more dangerous place in liberal Chicago, with all those shootings.
Despite all the religion down there huh....I'm sure a lot of people are asking God's help, where'd he go? Too busy helping white people decide what book their kids are allowed to read?

How can I verifiably tell the difference between “the Holy Spirit” and hearing voices in my head due to a mental illness?

Rational people would know.
Crazy people don't.................................UNLESS, the Holy Spirit makes him know.
If God wants to communicate with someone with mental issues, He'll make it possible.
You'll know.

Last edited:
Crazy people don't.................................UNLESS, the Holy Spirit makes him know.
If God wants to communicate with someone with mental issues, He'll make it possible.
You'll know.

Rational people don’t believe in things like invisible spirits that give you special knowledge.

Let's pretend for the sake of argument that it's somehow indisputably proven that the guy called Jesus Christ existed about 2000 years ago, and that Bible contains a perfectly accurate account of what he said and did. And let's assume for the sake of argument that all his miracles were not parlor tricks, but the result of actual magical, devine, or some other form of power or ability that he possessed.

With all that assumed to be true, how do you know he wasn't lying?
How do you prove that Jesus as the man-god actually existed in a way that doesn't reply on faith or religious belief would be the first step? He needs to exist in an objective manner before it can be determined if he lied or not.

You'll know.

Thanks for that bit of unintentional irony.

Maybe the question should be, How do you know Jesus was not telling the truth?

You'll know.
Right, because believing in God/s and spirits who communicate via telepathy is totally rational. >sarc<

About anything you believe he said that has any consequence to your life or, more to the point, your afterlife.

This isn't an LSAT question. This should be easy for you.
Predicated on how you framed the OP, it's a rational, logical response to your premises.
Not sure I understand --
  • Assume it's true He existed
  • Assume what's written about Him is true
  • Assume He did do all the miracles recorded of Him
How do we know He wasn't lying...... about what? 🤨
And I'm not the only one with the question.
Lying about what?
@Tlrmln : Basically, the premises you established in your OP are that everything about Jesus is true, His existence, what's written about Him, what He did (and presumably said) - all of it true. So if those are in fact the premises, what could He have possibly lied about? Do you see how your logic doesn't follow?

Let's take the first one - the truth about His existence. Frankly, one would have an easier time arguing the non-existence of Plato or Aristotle or Socrates since by comparison with Jesus, what's written of/by them is but a fraction of what we have about Jesus, be it secular or "religious."

But your question, I think, is more to the point of what Jesus said - since it's framed about Him being honest or being a liar.

Lies are largely predicated on things someone says. Jesus said a variety of things:
The bulk of His 'sayings' are teaching - like the sermon on the mount - "Blessed are the poor, the hungry, the thirsty..." etc. Are you wondering if those statements were lies?
The next chunk of his 'sayings' are comparative - "The kingdom of heaven is like..." and so forth. Is that what you're wondering about, whether those statements were lied, or how He could posssibly know what heaven was like?

We should pause here to consider how Jesus' teachings have been appraised, by non-Christian and Christian alike. Few, if any would argue His teachings are anything but utterly ethical, His moral compass absolute, and His example exemplary.

My guess however is that there is one statement Jesus made to which you are adamantly opposed: when asked, He admitted He was the Son of God; He claimed He was God's "Christ" (or Savior), He claimed He was equal with God - in effect claiming, "Yes, I am God." So lemme guess, that's where anything positive to which you might otherwise admit about Jesus takes a serious about face, right?

His admission then, His claim to being [the Son of] God is either true or it's a lie - right?

There are several quite reasonable responses to that. And you can take them or leave them, it's wholly up to you.

The first is, it was that admission, that claim that got Him executed. Pretty much everything He did and said up to that point evinced who He was, but it was for that overt admission that He was condemned to die.
Death by crucifixion was not a pleasant experience - it was in fact one of the most painful, excruciatingly horrific ways to die. One might therefore ask if Jesus knew He was lying, would He have endured the cross willingly? (One might argue here that He was nutso, a kook - but there's simply no evidence in either what He said, or how He lived His life to suggest He was anything but utterly sane).

The second is, His miracles - virtually everyone knew what He was doing in healing lepers, the blind, the lame, the deaf, etc. etc. that those acts were anything but natural. Many in fact came to believe on the basis of the amazing things they saw
Him do.

The third is like the first - His resurrection from the dead. I know many people struggle with that one - and so did His disciples, that is until He appeared to them, convincing them He had in fact been raised, that He was in fact, alive. Well over 500 people witnessed Him first hand after his death. But more to the point - practically every one of them suffered torture and death confessing their witness of Him being alive. One might question one or two or maybe a handful being willing to suffer such a fate - but 500+?

Do I think He was lying? No. I don't think there is any logical, rational cause for thinking such a thing.

How does anything become universally accepted as true?

Maybe the question should be, How do you know Jesus was not telling the truth?

We don’t. But short of verifiable evidence supporting his claims, we have no reason to believe him.

Let's pretend for the sake of argument that it's somehow indisputably proven that the guy called Jesus Christ existed about 2000 years ago, and that Bible contains a perfectly accurate account of what he said and did. And let's assume for the sake of argument that all his miracles were not parlor tricks, but the result of actual magical, devine, or some other form of power or ability that he possessed.

With all that assumed to be true, how do you know he wasn't lying?
About what?

Pretty much the same as asking "How do you know a politician wasn't lying?"

Jesus never wrote anything down. Others wrote what they thought they heard long after.
Therefore, it would not be Jesus lying, it would be the writers.

Your argument makes no sense whatsoever.

First you claim that Jesus really did exist and everything he did happened, so how can you possibly even state that he would be lying?

Logic 101 fail.

I didn't claim that. Learn to read. I said if we assume it to be true for the sake of argument, and what I listed as the "it" was very specific.

@Tlrmln : Basically, the premises you established in your OP are that everything about Jesus is true, His existence, what's written about Him, what He did (and presumably said) - all of it true. So if those are in fact the premises, what could He have possibly lied about?

Anything or everything he actually said. Pick one thing he supposedly said that matters to you, and answer my question. For example, about what happens to us in the afterlife if we do or do not behave a certain way.

It's not complicated.

Jesus never wrote anything down. Others wrote what they thought they heard long after.
Therefore, it would not be Jesus lying, it would be the writers.

Please reread the OP. I'm asking you to assume that the Bible accurately reflects what he said, and therefore to assume that he said it.

Anything or everything he actually said. Pick one thing he supposedly said that matters to you, and answer my question. For example, about what happens to us in the afterlife if we do or do not behave a certain way.

It's not complicated.
Actually, I think you know full well I answered your question.

Instead, you are choosing to pretend I didn't, merely to proceed with your transparent goal of ridiculing the Christian faith and Jesus - a choice I find neither wise, nor one in which I have the least bit of interest in participating.

But I will leave you with the opening word of His ministry - and very likely the one word above all others that truly gets to the heart of the matter in people's choices for/against Him, a word which likely drives the motive for this thread, and a word which I daresay gets just as deeply the goad of those who have willfully chosen not to believe Him:

"Repent."

Because the truth is, you know full well in your heart He's real; He's no fairy tale, no figment of people's imaginations; He's no myth. His being is clearly seen in the world and heavens around you, in creation itself - a fact, a truth which denial only feeds further foolishness - and that with eternal consequences. Think about that.

Back
Top Bottom