• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do you feel about homeowners protesting electric generating wind turbines?

How do you feel about homeowners protesting electric generating wind turbines?

• Wiind energy is great & complainers should adapt.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Wiind turbines are good & property owners should be justly compensated for decrease property value

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • I think Obama is an idiot

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I'd be upset if wind turbines went up interfering with my view

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • The wind turbines should not be allowed to disrupt views

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I think George W Bush ruined this nation

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
It sounds like we need to ban windows for the sake of the birds!

Incidentally, I broke down and resorted to Weed and Feed on my lawn this Spring. I had some invasive weeds in my grass. I've found 3 dead robins so far. The stuff should be banned, in my opinion. I'll never use it again.

Incidentally, I broke down and resorted to Weed and Feed on my lawn this Spring. I had some invasive weeds in my grass. I've found 3 dead robins so far. The stuff should be banned, in my opinion. I'll never use it again.

Did you see the numbers?

My landlady used to have my lawn sprayed with chemicals. They used to make my cats sick. The chemi lawn dude denied it. I made him stop spraying and my cats have not gotten sick since then.

It sounds like we need to ban windows for the sake of the birds!

no, we should ban birds for the sake of windows, i've had windows broken 3 times by suicidal magpies in breeding season, and the bastards love to swoop people too.

4775100-lg.jpg

they ain't exactly little birds.

Here.. map showing the best place for wind turbines.
The low population density of the Great Plains and 'The Big'Nuthin' that is west Texas sounds like a perfect fit to me..

plan_3tiermap.jpg

Studies from around the world show that the Great Plains states are home to the greatest wind energy potential in the world — by far.
The Department of Energy reports that 20% of America's electricity can come from wind. North Dakota alone has the potential to provide power for more than a quarter of the country. Today's wind turbines stand up to 410 feet tall, with blades that stretch 148 feet in length. The blades collect the wind's kinetic energy. In one year, a 3-megawatt wind turbine produces as much energy as 12,000 barrels of imported oil.
PickensPlan: The Plan

Last edited:
There is a windy area in this general area. The homeowners lost their fight against the wind turbines, and they are going up.

This is green energy compared to other sources. The turbines are immense and the homeowners object based on ascetic considerations. They value their view.

What do you think. This has been a huge controversy in these parts.

Where is "in these parts" that you are refering to? I'd be interested to read a local article about it if you have one.

no, we should ban birds for the sake of windows, i've had windows broken 3 times by suicidal magpies in breeding season, and the bastards love to swoop people too.

4775100-lg.jpg

they ain't exactly little birds.

Aw, they are cuuuuuuute.

Where is "in these parts" that you are refering to? I'd be interested to read a local article about it if you have one.

These parts are a good idea to leave undisclosed on a public forum. I'm sure that many areas experience similar challenges from property owners.

Man-made structure/technology
Associated bird deaths per year (U.S.)

Feral and domestic cats
Hundreds of millions [source: AWEA]

Power lines
130 million -- 174 million [source: AWEA]

Windows (residential and commercial)
100 million -- 1 billion [source: TreeHugger]

Pesticides
70 million [source: AWEA]

Automobiles
60 million -- 80 million [source: AWEA]

Lighted communication towers
40 million -- 50 million [source: AWEA]

Wind turbines
10,000 -- 40,000 [source: ABC]

HowStuffWorks "Do wind turbines kill birds?"
Ahh, but you've got to count those 130-174 mil from the powerlines fed by the wind turbines........ :mrgreen:

Screw birds. Have you ever thought to yourself "Man, where are all the birds? I sure wish there were more birds around."

No, you haven't.

Screw birds. Have you ever thought to yourself "Man, where are all the birds? I sure wish there were more birds around."

No, you haven't.
Which reminds me...

For awhile, the cable feed in my workplace had a channel that combined several security cams (alternating between 3, I think).

And one was of a rooftop with piles of pigeon crap and pigeons (from time to time) wandering around.

It was truly exciting

:mrgreen:

No, you haven't.

Actually, I have found myself wishing there more woodpeckers around.

Woodpeckers are just cool. Woodpeckers and hawks.

We've got one family of woodpeckers around here, and a few hawks. I don't see much of the hawks, though. The blue jays and crows keep ganging up on them.

If someone wants to put up a windmill that intrudes on another's field of view, or, worse, is close enough to his home to be heard, then that person has every freedom to lodge formal protest in the appropriate court.

He can also use this archaic legal device:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So, people have a Constitutional right to object to those dumb ass windmills.

No, you haven't.

Sure I have.

More peregrin falcons are always a plus in the urban environment, unless you like crapping pigeons.

Last edited:

No, you haven't.

Oh man, haven't you ever seen a humming bird? They are ultra cool:cool:

If someone wants to put up a windmill that intrudes on another's field of view, or, worse, is close enough to his home to be heard, then that person has every freedom to lodge formal protest in the appropriate court.

He can also use this archaic legal device:

So, people have a Constitutional right to object to those dumb ass windmills.

People have a Constitutional right to object to anything they want, but that doesn't give the government the authority to arbitrarily restrict the activities of a property owner on their own property.

You didn't buy the view, and if you weren't expecting a certain noise level from your neighbors to begin with then you should live in a cave.

Have we gotten any new developements?

Wind turbines are a failed technoledgy, and have no place in a neighborhood. They're an eyesore, a noise poluter, and do not genorate electriciy relyably.

Only from a tea bagging conservative.
Why do the European nations use these wind turbines?

Only from a tea bagging conservative.
Why do the European nations use these wind turbines?
Because they can be sold politically as environmentally friendly power sources, of course!

While wind turbines are much more environmentally-friendly than many other sources of energy, I can understand why some homeowners would object. Ignoring the functionality of the wind turbine for a second, and just think of it as any other eyesore. Of course the people who live nearby are going to object, since it could lower their property values. Are they spoiled rich folks? Yeah, perhaps. But I can still understand their point of view.

Fortunately, there are many parts of the country where people are eager for more jobs and actually desire wind turbines. There is a lot of open land in Oklahoma and Texas where property values are relatively low anyway, and people would love to have the wind energy industry set up shop in their town.

Thank you , Gabriel. If one picture says a thousand words, that video blows the phony "noise" argument out of the water with a million. I just do't get why these people have zero respect for what sort of planet we leave for future generations. Shame on them.

Back
Top Bottom