• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do you deal with stress?

What do you do to de-stress?

• Total voters

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Within the past year, I've undertaken a new job. This new job is one that is highly stressful - unlike any other job I've ever had. The only thing that keeps me there, is the fact that I absolutely love what I do (human services type of job working with developmentally disabled adults).

Nevertheless, I find myself not handling the stress very well.

I exercise regularly, but I still notice the stress taking a toll on my 'peace of mind' (so to speak).

So what I'd like to ask of the people here - what do you do to de-stress?

I tend to focus on my hobbies if I am stressed out. Also, I am good at compartmentalizing and leave stress in the situation (work stays at work) when I leave that situation.

Hobbies include:
Learning about computers/computing
Minecraft (a game which is basically an adult version of legos)
Sex
Learning about all sorts of stuff

Last edited:
I read a book with music playing really loud, completely block out the world for a while, or I just ignore what's causing me stress until I have to face it, which is probably the less psychologically healthy option. And masturbation helps. :mrgreen:

I read a book with music playing really loud, completely block out the world for a while, or I just ignore what's causing me stress until I have to face it, which is probably the less psychologically healthy option. And masturbation helps. :mrgreen:

a little jerk before work.

I build things and play video games. This weekend I built a doghouse for our great pyrenees

And masturbation helps. :mrgreen:

Yes, but how much is too much? :3oops:

I used to refinish antique furniture.. but that's gone by the wayside after working 50-60hrs/week. I need to probably cut back on hours, but wow... I can't imagine trying to get everything done in 40 hours a week. I need a place to do a primal scream.

No such thing as too much. :D

The masturbation should help with that.

:lamo

:naughty The only time that would be true was in the case of actual sex.. with a person!

This morning I am cleaning to relieve stress. I can also read, play computer games, visit friends/family, and spend time here on the boards.

Within the past year, I've undertaken a new job. This new job is one that is highly stressful - unlike any other job I've ever had. The only thing that keeps me there, is the fact that I absolutely love what I do (human services type of job working with developmentally disabled adults).

Nevertheless, I find myself not handling the stress very well.

I exercise regularly, but I still notice the stress taking a toll on my 'peace of mind' (so to speak).

So what I'd like to ask of the people here - what do you do to de-stress?

The first thing I do when I get home from work is strip off my clothes and take a nice hot shower. That, in and of itself, helps me to de-stress.

After drying off, I immediately put on clothes for comfort. Usually pajama pants and a t-shirt.

Then I go into my room, turn on the tv very low for noise, and check out my websites. The key there is the quiet. I put the closed captions on my tv so I can have the volume low and follow it by reading rather than my hearing it.

I also have a few hobbies. Most of them now involve the internet and checking websites. One hobby of mine is to do research on various subjects on wikipedia or to browse through TVtropes.

I also play video games when I get the free time and the inclination to do so. I also try to carry some kind of book with me to read, such as when I'm in my "library," or when I go out to town and eat by myself I'll carry it so I can read it as I wait for my food.

One thing that you might want to consider to de-stress is, if you can, to take a regular bubble bath. Go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, pick up some bath beads or bath crystals (or whatever they use nowadays), prepare the bubble bath, and have a good long soak. Getting some candles that have the same scent as the bubble bath and having them lit while the lights are off is optional but recommended.

Slip in, take a deep breath in, let it out slow, and relax for a minimum of half-an-hour.

If you find it difficult to "let your mind go" while it has nothing to do as you just sit there, then consider getting an mp3 player. You can either go the hippy route and play new age music, natural sounds (the sounds of rain, or natural forest sounds, for instance). If that's too passive and "boring" then instead you can download audiobooks and let your mind listen to those as you lay in the tub and relax. The only caveat is that it can't be anything political, or any other subject that may point out all the things that invokes negative feelings in you. Rather, consider listening to something positive, or more neutral. Educational audiobooks that helps you learn something new, or poetry that helps to invoke the emotions you're wanting to feel while relaxing. This is a luxury that I recommend doing at least once a week.

Another thing that you might want to consider doing with your family is to have a "household quiet time." I know every family is different, but just having the noise of other people in the same close space around on a constant basis can inherently cause stress. Our brains weren't designed to take in stimulation on a constant basis.

Therefore, try to get see if you can get the rest of your family to follow some kind of "quiet time" rule. By this, I mean have a certain portion of the day in which the tv and the stereos are turned down low or even turned off altogether. Decrease the noise and stimulation level in the whole house. Maybe do this for the whole house for about an hour in the afternoon before letting it come back up. People need stimulation of their senses, but people also need rest from stimulation too. Maybe try to do this once a day, but it may be difficult since it requires cooperation from the rest of your family, but there's no harm in asking.

Take out some time in the day *just* for you, where you can relax and be alone by yourself. I think one of the biggest sources of stress for a person is other people. So I limit how much I talk to other people. I have some friends I call on the phone just to talk and shoot the ****, but that's only like 5 people. I don't generally talk to anyone else. That way, I avoid getting caught up in other people's drama. So if you're getting caught up in other people's drama, try to take yourself out of it. Let people vent to you, but don't get involved. I don't know if that's really an issue with you or not, but it's a good way to avoid stress you don't need anyways.

Lower your activity load. I don't know how much you do every day, but you may be trying to do too much. So cut down the number of things you're trying to get done every day. This may include hobbies.

I heard this great thing on a radio show about vacations. They talked about how people live busy day-to-day lives rushing all over the place for work, and then when they go on vacation they try to cram in all the things they want to do for fun in those few days, and when it's over they get back to the daily rush. I don't do that. When I go on vacation, I don't make any plans. I just go somewhere far away and look things over and take my time. I have some family who lives in a big city and I will go and stay with them some weekends. They will go out and meet with their friends late at night, but I'll usually stay in their place and just lay on their couch and watch their tv and relax that way. Sometimes it irks them that I don't go out with them so much, but I want to relax, so it's fine with me.

So I guess what I'm saying is is that just because you go out and have fun doesn't mean that you're going out and relaxing. Fun activities can be just as stressful as working. And while it may be boring to sit and do nothing, it gives your body and mind a chance to relax and rest, and do so with a minimum expenditure of energy or intake of stimulation.

And if you aren't having that much fun, then try to give your kids more responsibilities around the house. I don't know if you have, but teach them how to use the washer, the dryer, and how to cook. And let them use those skills for the rest of the house. Every household responsibility you give to them is one less household responsibility you have to deal with. And that will help you to de-stress while giving your kids necessary household skills.

Another good way to de-stress is to learn to vent. You might feel angry or frustrated or some similar negative emotion, but you are rational enough to know that you can't really do anything about the issue that's making you feel that way. Even so, it's important to let those emotions out, to vent them.

A lot of people go to a counselor for this. They aren't crazy - they just need to let out a bunch of stuff confidentially that they can't let out to their friends or family. That might cost a bit too much, so another alternative is to write in a journal or even a blog all the stuff that irks you and making you feel those negative emotions that adds to your stress. That way, you can vent and let it out instead of keeping it inside. An option tangential to that is to write some kind of fictional story that relates to the things that irk you. Or try your hand at poetry, or songwriting. That can help you vent as well.

Those are all the things I can think of to generally de-stress. :) I hope these are useful ideas for you.

Anything that makes you feel accomplished in some manner works great. If you get to absolutely pwn noobs while doing it on like COD4 Mod 2, all the better haha

Naps...music, leisure (serious) reading...

But most of the time, I don't get de-stressed very well. My stomach also agrees.

My hobbies are getting into audio gear, such as headphones, audio compression formats....watching many films, keeping up with the consumer technology formats that are important to us (DVD, Blu-ray, 3D, etc.). Then, as you know, I have my own political and intellectual history research that I have continued for many years.

Last edited:
I play with my dog.

He's the best stress reducer I can think of.

Another good way to de-stress is to learn to vent. You might feel angry or frustrated or some similar negative emotion, but you are rational enough to know that you can't really do anything about the issue that's making you feel that way. Even so, it's important to let those emotions out, to vent them.

A lot of people go to a counselor for this. They aren't crazy - they just need to let out a bunch of stuff confidentially that they can't let out to their friends or family. That might cost a bit too much, so another alternative is to write in a journal or even a blog all the stuff that irks you and making you feel those negative emotions that adds to your stress. That way, you can vent and let it out instead of keeping it inside. An option tangential to that is to write some kind of fictional story that relates to the things that irk you. Or try your hand at poetry, or songwriting. That can help you vent as well.

Venting works great, though if you vent at someone, and they think you're actually mad at them...it can come to bite you in the ass lol

I pray and look towards the future. I can handle stressful situations and an intense workload very well. It's when it's all said and done that I crash. When I crash I turn to God and focus on my future in the medical field and to achieve my dream of becoming a clinical pharmacist specializing in oncology.

I light a candle (usually vanilla), turn on a relaxing CD (usually Native American instumental), strip down and climb into a piping hot bubble bath. I completely clear my head of all thoughts and just let it all go.

The best stress relief is a game of backyard football. Beyond that, debating politics works well for me outside of election seasons. Praying helps too, but only if you know God personally. Otherwise I would imagine that would only create even more angst.

Back
Top Bottom