• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do you carry while driving?

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
So I am waiting for my concealed carry permit and have been doing some holster research. I am curious how those of you who carry do so while driving a car. I carry a simple Ruger LCR. When driving I would prefer to keep it on my person, keep it concealed, and be able to reach it relatively easily.

So I am waiting for my concealed carry permit and have been doing some holster research. I am curious how those of you who carry do so while driving a car. I carry a simple Ruger LCR. When driving I would prefer to keep it on my person, keep it concealed, and be able to reach it relatively easily.

TBH....it is VERY unlikely you will encounter a situation where you will need deadly force.
Much more likely that you might encounter a heated exchange via road rage etc in which case a very good pepper spray might be a good line of defense.
Always better to avoid a conflict whenever possible of course.

That said, if driving short distances I carry on my right sides with an inside the pants holster. Long distances that gets uncomfortable so I place my weapon in it's closed holster underneath the seat or in the dash box.

Think cross-draw, works even with larger framed handguns. Your Welcome:mrgreen:

TBH....it is VERY unlikely you will encounter a situation where you will need deadly force.
Much more likely that you might encounter a heated exchange via road rage etc in which case a very good pepper spray might be a good line of defense.
Always better to avoid a conflict whenever possible of course.

That said, if driving short distances I carry on my right sides with an inside the pants holster. Long distances that gets uncomfortable so I place my weapon in it's closed holster underneath the seat or in the dash box.

Your preaching to the choir on the avoiding conflict thing. I prefer avoidance. If that fails then de-escalation. While I am very proficient with a sidearm, I don't "like" them. I'm not an enthusiast my any means. But I view it like a seatbelt. It is protection in the event of a worst case scenario.

Your preaching to the choir on the avoiding conflict thing. I prefer avoidance. If that fails then de-escalation. While I am very proficient with a sidearm, I don't "like" them. I'm not an enthusiast my any means. But I view it like a seatbelt. It is protection in the event of a worst case scenario.

Agreed.

But I have no "dislike" of firearms. Part of my life.
To me they are a tool....but also a sport.

Ruger is a good pistol. My wife has an LC9. VERY accurate compact.

To be honest I set mine on the seat.

I carry a Springfield XD .45

Under your left thigh barrel out at an angle so you can open your legs and get hold of it if needed and it is not visible. All you have to do is lift you leg a bit reach down and out it comes. You might be able to wedge it in a holster between the seat and parking break depending on the vehicle.

High ride holster and a short barrel also work. Not much good with 4" or longer barrel.

Under your left thigh barrel out at an angle so you can open your legs and get hold of it if needed and it is not visible. All you have to do is lift you leg a bit reach down and out it comes. You might be able to wedge it in a holster between the seat and parking break depending on the vehicle.

High ride holster and a short barrel also work. Not much good with 4" or longer barrel.

I have heard others mention the gun under the thigh one. I would be concerned about a possible dangerous situation in a police traffic stop if one of the officers does see it before you hand over your CCW permit.

I have heard others mention the gun under the thigh one. I would be concerned about a possible dangerous situation in a police traffic stop if one of the officers does see it before you hand over your CCW permit.

If he shoots you for simply having a gun on your person then he is a complete retard and should be thrown in jail.

If he shoots you for simply having a gun on your person then he is a complete retard and should be thrown in jail.

True. But that won't be much comfort as I am bleeding out. :)

I just set it on the seat. But that works.

I just set it on the seat. But that works.

Just setting it on the set can have it go flying when slamming on the breaks or in a collision.

Don't over complicate things. You'll be getting into and out of the car all day long and won't want to be messing around changing rigs or reclipping your holster. Just carry IWB, strong side and leave the damned thing there.

I just strong side open carry.

Well something I can agree with you on. I carry an XD .45 tac and it sits on the on my shoulder in a harness. It is an under the shoulder harness with the weapon facing back and opposite my right arm for an easy cross draw.

Last edited:

With all the respect in the world, Henrin...because you might have been trying for a response like this with humor in mind:

That is either the dumbest thing ever written in DP...

...the dumbest thing ever written in any Internet forum...

...or both.

I vote for "both."

With all the respect in the world, Henrin...because you might have been trying for a response like this with humor in mind:

That is either the dumbest thing ever written in DP...

...the dumbest thing ever written in any Internet forum...

...or both.

I vote for "both."

I'm not sure where a man that never debates anyone and constantly says stupid **** gets off with those kind of comments.

Well something I can agree with you on. I carry an XD .45 tac and it sits on the on my shoulder in a harness. It is an under the shoulder harness with the weapon facing back and opposite my right arm for an easy cross draw.

I'd carry like that but I don't ever wear a jacket. I'm a concealer. I can't draw it from my hip holster while sitting, and it's been known to hit the floor board if I cram it between the seats. Glove box is out of reach. I may invest or build a figure 8 just for road trips. I never think of the figure 8

Btw my XD is absolutely fantastic I got it for 450 second hand, but that gun is on par with my Sig.

I'm not sure where a man that never debates anyone and constantly says stupid **** gets off with those kind of comments.

Neither do I.

Who ya talkin' about?

I'd carry like that but I don't ever wear a jacket. I'm a concealer. I can't draw it from my hip holster while sitting, and it's been known to hit the floor board if I cram it between the seats. Glove box is out of reach. I may invest or build a figure 8 just for road trips. I never think of the figure 8

Btw my XD is absolutely fantastic I got it for 450 second hand, but that gun is on par with my Sig.

I am feeling you on this one. Got rid of my Glock and kept the XD. I don't carry it unless I am on a road trip. Like you in Florida, unless I am in the car with AC or in the cooler weather up north, I can wear a windbreaker. Most of the time I carry my little Tec 9 or my .380 because I have a pocket holster for them. I can literally just throw them in my pocket and go.

Carrying in the car is easy and can be comfortable with the correct setup. Carrying for a big guy like myself when unable to wear a jacket is so damn uncomfortable. So I have to carry a small caliber. If I could though... It would be my XD all the time every time.

I am feeling you on this one. Got rid of my Glock and kept the XD. I don't carry it unless I am on a road trip. Like you in Florida, unless I am in the car with AC or in the cooler weather up north, I can wear a windbreaker. Most of the time I carry my little Tec 9 or my .380 because I have a pocket holster for them. I can literally just throw them in my pocket and go.

Carrying in the car is easy and can be comfortable with the correct setup. Carrying for a big guy like myself when unable to wear a jacket is so damn uncomfortable. So I have to carry a small caliber. If I could though... It would be my XD all the time every time.

I have some massive hands and thus have difficulty with the little guns. I bought my mom an lc9 perfect gin for her, but she's nervous about it and wants me to shoot it first. The first time the slide didn't fall all the way back and thus snapped shut before the next round could feed. So I choked down the grip having just my middle finger rapped around the handle and the slide dragged across the top of my hand ripping it open. Luckily I hid it from mom before she panicked.

I'm considering a bond arms two shooter, it's just so awkward to reload. If they broke downward like the Scofield revolvers I wouldn't hesitate.

I have some massive hands and thus have difficulty with the little guns. I bought my mom an lc9 perfect gin for her, but she's nervous about it and wants me to shoot it first. The first time the slide didn't fall all the way back and thus snapped shut before the next round could feed. So I choked down the grip having just my middle finger rapped around the handle and the slide dragged across the top of my hand ripping it open. Luckily I hid it from mom before she panicked.

I'm considering a bond arms two shooter, it's just so awkward to reload. If they broke downward like the Scofield revolvers I wouldn't hesitate.

I have medium sized hands and use magazine extensions for all my pistols including the XD. Otherwise it would be hard to fire the smaller weapons! Some of the small guns are just too small. So I can see how that would be a problem.

My cheap Kel Tec PF 9 is great for conceal carry.

GPF9GN_1.jpg

As you can see in the pic it has the upgraded magazine. I like it best because it is cheap and it works. If the police take it as evidence, I can just go buy another cheap.

I have medium sized hands and use magazine extensions for all my pistols including the XD. Otherwise it would be hard to fire the smaller weapons! Some of the small guns are just too small. So I can see how that would be a problem.

My cheap Kel Tec PF 9 is great for conceal carry.

GPF9GN_1.jpg

As you can see in the pic it has the upgraded magazine. I like it best because it is cheap and it works. If the police take it as evidence, I can just go buy another cheap.

Just to give you some perspective, that Israeli .50 cal pistol is a perfect fit for my hands.

I'd own one but I don't want a second job to afford ammo.

Just to give you some perspective, that Israeli .50 cal pistol is a perfect fit for my hands.

I'd own one but I don't want a second job to afford ammo.

DAMN! You must have some like basket ball player hands! LMAO!

Back
Top Bottom