• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do we get US politics under control again?

craig

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I think US politics have become dangerous to our country. Media is amplifying the voices of the extreme left and right. How can we govern from the center again?

I was wondering the same thing, Craig. Politics has gotten so partisan and mean-spirited that people seem to want what's good for their political party instead of what's good for the country. It's sad.

How do we get US politics under control again?

we don't. if we're fantasizing, i wouldn't mind seeing political parties banned. Washington warned us and predicted our current situation.

It's fine as it is.

So they elected a turd, it happens.

The turd will be expelled in a few days. The system works.

It's good to test the system every 100 years or so to make sure it's functioning properly.

And it is functioning properly.

I was wondering the same thing, Craig. Politics has gotten so partisan and mean-spirited that people seem to want what's good for their political party instead of what's good for the country. It's sad.

What's been tough for me is seeing the way out of all this. History has taught us that national threats tend to unite the nation, and I thought perhaps the pandemic would be a unifying moment in that it's a common threat. Obviously I was wrong. I'm not sure what else will unify a country which seems to have two irreconcilable views on it's future direction. It's hard for me because I'm an optimist.

What's been tough for me is seeing the way out of all this. History has taught us that national threats tend to unite the nation, and I thought perhaps the pandemic would be a unifying moment in that it's a common threat. Obviously I was wrong. I'm not sure what else will unify a country which seems to have two irreconcilable views on it's future direction. It's hard for me because I'm an optimist.

I agree, El, and it puts me in an awkward position--that is, almost hopping for a crisis that will unite us. Weird.

I think US politics have become dangerous to our country. Media is amplifying the voices of the extreme left and right. How can we govern from the center again?

We live in Rwanda now.
If you want to know how this ultimately plays out, look up Rwanda's history because Team Trump has become the Hutu clan and the rest of us are the Tutsis.

Vote for other than the expected.

I agree, El, and it puts me in an awkward position--that is, almost hopping for a crisis that will unite us. Weird.

Maybe if alien colonizers show up and decide to take over we might have a shot at common purpose. We tend to do well with more direct threats; the kind that have faces and we can easily blame.

I think it has to do with social media...mobiles have FB, Twitter, Instagram and Google that are training us to be biased...to believe that the other side are dumb... to be conspiracy theorists. The media which encompasses this are playing along for ads as well.

I've recommended several times... take a look at The Social Dilemma on Netflix. It's not against Social Media at all but it shows what is going on. It has to do with AI but it isn't really on purpose. Very enlightening to the point of OMG.

Unsure what to do about it because it is going to get worse.

The left media doesn't even cover the news, they just play propaganda for the left. Want to know the biggest problem it's the media lying to Americans. A close second is the insane B**** running the House, that impotent cry baby Schumer and lying pieces like Adam Schiff. NOt going to get better while they are in charge of their party.

Triple the number of seats in the US House of Representatives.

Maybe if alien colonizers show up and decide to take over we might have a shot at common purpose. We tend to do well with more direct threats; the kind that have faces and we can easily blame.

I once read a story about that, El.

A giant, menacing space alien landed on earth and demonstrated great powers of destruction. The alien then left, saying that he and his fellow aliens would come back soon and take over earth.

Because of that, all the earth's superpowers began working together toward the common goal of defending earth against the future invasion. The Russian air force was working right next to the U.S. The Chinese army was training with British soldiers. Everybody began to realize they could work in harmony with earth other.

Meanwhile, a lone scientist was melting down the phony alien he had secretly created. It had served its purpose--to unite humanity into one.

It's fine as it is.

It's good to test the system every 100 years or so to make sure it's functioning properly.

The better question is this. What if the president who you willingly label "a turd" is reelected? Will you finally accept that which you cannot change?

The antiTrumps are responsible for most of the division the last four. They should look to themselves if they want things to function properly.

It's fine as it is.

You are blind to the reality of the OP. This started before Trump even came into the picture and it will not end if Trump loses the election.

We live in Rwanda now.
If you want to know how this ultimately plays out, look up Rwanda's history because Team Trump has become the Hutu clan and the rest of us are the Tutsis.
Posts like yours only shows what the problem really is, people like you.

Vote for other than the expected.
Unfortunately, first off, other has no chance of winning. But, assuming that more people did vote other, the others to vote for are worse than the current two. Hell, Kanye West is on my ballot. Should I vote for him?

Get off social media. Read the news to inform yourself not as a form of daylong entertainment.

Thats a good start.

Edit: Ive done both and am much happier and feel like my views are again my own and based on my actual values. I do love politics which is why I visit this site.

I think it has to do with social media...mobiles have FB, Twitter, Instagram and Google that are training us to be biased...to believe that the other side are dumb... to be conspiracy theorists. The media which encompasses this are playing along for ads as well.

I've recommended several times... take a look at The Social Dilemma on Netflix. It's not against Social Media at all but it shows what is going on. It has to do with AI but it isn't really on purpose. Very enlightening to the point of OMG.

Unsure what to do about it because it is going to get worse.
Exactly. Social media has actually caused the US Politics destruction. Not only them themselves but they are used as a platform by enemy countries such as Russia, China, North Korea, and Iran.

Vote for moderates and educate people on how to spot propaganda.

We live in Rwanda now.
Except that if you rush me with a machete I put several ventilation holes in ya. No, I don't think we are at that point yet and, other than a couple of isolated cases, we won't.
Never forget folks, while most of us are polarized over this election the reality is Most Americans are actually very moderate, and yes the Nation will get back to our normal lives again and the biggest topic of the day will be what we consider to be mundane in todays atmosphere. The American People have never suffered extremes from either side for long and they won't this time, hence why people are voting in record numbers, most are tired of winning, especially this years kinda winning. I believe a few days after the election there will be a huge sigh of relief across the Nation and we will go back to our normal lives, which firstly means starting to deal with the pandemic and getting back on track to recovery.

Reactions: lwf
Unfortunately, first off, other has no chance of winning. But, assuming that more people did vote other, the others to vote for are worse than the current two. Hell, Kanye West is on my ballot. Should I vote for him?
It is why I believe we need to add None of the Above to the ballot, and if 50% of the country votes that way then we have to start over with two entirely new candidates in a 6 month election process.

Posts like yours only shows what the problem really is, people like you.

You should know by now that there's a pretty good number of anti-Trumps who see themselves as victims. ;)

I did.

Back
Top Bottom