• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Do We Get Rid of DACA?

jonny5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Given Trumps offer to not try to rescind DACA for three years if the Dems agree to border control funding, it leads me to an interesting question about the status of DACA. How do we get rid of such that the court wont object?

Lets assume DHS actually did have the authority to defer deportation of hundreds of thousands of illegals (via DHS memo, not Executive Order). And that DHS recision 5 years later was arbitrary and thus a violation of the Administrative Procedure Act as the court claimed.

Ok, so the court wont let it die, and the SC wont hear the appeal. The congress wont pass any laws legalizing the "Dreamers". How do we then get rid of the policy such that it is not done in an arbitrary way? Propose to rescind it on valid grounds, have hearings for 6 months, and then do it? Would the 9th circus allow that? What if we just stop taking new applicants and allow the existing to continue staying here? Would the courts allow no new deferments?

Given Trumps offer to not try to rescind DACA for three years if the Dems agree to border control funding, it leads me to an interesting question about the status of DACA. How do we get rid of such that the court wont object?

Lets assume DHS actually did have the authority to defer deportation of hundreds of thousands of illegals (via DHS memo, not Executive Order). And that DHS recision 5 years later was arbitrary and thus a violation of the Administrative Procedure Act as the court claimed.

Ok, so the court wont let it die, and the SC wont hear the appeal. The congress wont pass any laws legalizing the "Dreamers". How do we then get rid of the policy such that it is not done in an arbitrary way? Propose to rescind it on valid grounds, have hearings for 6 months, and then do it? Would the 9th circus allow that? What if we just stop taking new applicants and allow the existing to continue staying here? Would the courts allow no new deferments?
Replace Ginsburg and Breyer with conservative justices

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just get rid of it. It's unconstitutional, anyway.

DACA will be in force until Democrats are firmly in control of all levers of government. Republicans will never do anything but kick the can down the road. If the Republicans wanted to do anything about immigration they would have done it when they had control of all the levers. It doesn't serve Republican interests to do any thing about immigration other than hinder all forms of it.

I can agree with the dubious way in which it came about, but my question would be why we want to get rid of it?

Many of the Dreamers have pretty much spent their entire lives here...this is essentially the only country they’ve ever known.

Why would you want to send them back to a country they don’t know and have never really experienced?

(I know that doesn’t fit all the Dreamers...they can talked about in a future discussion).

Trump should ignore the courts. They have no jurisdiction to rule on the matter. Maybe SCOTUS, but I would question their authority to compel the executive to continue a previous executive ‘policy’.

I can agree with the dubious way in which it came about, but my question would be why we want to get rid of it?

Many of the Dreamers have pretty much spent their entire lives here...this is essentially the only country they’ve ever known.

Why would you want to send them back to a country they don’t know and have never really experienced?

(I know that doesn’t fit all the Dreamers...they can talked about in a future discussion).

If I found out someone was living in my house rent free for decades, I’d still kick them out. It has nothing to do with them, or what they know, or what’s comfortable for them. Screw them. It’s about the people they are and have been victimizing. Just because some might be OK with being victimized doesn’t mean the rest of us have to be OK with it.

It fits the lion’s share of them though. The average age of DACA recipients as of last year that were in the program was 1st grade age upon being brought here.

If I found out someone was living in my house rent free for decades, I’d still kick them out. It has nothing to do with them, or what they know, or what’s comfortable for them. Screw them. It’s about the people they are and have been victimizing. Just because some might be OK with being victimized doesn’t mean the rest of us have to be OK with it.

Who have DACA recipients been victimizing?

Replace Ginsburg and Breyer with conservative justices

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you for helping demonstrate the obvious already known-fact that any conservative braying about "originalist" vs. "activist" judges is lying out both corners of his ass and in fact really just wants justices who work the political results his ideology demands.

Trump should ignore the courts. They have no jurisdiction to rule on the matter. Maybe SCOTUS, but I would question their authority to compel the executive to continue a previous executive ‘policy’.

What you just posted is that...

One politician should ignore the law and courts.

Would you say the same thing about Hillary? Or a criminal?

You should look up "Adverse Possession." There is a reason why for centuries courts have sided with squatters in long term situations. You may think you are entitled to do as you please to anyone who happens to step foot on your legal property, but the reality is that their human rights far outweigh your property rights. And that's how it should be.

Lets assume DHS actually did have the authority to defer deportation

Assume?

Anyone who doesn't know about the constant use of prosecutorial and executive discretion in this country by state and federal officials alike has nothing to say on this subject.

You should look up "Adverse Possession." There is a reason why for centuries courts have sided with squatters in long term situations. You may think you are entitled to do as you please to anyone who happens to step foot on your legal property, but the reality is that their human rights far outweigh your property rights. And that's how it should be.

Adverse possession is about knowing abandonment of property rights by the owner, not a placement of "human rights" above property rights.

Adverse possession is about knowing abandonment of property rights by the owner, not a placement of "human rights" above property rights.

Not necessarily. A property need not have been knowingly abandoned. All that's required is that the squatter have lived there uninterrupted without permission for the minimum statutory time. And the reason why that law exists is because it is assumed in those cases that the squatter has through constant care made the property more of a home to herself than the legal owner has to himself.

I'm not suggesting the law applies to Dreamer cases, but the reason for it does.

In theory, since it was implemented via executive order, not legislation, it could also be repealed via executive order. However, we have certain activists in the judiciary who are twisting the laws to give their benefactors on the left a reason to keep inviting them to cocktail parties

Not necessarily. A property need not have been knowingly abandoned. All that's required is that the squatter have lived there uninterrupted without permission for the minimum statutory time. And the reason why that law exists is because it is assumed in those cases that the squatter has through constant care made the property more of a home to herself than the legal owner has to himself.

I'm not suggesting the law applies to Dreamer cases, but the reason for it does.

Yeah I just love being told I'm wrong when I know for a fact I'm right. Love it. Fine, I'll dig out my old property law textbook: Here's part of the opening explanatory paragraph (I'm not going through the whole 50 pages of caselaw snippets):

"An unprivileged entry on property possessed by another is a trespass. When, however, one possesses another's property in a manner that is exclusive, visible ("open and notorious"), continuous, and without the owner's permission ("adverse or hostile") for a period defined by state statute, the rules in force transfer title from the title holder (the "true" or "record" owner) to the adverse possessor. If possession lasts for more than the period defined by the relevant statute of limitations, the owner is barred from bringing an action in ejectment against the possessor."

So, yes, it is about knowing abandonment of property rights, and no, it has nothing to do with "human rights".

I'm not paging through the next 50 pages of caselaw snippets because I now I am 100% correct. The only variations you'll find are in quirks about specific state laws. But yes, KNOWING. Or if you like "visible ("open and notorious")"

They were brought here, by and large, as small kids, by their parents.

They have been hard-working and are not “victimizing” anyone.

Ridiculous to say they’re “not American” when America is all they’ve known.

If you were born in New York City, but only lived there a day and then spent the rest of your life in Idaho, would you really say you were a New Yorker?

Every American Citizen and legal resident.

In what regard? Can you expound on this? The DACA recipients that are currently serving in the Military, for example. Let's start there. How are these young men and women serving in uniform victimizing every American and legal resident?

Because its against the law. It says that anyone who is brought here as a child and manages to escape notice for long enough can apply for deportation deferment. Is that really a policy we need or want to have on the books forever? No one is saying send them back. Theyre saying make their status permanent through congressional law making.

Back
Top Bottom