• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do we "Fix" the LEO crisis?

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
There is a lot of discussion on the "problems" with law enforcement today. So I have to ask, what exactly do YOU think the problems are? And what do you think are some realistic long term solutions to these problems? Can you hash that thought out into something detailed?

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

Yes, there is a possible solution, but please understand, it is ONLY my stupid and UNinformed ideas on the subject. So heavy use for considering the source is recommended.

OK...Problems with law enforcement, and how to fix them.

Get rid of the inner city amoral and sociopathic young black thugs that roam at will and destroy at will. They commit over 70% of all inner city crimes, and also feel it their obligation to kill any young black kids that just might be good at math, spelling, reading, the arts or sciences.

They are the reason LEO's are so trigger happy. These thugs only think about themselves and what they want in the here and now, with no thought as to the consequences or aftermath of their actions.

This is the 800 pound gorilla in the room absolutely no white person will address, and no black person will admit to.

If you were to wave a magic wand and transport 100% of them to a distant planet, the crime statistics in the US would be on par with Norway or Switzerland.

These creatures are a vicious animal of our own creation. When back in the 60's we decided to "feed the bears" and ensure they never stopped sucking on the government teat. LBJ was quoted as saying, " I'll have these n____rs voting Democrat for the next 200 years "....if they passed all of the welfare programs he wanted. They passed, and it has happened. What you have now is a complete destruction of the black family unit where a large percentage of black kids have no idea who their fathers are. Yet their mothers keep getting paid to pop out kids. Just watch one episode of Maury.

These kids growing up with no sense of right and wrong, and no male role model will get you the creatures that roam the inner cities at present.

The police have become quick on the trigger because of it and them. Contrary to popular press, NO ONE in law enforcement likes or wants to kill another person....but they HAVE become trigger happy because of these creatures of our own creation.

How do you fix it.

1. Stop it at its source. Quit paying for more moms to have more inner city kids that will be either victims or perpetrators of crime.
2. Quit making social welfare an open ended system. Once on, then there should also be a STOP date. That date can be flexible, but it needs to be there.
3. For those children already wandering aimlessly in fear, have a safe place they can go to, that will also be nurturing and helpful to them.
4. CRACK is the bane and death angel of the inner cities. Put dealers of CRACK off on a special island with few luxuries like normal prison has. An American Devil's Island, if you want to call it that.
5. Quit making the "gangsta" lifestyle something to look up to. A kid who sees a "gangsta" with a nice car, beautiful women, and really good clothes is only a draw to that lifestyle. Then without a role model in their life, they will be sucked into it at a very young age, as many of them are.

This is not really a POLICE issue, it is an inner city thug issue. An issue no one wants to do a damned thing about, and have not for decades.

Last edited:
Yes, there is a possible solution, but please understand, it is ONLY my stupid and UNinformed ideas on the subject. So heavy use for considering the source is recommended.

OK...Problems with law enforcement, and how to fix them.

Get rid of the inner city amoral and sociopathic young black thugs that roam at will and destroy at will. They commit over 70% of all inner city crimes, and also feel it their obligation to kill any young black kids that just might be good at math, spelling, reading, the arts or sciences.

They are the reason LEO's are so trigger happy. These thugs only think about themselves and what they want in the here and now, with no thought as to the consequences or aftermath of their actions.

This is the 800 pound gorilla in the room absolutely no white person will address, and no black person will admit to.

If you were to wave a magic wand and transport 100% of them to a distant planet, the crime statistics in the US would be on par with Norway or Switzerland.

These creatures are a vicious animal of our own creation. When back in the 60's we decided to "feed the bears" and ensure they never stopped sucking on the government teat. LBJ was quoted as saying, " I'll have these n____rs voting Democrat for the next 200 years "....if they passed all of the welfare programs he wanted. They passed, and it has happened. What you have now is a complete destruction of the black family unit where a large percentage of black kids have no idea who their fathers are. Yet their mothers keep getting paid to pop out kids. Just watch one episode of Maury.

These kids growing up with no sense of right and wrong, and no male role model will get you the creatures that roam the inner cities at present.

The police have become quick on the trigger because of it and them. Contrary to popular press, NO ONE in law enforcement likes or wants to kill another person....but they HAVE become trigger happy because of these creatures of our own creation.

How do you fix it.

1. Stop it at its source. Quit paying for more moms to have more inner city kids that will be either victims or perpetrators of crime.
2. Quit making social welfare an open ended system. Once on, then there should also be a STOP date. That date can be flexible, but it needs to be there.
3. For those children already wandering aimlessly in fear, have a safe place they can go to, that will also be nurturing and helpful to them.
4. CRACK is the bane and death angel of the inner cities. Put dealers of CRACK off on a special island with few luxuries like normal prison has. An American Devil's Island, if you want to call it that.
5. Quit making the "gangsta" lifestyle something to look up to. A kid who sees a "gangsta" with a nice car, beautiful women, and really good clothes is only a draw to that lifestyle. Then without a role model in their life, they will be sucked into it at a very young age, as many of them are.

This is not really a POLICE issue, it is an inner city thug issue. An issue no one wants to do a damned thing about, and have not for decades.

You better don your OBA and get into battle dress.

You have a mass conflag coming your way. ;)

You better don your OBA and get into battle dress.

You have a mass conflag coming your way. ;)

Condition Zebra set throughout the ship. All stations manned and ready.

I should have highlighted the part were I said no white person will address this point, and no black person will admit this point.

It is definitely not PC, but it is also an inconvenient truth we will have to deal with if we ever expect to make any headway against CRIME.

CRIME is not some abstract idea to discuss, but instead, CRIME has a face, a name, and live amongst us.

CRIME is a solvable problem that can be brought way down and has been brought down, but first we have to look at it with a clear and unobstructed view.

Obama chose to look the other way in his very own hood. Turning his back on it as he played golf....but he only did what everyone else also did.

The root of crime in this country is the inner city thug. Eliminate the cause of this, and CRIME can be brought way down. The cops are way too trigger happy because of their sociopathic ways.

It is because of this, a whole lot of innocent black men were also shot by officers. If they only have a split second to decide if some sociopathic killer will kill them, they will pull the trigger ifirst and foremost.

It is these inner city thugs that have made things the way they are.

2,283 shootings in just one town alone this year so far, with 78.4% of the victims being black. Yet it is not PC to discuss it. If the BLM movement was actually an honest movement, they would be all over this. But NO. Evidently THOSE LIVES do not matter to them.

2016 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

Last edited:
Have a new job; Community liason officer. These would be the new recruits of the police and for the first year they would be in high vis yellow not black and not armed.

They would be tasked with all the not that serrious trouble that the police have to deal with all the time, such as difficult mentally disturbed types needing a sorting out and stuff. The "you cannot seel your knock off CD's here" type of thing. They would generally be the first on the scene of potential troubel. The first to respond to the noisy party situation.

Obviosly they would be fee to call in back up if required.

By doing this they would learn that most troubles can be dealt with with the gun.

There is a lot of discussion on the "problems" with law enforcement today. So I have to ask, what exactly do YOU think the problems are? And what do you think are some realistic long term solutions to these problems? Can you hash that thought out into something detailed?

My parents would have said bring back segregation.

I would gather inner-city community leaders together (not the likes of Jackson or Sharpton, btw) for a heart-to-heart. I would admit to the shortcomings of police departments nationwide when it comes to appropriate initial training, ongoing refresher training, community involvement, oversight, transparency, timely investigation and public disclosure. Then I would proceed to tell them how THEIR police department was going to change.

Appropriate Initial Training -- I would let them know that we believe we haven't focused enough on de-escalation. That we wanted to put together a community focus group of a half-dozen interested members of the community to work with us in developing a de-escalation training program QUICKLY...and one that would and could evolve as we carefully tracked field experience. And that last part segues right into the Refresher Training.

Community Involvement -- i would tell them how important I thought it was for our officers to interact with their community in some organized social ways. Perhaps school assembles talking about law enforcement as a career... youth group involvement... maybe a cop vs firemen basketball tourney in the neighborhood with the neighborhood fielding a couple of teams... A summer cookout hosted by the cops, firemen and paramedics... a few all-night sleepovers with the cops and young kids... And again asking for a group of three or four to help identify helpful events and help support them in the community.

Oversight, Transparency, Timely Investigation and Public Disclosure -- I would let the community know that I felt many PDs had fallen woefully short in these areas. That our department's goal was a body camera on every officer and every squad car. That we would start the program within ninety days (or better, we'd already started it), and would be 100% compliant within 6 months. I would let the community know we wanted four or five of their members to serve with other oversight members to review perceived problems and make recommendations for disposition. I'd let them know that a public review of particular situations would begin within thirty days of report, and completion/recommendations would be targeted at 90 days or sooner.

In closing, I would ask for a focus group to look at other things the community thought we might do to facilitate a greater sense of cooperation and trust between our PD and their residents... Including what the community might do to help its members interact in a more safe manner with our officers.

Well... You asked. ;)

Have a new job; Community liason officer. These would be the new recruits of the police and for the first year they would be in high vis yellow not black and not armed.

They would be tasked with all the not that serrious trouble that the police have to deal with all the time, such as difficult mentally disturbed types needing a sorting out and stuff. The "you cannot seel your knock off CD's here" type of thing. They would generally be the first on the scene of potential troubel. The first to respond to the noisy party situation.

Obviosly they would be fee to call in back up if required.

By doing this they would learn that most troubles can be dealt with with the gun.

They call those police service techs and I actually have batted that idea around. We have them here. They are mainly for traffic crashes and minor investigative work. Kind of like meter maids. They don't carry guns either. Would be an interesting way of stepping them into the field. One of the first things you should learn in the public service or any profession that involves dealing with the public on a regular basis is that it doesn't matter how many people you meet that are nice, there are always going to be assholes. Bus you should learn how to handle assholes.

My job involves a lot of conversations with people and a lot of liability or insurance type laws. Property damage basically. I had a guy the other day screaming at me the exact same sentence over and over again and I just couldn't help but laugh when his string of cuss words involve some colorful use of things like stuff Christmas turkey. It of course made him absolutely livid that I laughed at him. But sadly in my office some people still get mad at that kind of stuff. I don't take it personally something or just too stupid to help themselves. That is a lesson that some rookie cops need to learn a little faster. And that is something I have heard from multiple officers not just coming from the armchair quarterbacking the job.

I would gather inner-city community leaders together (not the likes of Jackson or Sharpton, btw) for a heart-to-heart. I would admit to the shortcomings of police departments nationwide when it comes to appropriate initial training, ongoing refresher training, community involvement, oversight, transparency, timely investigation and public disclosure. Then I would proceed to tell them how THEIR police department was going to change.

Appropriate Initial Training -- I would let them know that we believe we haven't focused enough on de-escalation. That we wanted to put together a community focus group of a half-dozen interested members of the community to work with us in developing a de-escalation training program QUICKLY...and one that would and could evolve as we carefully tracked field experience. And that last part segues right into the Refresher Training.

Community Involvement -- i would tell them how important I thought it was for our officers to interact with their community in some organized social ways. Perhaps school assembles talking about law enforcement as a career... youth group involvement... maybe a cop vs firemen basketball tourney in the neighborhood with the neighborhood fielding a couple of teams... A summer cookout hosted by the cops, firemen and paramedics... a few all-night sleepovers with the cops and young kids... And again asking for a group of three or four to help identify helpful events and help support them in the community.

Oversight, Transparency, Timely Investigation and Public Disclosure -- I would let the community know that I felt many PDs had fallen woefully short in these areas. That our department's goal was a body camera on every officer and every squad car. That we would start the program within ninety days (or better, we'd already started it), and would be 100% compliant within 6 months. I would let the community know we wanted four or five of their members to serve with other oversight members to review perceived problems and make recommendations for disposition. I'd let them know that a public review of particular situations would begin within thirty days of report, and completion/recommendations would be targeted at 90 days or sooner.

In closing, I would ask for a focus group to look at other things the community thought we might do to facilitate a greater sense of cooperation and trust between our PD and their residents... Including what the community might do to help its members interact in a more safe manner with our officers.

Well... You asked. ;)

The only thing I would add is an increased targeting of criminals who victimize the locals. There was recently a spike in gang crime in my city. I was speaking with an officer who teaches self defense at my dojo/gym. He was a gang unit, and he said as soon as they heard about these guys showing up...the local PD and Sheriff called in state officers and went for the throat.

It was actually really noticeable in some of the worst parts of town. I used to see biker gangs here all the time. And then you had the hood rats. The guy I was talking to was telling me how they were training with special forces on surveillance and all kinds of stuff (we have a military base not far away), and I even remember we had a few shootings too. Basically...they brought the wrath of God down before these people built up a large supply of recruits.

And that is something I think that communities don't understand. Some of these guys they try to protect are NOT their friends. They aren't looking to help them out. They aren't innocent kids. Take the thing the spark on the powder keg: Mike Brown. He had just strong armed a business owner. He has a video of him beating the hell out of some old black Man. The world is better off without him. And that is a sad thing to say about a human being. But our communities need to stop tolerating the victimization of their people. Even our founders knew that at some point it was up to us to resist the criminal tyrants. That was why they wrote the 2nd amendment.

You I am a little sad this topic isn't more popular, but I'm not surprised

Well... You asked. ;)
Great post. I would add legitimate punishment (prosecution, etc.) when warranted. The idea is out there, and I don't think it's wrong, that when a cop does go rogue they still are protected by the system and get off in pretty much all except the most egregious and undeniable high-profile cases.

Note this post only pertains to what police need. The "other side" needs to change, too, most definitely, but this thread is not about that.

You posted on a Saturday... give it time.

I certainly hope it gains traction. Sadly threads like these seem to flounder because nobody wants to step up and have their "ideas" criticized but they want to criticize other's ideas. I really liked what Maggie said and I'm still formulating my ideas. One thing is that our officers should get as much training as nurses do. They currently don't. Not in the class room. Only if you count academy and probationary period

Great post. I would add legitimate punishment (prosecution, etc.) when warranted. The idea is out there, and I don't think it's wrong, that when a cop does go rogue they still are protected by the system and get off in pretty much all except the most egregious and undeniable high-profile cases.

Note this post only pertains to what police need. The "other side" needs to change, too, most definitely, but this thread is not about that.

Well I don't know. I do agree about prosecution. But we can't separate the "other side" from the equation. It is just as important. The escalation has resulted in the NEED for more "paranoid" tactics from law enforcement. Not just the desire. I mean any officer will tell you that they are not hiding when they write reports in public. They have to watch their backs at all times.

Well I don't know. I do agree about prosecution. But we can't separate the "other side" from the equation. It is just as important. The escalation has resulted in the NEED for more "paranoid" tactics from law enforcement. Not just the desire. I mean any officer will tell you that they are not hiding when they write reports in public. They have to watch their backs at all times.

The "other side" absolutely IS important. Neither side operates in a vacuum. But, that wasn't part of your original question.

We could talk about both, and we do do that from time to time, but sometimes it helps to separate the two to hopefully focus and get an undistracted picture. That's what I hoped was going on here.

Ex cop here.

More psych profiling before hiring... imho 20% of officers have no biz wearing a badge, they lack self-control and/or have anger or ego issues.

Make police academy training about twice as long. Spend much of the extra time focusing on Peel's Principles and how to implement same. Spend twice as much time on HTH and custodial restraint methods... back in my day we often dove in and grabbed the guy, we didn't have tazers. These days, they don't seem to know what to do if the tazer fails but shoot.... or dogpile officers until the perp can't breathe.

Reduce the militarization, cut back on the MRAPS and SWAT teams. Honestly they are rarely needed... lots of Podunk towns now have a SWAT team and might actually need it once in fifty years, but they USE it cuz they have to justify having it.

Final thought.... as an ex cop I will admit there is most DEFINITELY an "us vs them" in law enforcement, a "thin blue line" thing where officers tend to close ranks and mouths when they know damn well Ofc. Bluto has been a loose cannon for years. This needs to be rooted out of the system... when a cop goes bad it is TWICE as important that justice is done and SEEN to be done.

Now on the flip side... there is a lot to be said about politicians giving police impossible missions and ****ty laws to enforce, and certain elements of the citizenry making it all but impossible to keep the peace in their neighborhoods...

The "other side" absolutely IS important. Neither side operates in a vacuum. But, that wasn't part of your original question.

We could talk about both, and we do do that from time to time, but sometimes it helps to separate the two to hopefully focus and get an undistracted picture. That's what I hoped was going on here.

Well like you said: it isn't in a vacuum. And honestly I think the worst distraction is the anger.

Ex cop here.

More psych profiling before hiring... imho 20% of officers have no biz wearing a badge, they lack self-control and/or have anger or ego issues.

Make police academy training about twice as long. Spend much of the extra time focusing on Peel's Principles and how to implement same. Spend twice as much time on HTH and custodial restraint methods... back in my day we often dove in and grabbed the guy, we didn't have tazers. These days, they don't seem to know what to do if the tazer fails but shoot.... or dogpile officers until the perp can't breathe.

Reduce the militarization, cut back on the MRAPS and SWAT teams. Honestly they are rarely needed... lots of Podunk towns now have a SWAT team and might actually need it once in fifty years, but they USE it cuz they have to justify having it.

Final thought.... as an ex cop I will admit there is most DEFINITELY an "us vs them" in law enforcement, a "thin blue line" thing where officers tend to close ranks and mouths when they know damn well Ofc. Bluto has been a loose cannon for years. This needs to be rooted out of the system... when a cop goes bad it is TWICE as important that justice is done and SEEN to be done.

Now on the flip side... there is a lot to be said about politicians giving police impossible missions and ****ty laws to enforce, and certain elements of the citizenry making it all but impossible to keep the peace in their neighborhoods...

Those last lines are so true. And they create a vicious circle too.

As for the swat team? I feel ok with additional training for officers. I mean? Ideally? All of your cops should have the equipment and training to respond to those situations that are outsider the already unusual incidents that LEOs put up with. I know that my local department had to call in swat from 1 county over to deal with an active shooter. Not something I want them to have to do. Especially if they had trained with ars and had 1 or 2 guys with repurposed deer rifles.

A good way to start would be to hold officers to the same standard of behavior that their fellow citizens are held to.

When an officer is suspected of a crime, they should not be investigated by fellow officers from their own city/county/etc. That's a clear conflict of interest. Bring in an outside investigator to do it. In a lot of cases, I think you could just allow the next higher level of police in that jurisdiction to handle it. If the city police or county sheriff are accused of a crime, let the state police do the initial investigation. Less conflict of interest.

And then if the investigation results in charges, don't hold the trial in the same court district they work in. Expecting the prosecutor that constantly relies on police testimony to do his job to accurately present a case against an officer is another conflict of interest. So hold the case in a neighboring jurisdiction.

These wouldn't be perfect solutions, but they'd certainly improve things over what happens now.

They call those police service techs and I actually have batted that idea around. We have them here. They are mainly for traffic crashes and minor investigative work. Kind of like meter maids. They don't carry guns either. Would be an interesting way of stepping them into the field. One of the first things you should learn in the public service or any profession that involves dealing with the public on a regular basis is that it doesn't matter how many people you meet that are nice, there are always going to be assholes. Bus you should learn how to handle assholes.

My job involves a lot of conversations with people and a lot of liability or insurance type laws. Property damage basically. I had a guy the other day screaming at me the exact same sentence over and over again and I just couldn't help but laugh when his string of cuss words involve some colorful use of things like stuff Christmas turkey. It of course made him absolutely livid that I laughed at him. But sadly in my office some people still get mad at that kind of stuff. I don't take it personally something or just too stupid to help themselves. That is a lesson that some rookie cops need to learn a little faster. And that is something I have heard from multiple officers not just coming from the armchair quarterbacking the job.

1, Yes.

2, Powerful fruit you have there. LSD filled???

I isn't just about cops. We all know there are some bad cops and it's not even a argument.

But for the most part, the people are a larger part of the problem.

I isn't just about cops. We all know there are some bad cops and it's not even a argument.

But for the most part, the people are a larger part of the problem.

No, it's not even an argument--it's a fact.

Most people prefer to live peacefully. I don't see 'the people' as being the problem so much as lousy laws that have been in effect for decades. IMO the relationship between police and citizens has been soured by decades of the pernicious drug policy the police defend so strongly.

Except for Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. LEAP | Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

I got another thing on my mind... regarding the idea that every Podunk needs a SWAT team and every cop car needs an M4 autorifle in the rack.

When I started we were given the option of carrying a .357 revolver or one of the new Glocks. I was more familiar with revolvers at the time, not to mention they were cheaper (we had to buy our own), so I got a Smith and Wesson Model 13, heavy barrel .357 magnum. I carried two speed loaders... 18 rounds total. The Glock guys commonly carried about 45 rounds in loaded mags.

I didn't feel the least bit under-armed. Back then we were taught that every round needed to be aimed, because every bullet that went astray had a lawsuit attached to it. Not to mention .357 magnum HPs have a strong statistical history of stopping BG's.

Not to mention I routinely outshot almost everyone else at the range, even though we're in a "gun culture" where almost everyone owns and shoots guns. Not that I'm anything remarkable really, plenty of guys who are better, but I can shoot straight and my bullets go where I want.

So I hear things like where the LAPD fired 107 rounds at two innocent women in a case of very mistaken identity, with automatic weapons, and managed to score ONE nonfatal hit, without even the excuse of rounds coming back at them to explain their inability to shoot straight, and I shake my head in amazement.

We recently had a story about a CCW civilian shooting down an AK47 armed robber with a handgun. It doesn't necessarily take heavy firepower to handle armed thugs, just some skill and a little nerve.

Maybe it would help a little if we took a step back from cops that are armed and armored like soldiers, with a war-zone mentality, and spent some more time on marksmanship and HTH skills we'd have fewer incidents like this thing with the two ladies delivering newspapers.

Confidence in your ability to handle trouble goes a long way towards helping prevent fear-driven bad decisions, IMHO.

'Nuther thing. Back when I was a cop I went to the county fair. It was still kind of an event back then.

One of my fellow officers said there was no way she was going to the fair, not without two guns and someone to watch her back. I thought to myself "Yeah, if you weren't such a bitch to everybody maybe you wouldn't feel that way." Not nice, but the truth.

I went to the fair with my wife. While we were there not less than three men I'd had "professional encounters" with approached us. None of them offered any threat, they just wanted to say Hello Officer Goshin Remember Me? and offer their respects and tell me about how they had served their sentence and got out and got a job and so forth.

Scared my poor wife half to death at first, but by the time the third former-criminal had come and gone she was just plain astonished. I said something like "This is how you get treated when you treat people like human beings with respect.... most of them return that respect."

We could do with more of that in law enforcement these days.

Hm, reading back over that it kind of sounds like I'm patting myself on the back too much. That wasn't really my intention... just using personal experiences to point out "it doesn't have to be the way it is".

Most of the problem is media sensationalism. crime overall is down, shootings overall are down ( from both civilians and police ).
As to solutions. mandatory body and dash cams for police. that's better for them and for us.

Back
Top Bottom